A few more questions

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Sorry but I can't find these answers anywhere....:redface:

1. cell reception? 3g?

2. how far to the nearest grocery store?

3. how far to the nearest liquor store? (yeah, I know, this should be #1) :yesnod:

4. electrical outlet(s) available anywhere?

1. No
2. No but quick stop is a short walk (when it's open)
3. No
4. Maybe

I haven't been there in several years so I have some questions as well:

1.) What are the options for food on Friday? Is the plan dinner/drinks at hoppies?
2.) Lunch is being made and available for purchase on Saturday right? dinner/drinks at hoppies again?
3.) Is the breakfast place across form the airport still open?
4.) The bar near the airport burned down didn't it?

I just can't remember all the details anymore and want to make sure we bring whatever supplies we may need.

1. I'm thinkin' that's what usually happens. There were rumors of a fish fry one year.
2. Burgers, etc. for sale seem to be standard for Saturday lunch.
3. Cafe may be open again. Diz posted on it.
4. Bar gone.

No Barb coffee this year. I'll see if I can round up camp stove. Probably have to settle for my single burner...

1. cell reception? 3g?

Depending where you are, you might be able to get a connection. Don't expect to make phone calls. Texts can usually be sent, and I got enough of a data connection to "Check In" on Facebook last time I was up. Don't plan on it happening at the field however.
2. how far to the nearest grocery store?

Depending what you are needing, the gas station adjacent to the field has a few things. If you need a full grocery, it's about a 4-5 mile trip, and we will have a vehicle available to do that.

3. how far to the nearest liquor store? (yeah, I know, this should be #1) :yesnod:
Same as above.
4. electrical outlet(s) available anywhere?
If you want to charge something overnight, we can take care of that. If you want electric at your tent, that's not happening.

I haven't been there in several years so I have some questions as well:
1.) What are the options for food on Friday? Is the plan dinner/drinks at hoppies?
That's the plan.
2.) Lunch is being made and available for purchase on Saturday right? dinner/drinks at hoppies again?
Correct.
3.) Is the breakfast place across form the airport still open?
It had closed, then opened, then closed again. It supposedly opened on the 18th, but I haven't been there to verify.
4.) The bar near the airport burned down didn't it?
Yes it did.
I just can't remember all the details anymore and want to make sure we bring whatever supplies we may need.
Bring cash!

I have a little one-burner camp stove I was thinking of bringing as well. However if someone will have one already, I'd happily save the weight of the stove and the table it goes on. I like my hot chocolate on cold mornings.

I'll definitely have a one burner backpacing stove and maybe a two burner camp stove. It all depends on how much fits in the plane. This will be my first plane/camp so I'll have to experiment and see what I can/can't take. The beer cooler & sleeping bag go in first, everything else is secondary. :rolleyes:

We haven't been camping in a few years & I got all my stuff out yesterday. It's in a helluva lot better shape than I thought it would be (it was stored in a dry room in a big barn/shop that's not free from mice!) Had a little damage to one pillow, otherwise we're rockin'! Even the stoves fired up first try.

This trip will be a primer for me. Later in the month (or in Oct...or both), my lovely bride and I will be taking a 3 to 4 day canoe camping trip...where we pack everything with out & get out of the boat at the end of the day and gravel bar camp. Those are our favorite trips!!

One more "by the way"...

I'll do breakfast Monday morning for everyone who's still around (if I can find groceries). It looks like there will still be about 5 or 6 of us.

Caveat: Right now (well, actually, last time I looked...yesterday) the forecast is for rain moving in Sunday evening and rain on Monday. If that holds, I'll probably bug out Sunday afternoon before the rain arrives.

Update:
The cafe had planned to open on the 18th. He ran into major damage from the previous owner and said that he definitely will be open by Labor Day. That being said, I called him on Sunday to verify and got no answer. I will put that on my list to do today and will post what I find out.

We can make arrangements to make a run to the grocery/liquor store. I have planned for danishes, doughnuts, orange juice and coffee for you all on Sat morn. Ditto that for Sunday if there's anything left. We won't let any of you starve.....please just let us know if there's anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable.

Also, I will dig out our Coleman stove and make it available so you all can pack as lightly as possible.

I just talked with Tom at the Sidnaw Mini-Mart. He has beer and ice and will be open 9-5 all weekend (including Monday). So, it's a safe bet that I can use my beer cooler to pack camping supplies and save quite a bit of space AND about 100#.

Another...by the way...

I'll make up a batch of Tim's kick-a$$ chili Sunday evening for everyone who's still around. IF I can get the ingredients at the local grocery which I assume I can. Otherwise, I'll come up with plan "B".

So, I'll take care of Sunday's dinner and Monday's breakfast for everyone.

Back