A few air to air photos of my Baron...

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
On the way to KFSD last weekend I flew alongside a friend in his Glassair (he came along to bring me home) and he shot a few pictures of the Baron. I put one of them in as my latest Avatar (and my desktop at work) but thought I'd share them for anyone interested. (about 300kb each)

Attachments

• 9025q-1.JPG
    9025q-1.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 9025q-2.JPG
    9025q-2.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 9025q-3.JPG
    9025q-3.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 9025q-4.JPG
    9025q-4.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 9025q-5.JPG
    9025q-5.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 9025q-6.JPG
    9025q-6.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 82
Richard said:
Nice looking bird. Do you get giddy when walking up to it before a flight?

Sometimes. It is a lot more airplane than I expected to be flying when I started 25 years ago in a 152. Chances are I will be bubbling a bit when I go pick it up with the new avionics, as I just fly so I can play with gadgets.

Great shots, Lance and good looking plane...but what's all that white stuff in the background?

deafsound said:
Love the curtains!

I need new curtains everywhere and shortend rods for the 2nd row of seats. An AD came out a while back requiring those rods to be removed because they might impede emergency egress (the second row of windows can be used as an emergency exit. Seemed like a crock to me as the curtains were easy to part, but who knows what it would be like in a real emergency situation. Anyway the AD says you can re-install the rods and curtains if you attach them to the window instead of the airframe which is something I need to do someday.

Ahhhhh the sweet sound of the twin engines dronning along over the snow covered world below!

Must have missed the avionics upgrade post; whadidyou decide to to?

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Ahhhhh the sweet sound of the twin engines dronning along over the snow covered world below!

Must have missed the avionics upgrade post; whadidyou decide to to?

Dave
PM8000B
Avidyne EX500 MFD w/RDS81 interface
Garmin GDL69 XM Wx
Ryan TAS610 TCAS
Garmin GNS-480 GPS/map/Navcom

Plus a few small tweaks like finally getting a Pulselight flasher installed, a pair of low vacuum indicators, ground power switch for the GNS-480 etc. Oh, and the bat-wing VOR-comm antenna is history, replaced with a bent whip on the belly and blade VOR-GS antenna on the tail. I've always been leery of the bat-wing's ability to withstand an ice load. I've seen it have a couple inches on it but I can just picture the thing getting ripped off and banging around the top of the fuselage while hanging on the wires. We've also been talking about adding a second AI to feed the radar for stabilization and to provide backup for the primary, but that probably won't happen this time. I'd like to find an affordable electric solution for that but so far no joy. The best bet for now would be a vacuum driven gyro used on NavMatic 400 (Cessna) autopilots.

I was going to install a Sandel 3500 EHSI, but the TCAS seemed like more value for the money and I'm thinking someone besides Sandel has got to come out with a competitive model, maybe even something that incorporates a PFD like display that replaces both the HSI and the AI. I can dream about that anyway.

I hope the first few days of next week keep me real busy at work 'cause I'm gettin real antsy about getting the plane back.

Last edited:
Well, leave it to you to do a knock out job!!

Been thinkin of upgrading the Bonanza panel and am caught between the MX20/480 combo and going with Garmin 530/430. Like the former, but have the latter in the P-Baron and know them cold.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Lance, Nice plane nice photos. How far apart were you from the glasair when the photos were taken. A friend asked me to take air to air photos of his plane but I declined. Thought it was too much like formation flight and didn't feel secure doing it. can't wait to see photos of your panel.

AdamZ said:
Lance, Nice plane nice photos. How far apart were you from the glasair when the photos were taken. A friend asked me to take air to air photos of his plane but I declined. Thought it was too much like formation flight and didn't feel secure doing it. can't wait to see photos of your panel.
In all but one we were about 200 ft apart laterally and separated vertically by 50 ft. The closest was about 100 ft. I've flown formation a lot closer than that (up to a slight wing overlap) but am out of practice. Also all of this was with the other plane technically leading (I was flying off of him) although he wasn't doing any of the things a lead is supposed to do (like watching for traffic, navigating, basic PIC stuff etc) so I did have to divide my attention between maintaining position and watching for other traffic. He was actually on autopilot and the only pre flight brief we had was that if we had to "knock it off" due to loss of comm or any unexpected problem (like conflicting traffic) I would dive and he would climb since I would always be below him. Not exactly per standard formation flight SOP, but IMO the risk was fairly low.

BTW, some of the biggest risks with inexperienced pilots flying in formation is the join up as the plane you are trying to catch will appear to be very far away with little relative speed until you get close at which point it will appear to visually explode in front of you. Because of this and other risks you aren't likely to perceive without formation training, I agree completely with your reluctance to try this on your own.

Last edited:
Lance F said:
Great shots, Lance and good looking plane...but what's all that white stuff in the background?
I'll use your post to segue into discussing the ground features in the pics.

The pic with the photo plane's wing: it looks like someone had a burn pile recently. Also, given the angle of the ash fallout spread across the snow and in reference to section lines I'd say the winds were either SE or NW at the time.

In another pic it appears there is a small aprt in the middle distance, somewhat parallel to direction of flight.

In all honesty, I am enthralled by the notion of flying in severe clear above a fresh snow fall. In fact, it made me just stare at the background scenery which I suppose I would do if flying in those conditions.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Nice.
Hope you'll do some banking shots, etc next time...

Not without a more experienced formation pilot in the photo plane with a passenger/photographer.

Richard said:

The pic with the photo plane's wing: it looks like someone had a burn pile recently. Also, given the angle of the ash fallout spread across the snow and in reference to section lines I'd say the winds were either SE or NW at the time.

ESE I think. How did you guess the direction of flight (which was WSW)?

In another pic it appears there is a small aprt in the middle distance, somewhat parallel to direction of flight.

We did overfly several airports on the way per the other pilot's xc SOP, but I don't think any of them ended up in the photos. There's lots of surface features around here that look like runways from afar.

In all honesty, I am enthralled by the notion of flying in severe clear above a fresh snow fall. In fact, it made me just stare at the background scenery which I suppose I would do if flying in those conditions.

While I like snow, I don't recall ever being "enthralled" flying over it with the possible exception of doing so in the mountains. The same area is far prettier to me in the summer and autum with lots more color contrasts between the forests, crops, prairies, lakes and rivers.

Great photos Lance. Thanks.

But I got cold just looking at the background.

AdamZ said:
A friend asked me to take air to air photos of his plane but I declined. Thought it was too much like formation flight and didn't feel secure doing it.

Good call Adam. Very good judgement.

Lance. Nice Baron and I'm sure you'll love those avionics. Wow!

Richard said:

It is cool no doubt... (You've done that, haven't you Richard ?)

But for me, when the pretty white snow is covering hugely crevassed icefields &/or mountain ranges that are miles from anywhere and that can eat and slowly freeze airplanes and pilots all day long without even getting tired, I like it a good deal better when it's behind me as another spectacular flying memory survived !

For guessing the winds I looked at which way the ash fell on the snow in relation to the roads which run the four cardinal directions according to town and range geodetic survey.

WRT flying over snow my only experience has been over mtns. Then, all I wanted was to get past as quickly as possible--hostile terrain to be sure. What I had in mind about flying over snow was the flat land as depicted in Lance's wonderful pictures.

Low and slow on skis leaving short tracks between the farmer's fences on a x/c tour on a crisp VFR day would be the best description of what I was thinking.

Richard said:
WRT flying over snow my only experience has been over mtns. Then, all I wanted was to get past as quickly as possible--hostile terrain to be sure. What I had in mind about flying over snow was the flat land as depicted in Lance's wonderful pictures.

Low and slow on skis leaving short tracks between the farmer's fences on a x/c tour on a crisp VFR day would be the best description of what I was thinking.

You bet.
"Aerial snowmobiling" so to speak !
Much more relaxing.

Back