A Few 3rd Class Medical Questions

kjwalker01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Keith
About that time to do my 3rd Class Medical again, and I have a few questions:

1) I'm on hypertension medication and had to send a simple form to the FAA last time showing several days of BP readings and signed by my doctor. No big deal, and I never heard another thing. Will this have to be done again? There have been no changes to the medication, nor need for the medication.

2) Does it matter if I use the same AME or not? I didn't really care for the office staff from the last one.

Thanks in advance!

About that time to do my 3rd Class Medical again, and I have a few questions:

1) I'm on hypertension medication and had to send a simple form to the FAA last time showing several days of BP readings and signed by my doctor. No big deal, and I never heard another thing. Will this have to be done again? There have been no changes to the medication, nor need for the medication.

With your desire to switch AME's, I would suggest obtaining the worksheet with BP readings from your Primary doc and having with you in case it is asked for. Saving the trouble of getting if the new AME requests it.

An additional belt and suspenders item would be to obtain a simple written status letter from your doc saying something like

"Mr. KJWalker is has been prescribed _________ for benign hypertension. His dosage is ____mg taken ___ daily. He tolerates the medication well and there are no adverse side effects. At this time, his BP readings in the office were ___/___, ___/___, and ___/___. At this time, I am not following him for cardiovascular disease."

Someone else might have a better template, but that's the gist. The FAA is happiest when the doctor commits the facts to paper and does it on his letterhead and over his signature.

2) Does it matter if I use the same AME or not? I didn't really care for the office staff from the last one.

Thanks in advance!
Changing AME's is permitted. But do keep in mind the following:

Definition of a Good AME:

1. Is a pilot himself
  2. Isn't an AME just because it sounds cool to have the additional accreditation on his shingle.
  3. Is a Senior AME (with a closet full of BTDT T-shirts) who will be a true advocate for his airmen.
  4. Has the OKC Offices on speed dial
  5. Knows the all of the Senior examiners (the 5 or 6 big swinging Docs) by first name.
  6. Prefers to take charge and issue the more challenging certificates "in office" rather than defer and let someone else "deal with it".
  7. Is not afraid to use said speed dial to reach out to said senior examiner and obtain permission to complete the said "in office" issuance.
Unfortunately, #7 is no longer permitted for 3rd class medicals. But if you can find an AME who used to do this routinely, and still does it for 2nd and 1st class medicals, then you have found a good one.

Just noticed your within 15 miles of my location.....

We need to schedule a hangar flying burger session someday...

With your desire to switch AME's, I would suggest obtaining the worksheet with BP readings from your Primary doc and having with you in case it is asked for. Saving the trouble of getting if the new AME requests it.

An additional belt and suspenders item would be to obtain a simple written status letter from your doc saying something like

"Mr. KJWalker is has been prescribed _________ for benign hypertension. His dosage is ____mg taken ___ daily. He tolerates the medication well and there are no adverse side effects. At this time, his BP readings in the office were ___/___, ___/___, and ___/___. At this time, I am not following him for cardiovascular disease."

Someone else might have a better template, but that's the gist. The FAA is happiest when the doctor commits the facts to paper and does it on his letterhead and over his signature.

Changing AME's is permitted. But do keep in mind the following:

Definition of a Good AME:

1. Is a pilot himself
  2. Isn't an AME just because it sounds cool to have the additional accreditation on his shingle.
  3. Is a Senior AME (with a closet full of BTDT T-shirts) who will be a true advocate for his airmen.
  4. Has the OKC Offices on speed dial
  5. Knows the all of the Senior examiners (the 5 or 6 big swinging Docs) by first name.
  6. Prefers to take charge and issue the more challenging certificates "in office" rather than defer and let someone else "deal with it".
  7. Is not afraid to use said speed dial to reach out to said senior examiner and obtain permission to complete the said "in office" issuance.
Unfortunately, #7 is no longer permitted for 3rd class medicals. But if you can find an AME who used to do this routinely, and still does it for 2nd and 1st class medicals, then you have found a good one.

Excellent answer

Flower Mound, eh?

I'd recommend Dr. Giles over at Kezer Airpark in Springtown just northwest of Ft. Worth. I've been going to him for the past decade and he's a good one.

Thanks for the link to that letter. It is dated June of this year, which would explain still needing the 3 readings in March. I'll just take a copy of it with me.

I think your AME is just a little behind the times. I've been on the hypertension CACI since June 2013 and did not have to provide the three readings then either.

Back