A/FD gets a new name

I'm just surprised at all the "Europe is awesome America sucks" must be why we are trying to ruin the best ATC system in the world and be like Europe and have people here cheer it on. Who's with me?

Europe! Europe! Europe!

I think you completely miss my point.

I think the "point" is pretty weak, and I'm all Red-Blooded Rah-Rah 'Merica and all that, but history doesn't back up the "point".

We may have made stuff in BULK better than anyone else when we had a massive building industry, but we didn't "come up with" most of this stuff.

We INTEGRATED a lot of it and made some procedures around all of it that keep airliners from tangling overhead, but the tech and the actual inventions, weren't really all from "here".

I'm just surprised at all the "Europe is awesome America sucks" must be why we are trying to ruin the best ATC system in the world and be like Europe and have people here cheer it on. Who's with me?

Europe! Europe! Europe!

You really do have trouble distinguishing "relevant" from "awesome," don't you?

Sorry, Ed. It's stupid. Pick a real battle. The ATC system will work the exact same way regardless of what we name the publication formerly known as A/FD.

> "Yeah, I have to go with EdFred on this one. Here's the thing. Who developed aviation? Who set the standards? Who produced the technology?"

France? Just a guess since most of our aviation terms are French.

Wikipedia says he was born in France.

Wikipedia says he was born in France.

Correct. I'm pulling your leg like Ed is pulling everyone's also. Chanute was not the first to use the word. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see who was paying attention. ;)

Even the French called them "horizontal rudders" until 1908. Then someone called them "ailerons".

The assertion was that where development of the items was done was where they were named. This simply isn't true. Everyone called them whatever they made up at the time. Aileron stuck for whatever reason.

Dumont called them "gouvernails auxiliares".

The Wrights had a pretty good lawyer who envisioned control methods that included mechanical devices that controlled lateral bank, which allowed them to defend their patent, even though they originally employed "wing warping".

The first use of "aileron" outside of France was in a publication in Britain in 1909 as far as anyone can tell.

And of course, aileron simply means "little wing" in French. So it's not a bad name. But not all that special either. :)

Langweishche was still calling elevators, "flippers" in 1944. ;)

I'm just surprised at all the "Europe is awesome America sucks"
Which, of course, no one here even remotely suggested.

Whenever someone accurately corrects factually-inaccurate, wildly-exaggerated praise of America, you translate the correction to "America sucks". It's as though it's unimportant to you whether people say what's true; what matters instead is to be a faithful, uncritical cheerleader for your team.

Last edited:
Reading the responses, it certainly reads as "American has contributed nothing to aviation"

Reading the responses, it certainly reads as "American has contributed nothing to aviation"
Yes, that's my point. It somehow reads to you as though people are saying that, when in fact no one said anything of the sort (which is why you are unable to supply an actual quote from anyone to illustrate your claim).

Not only did no one say anything resembling your translation, we in fact said the exact opposite. My own remarks, for example, repeatedly praised the contribution of the Wrights, while rejecting the jingoist ignorance of insisting that America has had a near monopoly on aviation advances.

Line up and wait, english proficient, lets privatize/user fee the airspace, etc...

If you love Europe so much, go there. Don't turn us into it.

I agree that privatization and user fees would be a capitulation. Changing some terminology and documenting that we are English proficient are trivial in comparison. In fact, documenting English proficiency is more of an imposition on the rest of the world than it is on us.

Yes, that's my point. It somehow reads to you as though people are saying that, when in fact no one said anything of the sort (which is why you are unable to supply an actual quote from anyone to illustrate your claim).

Not only did no one say anything resembling your translation, we in fact said the exact opposite. My own remarks, for example, repeatedly praised the contribution of the Wrights, while rejecting the jingoist ignorance of insisting that America has had a near monopoly on aviation advances.
No no, you don't understand: Everything is either back or white; there are no shades of gray! ;)

I agree that privatization and user fees would be a capitulation.
I don't think even that is "capitulation" because it isn't the Europeans or ICAO who want that change for us. It is proposed by groups in our own country.

I don't think even that is "capitulation" because it isn't the Europeans or ICAO who want that change for us. It is proposed by groups in our own country.
It could be thought of as capitulation to a trend (or fad).

There is a lot that is happening in Europe, and in other places of the world that is good and worth emulating.

Boys and girls, anyone who's been on the forum for more than a day knows we can all get into a ****ing match over the colour of the sky. I really miss TCAS and I'll miss the AFD but I'll get over it. But I will NEVER get over Corvette "European" styled headlamps. If I wanted a European headlamp, I would buy an old Jag, not the Ford knockoff nor the tatas.

I think Trump should be made aware of this issue! :D

There is a lot that is happening in Europe, and in other places of the world that is good and worth emulating.

Didn't the French invent aviation? Didn't they beat the Wright brothers? ;) ;)

Aren't some of the presidential candidates interested in making the US more like Europe? ;) ;)

:D (stirs pot)

Boys and girls, anyone who's been on the forum for more than a day knows we can all get into a ****ing match over the colour of the sky. I really miss TCAS and I'll miss the AFD but I'll get over it. But I will NEVER get over Corvette "European" styled headlamps. If I wanted a European headlamp, I would buy an old Jag, not the Ford knockoff nor the tatas.

TCAS went away? ;)

Back