A different type of air race

I had the Red Baron, too.. possibly the best flying of all the Cox models. They molded it in different colors and called it different things. Had a Cox Ryan ST-3, too, with a throttled .020, don't think that one ever completed more than a lap and a half.

But the best Cox model may have been the Dune Buggy, complete with a recoil starter. I played with that incessantly. Ever since, I've wanted a classic Meyers Manx... someday maybe...

My most fun flying CL model was a converted Guillow's SE-5. It was supposed to be either rubber band powered or .020 powered free flight model. In converted it to an .049 powered CL model. eliminated the dihedral on the bottom wing for strength, shortened the fuselage front by one section to get the CG about right and converted the fixed elevators to move and installed a bell crank to control them. It was actually slow (probably underpowered for the drag) but would loop happily. I put a lot of hours on that one.
SE-5A.jpg

I had the Red Baron, too.. possibly the best flying of all the Cox models. They molded it in different colors and called it different things. Had a Cox Ryan ST-3, too, with a throttled .020, don't think that one ever completed more than a lap and a half.

But the best Cox model may have been the Dune Buggy, complete with a recoil starter. I played with that incessantly. Ever since, I've wanted a classic Meyers Manx... someday maybe...

Yep, I had that same dune buggy. Had a blast with that thing.

My most fun flying CL model was a converted Guillow's SE-5.
I built an S.E.5a for C/L while I was in Korea, '81-ish. It wasn't the little one, though -- it was designed for, if I recall correctly, either .29 to .35 or .15 to .29 power. It was a Sterling kit, I believe. It wasn't as big as the .40-.50 Top Flite kit. Anyway, it flew once... I'd only flown C/L a couple of times before when I was a kid, and over-controlled it a little. I fixed the crash damage, but in the end a case of "hangar rash" in the barracks was the end of its life. It was a pretty nice little distraction for a while, though.

I've always had a soft spot for the S.E.5a.

Scientific Red Devil, Dumas A7 Corsair II, Super Ringmaster, Midwest ME-109 were my first few.

Just built another of the last three in the last two years, reliving my youth!

Tools

Back