A different kind of flying

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
As some of you may know, I've not been flying powered AC due to some medical issues, and took up hang gliding. I've had a good number of mountain flights, and earlier this spring started taking lessons to get my aerotow rating. Just like gliders, the HG is towed aloft behind an airplane (tug), specifically the Moyes Dragonfly.

These lessons were pretty challenging, as HGs are very light, and thus very susceptible to wind gusts and thermals. Having a good instructor is really important here, as there are a lot of things to think about, especially early in the tow close to the ground. Aerotow done poorly is a good way to get dead fast.

Well, I had my checkride last Saturday, followed by three solo tows. It was a total blast, I really love the challenge of this type of flying. Hopefully I will get my last two solos this weekend and satisfy the signoff requirements for the rating.

Taking off in the glider is a lot more challenging than taking off in a piston single, but that much more fun as well.

Yeah, as my grandfather used to say, "time to **** or get off the pot".

I'm happy to temporarily plane-sit, if it's getting lonely.......

I'm happy to temporarily plane-sit, if it's getting lonely.......

Ha! Thanks for the offer, but the other partners are flying her often! I just need to sell my share, it's time.

more importantly, I hope everything works out for you health-wise.

Actually sounds more fun than flying a conventional airplane! Not too long ago I was watching some paragliders. If I had been alone and not with some other people on a schedule, I would have been very tempted.

IMG_2690.jpg

more importantly, I hope everything works out for you health-wise.

Thanks! Health wise, I'm good now, but the FAA demands a lot of expensive tests. I've had enough and am moving on.

That aero tow method sounds like GA's answer to water skiing.

That aero tow method sounds like GA's answer to water skiing.

Not really, the goal is the same as flying gliders. The tug tows you to altitude, then you release and go try to find some thermals and extend your flight. Mainly, the rating means I can fly more often than I can from the mountain, as the mountain requires NW winds to be flyable.

Awesome. Soaring is very addictive. Just be careful with your knees. hang/paragliding is rough in the "landing gear".

Gliding in a sailplane may still be an option as well.

Where do you fly out of?

I could be wrong, but it would seem that a hang glider would be a lot more physically demanding than just sitting on your thumbs in a 172 - Yes? No?

Want to do that someday. Don't know why, but I think Hang Gliders are the bees knees but can't bet my gumption up for parachutes.

Gliding in a sailplane may still be an option as well.

Where do you fly out of?

Yes, don't need a medical for gliders, correct? I fly hang gliders in NW Georgia, but Chilhowie Gliderport is not far from me and I understand the owner Sarah is a world class pilot and instructor.

I could be wrong, but it would seem that a hang glider would be a lot more physically demanding than just sitting on your thumbs in a 172 - Yes? No?

It is in a lot of ways, especially foot launching. You will do a LOT of running with a 60# glider on your back while training. The aerotow can be a workout if the air is active, but free flight is very peaceful. No engine, no vibration, just the gentle rustle of wind in your ears. It's great to be able to look in almost all directions and the breeze on your face is wonderful.

Want to do that someday. Don't know why, but I think Hang Gliders are the bees knees but can't bet my gumption up for parachutes.

Hang gliding only uses parachutes in an emergency situation. Most carry a chute all their flying career without ever having to deploy. Landings are similar to aircraft, we do a tight downwind/base/final, the only difference is your legs are the landing gear. Paragliding, OTOH, uses a soft wing that is very similar to some parachutes, and uses the forward progress thru the air to keep the wing inflated and in shape.

When you have a moment, peruse the USHPA web site:

https://www.ushpa.org/
https://www.ushpa.org/page/hang-gliding-frequently-asked-questions

Lookout Mountain? I visited that launch ramp when I was down there years ago for the ridge camp at KAPT. That launch ramp is pretty gnarly.

And even if you don't get hooked on gliders, visit Chilhowee and go fly with Sarah. She's a great person and instructor, and it was probably one of the best commercial sites I have visited.

Once you get good at this stuff the Sequatchie ridge is an absolute blast.

Lookout Mountain? I visited that launch ramp when I was down there years ago for the ridge camp at KAPT. That launch ramp is pretty gnarly.

And even if you don't get hooked on gliders, visit Chilhowee and go fly with Sarah. She's a great person and instructor, and it was probably one of the best commercial sites I have visited.

Once you get good at this stuff the Sequatchie ridge is an absolute blast.

Yes, LMFP. Did you visit when they had the old ramp or the newer radial ramp? The radial ramp is really nice, this is me launching off the ramp.

IMG_4682.JPG
If I get a chance I may get up to Chilhowie, but I picked HG just due to convenience, the mountain launch is only about 18min from the house. And yes, I hope to get up to the Tennesse Tree Toppers site sometime and fly the Sequatchie.

Have a flight attendant friend who hangs glide there somewhere in NW Ga, not sure if he still does though.

I've always enjoyed watching them jump off the mtn. Hopefully one day I can get up there and do a tandem intro jump, have yet to cross that and skydiving off my bucket list. Glad you're having a good time Bill!

Hopefully one day I can get up there and do a tandem intro jump

The discovery flights are tandem aerotows. The instructor will fly you to 2500agl behind the tug and then will let you fly most of the way back to the ground. It is a very nice ride and a good way to quickly and cheaply see if HG might be for you. Look on Groupon for good deals.

Actually sounds more fun than flying a conventional airplane! Not too long ago I was watching some paragliders. If I had been alone and not with some other people on a schedule, I would have been very tempted.

View attachment 46271
They do tandem paraglide rides at lookout mountain. Definitely worth doing! I felt like a bird more than I ever had before. I'd love to get into it if the gear wasn't so expensive!

You should be able to send the FAA the picture of you launching in lieu of the expensive tests they require. :)

The discovery flights are tandem aerotows. The instructor will fly you to 2500agl behind the tug and then will let you fly most of the way back to the ground. It is a very nice ride and a good way to quickly and cheaply see if HG might be for you. Look on Groupon for good deals.

I looked into it a few years back when I went up there and found out the pricing wasn't too bad, just a matter of getting myself to do it. I'll have to see what I can find. Thx

Back