A different 172

Thanks.
Of course, budget is always a prime factor, and I left that out.

I am hoping to keep my purchase under $100k, including any necessary panel upgrades, like ADS-B, engine monitor and moving maps and Auto pilot. (our trip from Fla to Phx last year was a long one in the 172 with 30kt headwinds practically the whole way and hand flying every mile) And the lower the time on the engine, the better. I don't want to have to eat another engine replacement for a lot of years.

I was really hoping to get a shot at Teethdoc's, M20J, but he sold it while I was trying to schedule a trip up there.
I have a line on a 1966 Debonair and another M20J, but they are priced a little high. I'd also love a 182, largely because I am so familiar with the 172.

You seem to have a better handle on your needs than most!

With those kinds of trips and time requirements, a 172 is definitely not your long-term plane.

I had very similar needs, with a 1-day requirement from El Paso to the NY area.

The one thing you didn't put down was your budget. I ended up zeroing in on an early M20J, and the older Debs and Bo's. Was interested in the single Grummans as well, but they didn't have the high altitude performance or range I was looking for, and 182s were too slow for the fuel burn.

Flew a Deb and the Mooney repeatedly, and ended up with the Mooney. Could have gone either way, but I liked the additional efficiency of the J, and the cramped entry didn't bother me or the family.

Love the long legs, too. ELP to Chicago is over 1000nm, and I have done that non-stop, when the winds are right, on 64 gal tanks. With that kind of range, I can take on some really large diversions (think multiple states away) around weather and still make my destination. That wing also has a service ceiling of 18,800' at gross, and in the 20's light.

Overall, very happy with the purchase, and would likely have been so with the Deb as well.

You may want to make up a spreadsheet with the GPH, Cruise speed, and ranges of the short list you are looking at. You can quickly generate a fuel cost/mile (a Bo or J is much more economical over those distances than a 172).

See how long it will take you to do your trips with fuel turnarounds, and what those flights will cost you in the planes you are looking at. It gave me a much better idea of what I needed to purchase, and for me that required sucking up the gear.

Thanks.
Of course, budget is always a prime factor, and I left that out.

I am hoping to keep my purchase under $100k, including any necessary panel upgrades, like ADS-B, engine monitor and moving maps and Auto pilot. (our trip from Fla to Phx last year was a long one in the 172 with 30kt headwinds practically the whole way and hand flying every mile) And the lower the time on the engine, the better. I don't want to have to eat another engine replacement for a lot of years.

I was really hoping to get a shot at Teethdoc's, M20J, but he sold it while I was trying to schedule a trip up there.
I have a line on a 1966 Debonair and another M20J, but they are priced a little high. I'd also love a 182, largely because I am so familiar with the 172.
I don't think the 182 is going to buy you much since you're not load limited. The speed difference just isn't enough to be worth switching airplanes over. If you get the long range tanks you might have more range but it's just not enough to be worth it.

Before you buy a diesel powered airplane, ask the seller about the 'TBR'.

I'm probably biased, but look into a Comanche 260. Might be a larger cabin than you need though.

Back