A Day of Family Flying at Leesburgh, VA (JYO)

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
My cousin (well, one of my cousins) and I are planning a "Family Flying Day" on April 23rd at Leesburg Exec (JYO). (Why the heck is it JYO?). The plan is to fly down from KMTN to JYO and then take up small batches of the family for 45 minute flights.

We're looking at up to 7 adults (not including my wife and I) and 6 kids. 2 of the adults (Tom and his wife) will fly down and back with us and will be going to see the rest of the family, so it will actually be 5 adults and 6 kids while everyone else socializes at or near the airport.

Anyway here's how I'm thinking of breaking up the flights:
Adult 1 (Ed) and Kids 1 & 2 (Luke and Kyle)
Adult 2 (David) and Kids 3 & 4 (Danni and Jason)
Adult 3 (Roy) and Kids 5 & 6 (Timmy and Katie)
Adults 4 & 5 (Dave and Trina - Husband and Wife)

Ed is single but Luke and Kyle are teens (Well Luke may be 12...), so we figure they're ok in the back seat w/o Dad.
Danni and Jason (David's) and Timmy and Katie (Ed's) are all under 10, so having Dad in the plane for them, I think, is wise.

Leesburg Specific Questions
  • Does anyone know if Leesburg has somewhere on field for our family to hang out? Or maybe picnic facilities?
  • ADIZ out of JYO - if I am going to do stay in the ADIZ I don't need more than 1 plan - but if I'm going to be skirting the edge of the ADIZ and maybe flying outside of it by 1 mile or so, will ATC let me keep my squak and use a single flight plan per flight?
General Planning Questions and Thoughts
  • Parents and people who've done Flying days - does it make sense to have the younger kids with their dads? I think so but I wonder if I'm missing anything.
  • Its a full day of flying, for sure, but the good news is both David and Tom have PPLs themselves (haven't flown in years tho). I was thinking that, to help conserve energy, I can let them sit right seat, and Tom can handle the controls during the en-route to and from JYO (and I know, no medical, he can't log it) - and David can have the controls for the "sight seeing" part of his flight w/ his kids if he wants, I just have to keep a sharp eye on where we are.
Anyone done a similar kind of "Family flying day" got any wisdom tips to share?

Oh - and Liz - aren't you out of JYO?

Chuck,

Come out to OKV. No ADIZ to contend with, there are picnic tables outside the terminal building, and you are only 35-40 minutes west of Leesburg.

Greg
182RG

Greg - appreciate the suggestion - but the choice of Leesburgh is driven by where the cousins all live. Dave + kids and Roy + kids, David and Trina all live very near Leesburg and are arriving via ground transporation.

We considered FDK as another outside the ADIZ location - but we're trying to make this easy on the single dads with kids. (David and Roy are both going through divorces right now...yuck)

Back