A day in the life of a (student) pilot

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
WX forecast was looking AWESOME for today for the last couple of days. Got up at 5am to do a solid hour of work before my scheduled long Solo XC, get to the airport, call for my briefing. At my first scheduled stop (TTA), RUNWAY CLOSED until Thursday. Also, in the meantime, winds are picking up considerably, enough for me and my CFI to be 'cautious'. Decided in the end it would just be best to head up to JQF for some practice and fun. It was definitely squirrely up there, decided to come home, .8 on the hobbs. Still had a blast!

......and home in time for football!

Attachments

• JQF.jpg
    JQF.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 55
It looked like a crystal clear day up and down the Eastern Seaboard, but turbulence advisories a-plenty. I flew Saturday with the wife - amazing color in the trees this time of year.

Okay let's see, student pilot days....

1. Get up in the morning, head pounding, wonder if that chick left yet. Good, she's gone. Pop a couple Motrins. Clean up all the beer bottles.

2. Look outside. Marine layer is thick. Crap. I'm supposed to be flying at noon. I hope it clears up then.

3. Drag myself in to the gym. I already missed a couple hours of work, what's a couple more. Get chewed out by the big fat butch looking facilities lady for occupying the sauna while the wet area was shut down for cleaning.

4. Still hung over, need food. Head to Lenny's. Hot damn that's a sweet looking blonde waitress. Prop the flight bag up in to a prominent position. "Are you a pilot?" Hell heah, things are starting to go my way.

5. Check WX, I dunno, clouds are still hanging around. Pull out the John and Martha King book and squint at the chapter on weather, wondering if it's possible to make a textbook any more condescending.

6. Riiiiinnnnng. "Yo CFI, we on for noon still?"
"Fo shizzle. You study your dizzle?"
"Like a hizzle!"
"See you in a lizzle!"

7. Rotating beacon stopped. VFR weather! Yay! CFI approaches the plane. "This thing airworthy?"
"Um, wing count, two, there is gas in the tanks, oil is leaking out of the engine so I guess there is some in it. No major structural cracks. Most of the items on the MEL are present and at least the important ones are operational."
"What about that right tire? Looking a little bald maybe?"
"I thought we were flying today, not driving on the ground?"
"Hahahahaha got you! Just checking. Let's f***king go!"

8. "Dude you're like all over the taxiway. Keep it on the line!"
"Which one?"

9. "Okay so, right of way question. Who has right of way, you, or an airship?"
"An airship."
"Very good, I'd suggest then that you head ten more degrees to the left. That hot air balloon wants to pass us."

10. "So, during our flight this afternoon, what have you learned?"
"That a King Air is surprisingly maneuverable when you enter the pattern in the wrong direction!"

Back