A couple of pilot jobs - picture

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
Got this from my wife's nephew. He training as an air attack boss. Not sure if he took it or not.

Attachments

• lead_airtanker.jpg
    lead_airtanker.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 97
Eric,

My CFI Glider is currently adding on his power rating with the goal of doing single engine fire fighting. If your nephew is willing or interested, Im sure he would like to hear from someone actually doing it. PM me contact info if this is the case.

tonycondon said:
Eric,

My CFI Glider is currently adding on his power rating with the goal of doing single engine fire fighting. If your nephew is willing or interested, Im sure he would like to hear from someone actually doing it. PM me contact info if this is the case.

I should have explained a little more. An air attack boss is sort of a Fire Fighting ATC. They circle the incident usually in a twin and control the air resources and coordinate with the ground for where to use the aircraft and to make sure folks are out of the way. Aircraft are a mix of multi and single engine airtankers plus helos droping water or moving personnel. Nephew is not a pilot but very experience fire fighter.

I'll try to dig up something on SEAT piloting. All that is contracted out. Most of the pilots are ag pilots.

Forest Service pilots - the one in the lead plane need 1500 hours and must be less than 35 years old.

tonycondon said:
Eric,

Here's a list of all the SEAT contractors with the Federal government.

http://www.oas.gov/apmd/seat/cwnseat.pdf

More info on SEATs and fire aviation:
http://www.aviation.blm.gov/airops.htm#SEATs
http://www.aviation.blm.gov/airops.htm
http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/aviation/

thanks eric for clearing up my confusion, ill point him this way to the links.

ejensen said:
Which one? :)

Only those and P2Vs still flying, at least for the Feds.

Oops sorry. The first photo in the thread. P-3s are a very common sight here. They follow the river between Mayport and Jax so I get to see them coming and going at low altitude a lot.

ejensen said:
Which one? :)

Only those and P2Vs still flying, at least for the Feds.

Haha, It is REALLY easy to miss the second airplane in that picture. The P3, fire, and retardant take up almost all of your attention.

Frank Browne said:
Oops sorry. The first photo in the thread. P-3s are a very common sight here. They follow the river between Mayport and Jax so I get to see them coming and going at low altitude a lot.

I was joking a little. There are two planes in the picture. I missed the King Air on my first look.

ejensen said:
I was joking a little. There are two planes in the picture. I missed the King Air on my first look.

Holy crap! I totally overlooked the KingAir! That splanes alot. :redface:

Most tanker lead planes are contract also. For that matter most patrol planes (fire patrol planes) are contract.

I always thought that a lead plane assignment would be pretty darn cool.

ejensen said:
Got this from my wife's nephew. He training as an air attack boss. Not sure if he took it or not.

That P-3 belongs to Aero-union inc the largest contract fire fighting outfit. they are located in Che-co(sp) Ca.

That P-3 has 4, T-56-A14 giving 5700 horses each.

P3 is an amazing craft. I listened to a presentation by the pilot of the P3 that got ran into by a chinese fighter and landed in china a few years back. Amazing stuff. Hell of a piloting job just to get it on the ground. Good chunk of left wing and both left engines were messed up. He said he tore his shoulder out fighting the controls to keep the wings level. yowza!

alaskaflyer said:
Most tanker lead planes are contract also. For that matter most patrol planes (fire patrol planes) are contract.

I always thought that a lead plane assignment would be pretty darn cool.

Most the Forest Service leads are still Federal employees, at least down here. Since the P-Barons were all grounded they've been leasing the planes. Tried TBM700s and KingAirs.

We're down to two owned aircraft in this Region, a T206 for bug mapping and a King Aire A100 photo ship. Both are drug 'repros'.

tonycondon said:
P3 is an amazing craft. I listened to a presentation by the pilot of the P3 that got ran into by a chinese fighter and landed in china a few years back. Amazing stuff. Hell of a piloting job just to get it on the ground. Good chunk of left wing and both left engines were messed up. He said he tore his shoulder out fighting the controls to keep the wings level. yowza!

That aircraft is now back flying, and has a mig painted on the nose.

I have the FE working with me here at AIMD Whidbey.

ejensen said:
Most the Forest Service leads are still Federal employees, at least down here. Since the P-Barons were all grounded they've been leasing the planes. Tried TBM700s and KingAirs.

We're down to two owned aircraft in this Region, a T206 for bug mapping and a King Aire A100 photo ship. Both are drug 'repros'.

Really?!? Surprising...

The last big fire I was on they all seemed to be contract guys, most ex-military jocks. Which suited the work no doubt, basically a strafing run with no rockets or guns, followed by a bombing run from the big boys with retardant instead of bombs!

tonycondon said:
He said he tore his shoulder out fighting the controls to keep the wings level. yowza!

I believe it! I was once lucky enough to have the chance to spend a day in the P-3 sim at NAS Jax and I learned real quick that you have to fly that thing with the trim wheels. When the P-3 is trimmed for straight and level, it definately wants to stay straight and level!

NC19143 said:
That aircraft is now back flying, and has a mig painted on the nose.

I have the FE working with me here at AIMD Whidbey.

I hope the Chinese take notice the next time they fly up close to that bird. Good lesson for them.

NC19143 said:
That P-3 belongs to Aero-union inc the largest contract fire fighting outfit. they are located in Che-co(sp) Ca.

That P-3 has 4, T-56-A14 giving 5700 horses each.

They've got a HUGE hangar up at Chico. Good looking planes though.

Last time I was up there I pulled the gear up to keep out of the way of their tankers inbound.

Ghery said:
I hope the Chinese take notice the next time they fly up close to that bird. Good lesson for them.

I understand that has stopped.

Back