A conversation BFI tower and 2623V

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
A long time ago, I was trying to leave Boing Field, after taix instructions got me to 34R hold short, the tower asks me can I expedite my departure, there is a 747 at 5 miles on final, can you go?
My answer was "See ya,,, bye bye"

All I heard was laughter in the tower cab. and "report shillshow bay out bound."

got a similar ?

I'm sure I'm not the first one to use this line, but it got a chuckle from the tower.

Landed RWY 4 at KPGD (Punta Gorda, FL) close to the numbers and proceeded to taxi the ~.5 mile to the turnoff.
TWR: Cessna 123 - Can you expedite your taxi?
Me: We're pedaling as fast as we can!
TWR: Thanks (Laughter in the background.)

A long time ago, I was trying to leave Boing Field, after taix instructions got me to 34R hold short, the tower asks me can I expedite my departure, there is a 747 at 5 miles on final, can you go?
My answer was "See ya,,, bye bye"

All I heard was laughter in the tower cab. and "report shillshow bay out bound."

Did you obtain a takeoff clearance at some point?

This may not be what you're looking for, but something like twenty years ago, I was holding short of Boeing Field's long runway for an intersection takeoff. I watched as a large jet landed, and I saw that the nosewheel came down before the plane reached my intersection. After the jet exited the runway, the tower controller told me "cleared for immediate takeoff or hold short." Since I had been taught that wake turbulence ends when the nosewheel touches down, I said I would take off immediately, and did so.

I was departing Phoenix one evening. Temperature at departure was about 109.

When I contacted departure they asked me what altitude I would like. I replied, "65 degrees, please."

They were not amused....

I got one back the other day. I had just punched in a lengthy reroute when not five minutes later the next controller gave me another advise when ready to copy. When I said something about it (OK, complained just a little bit) he Pax reply was " Well, we're going to give you some frequent flyer miles today".

Had to laugh.

The only time I said anything that I'm sure elicited laughter in the tower was back in 2000 when I was student pilot. Both my CFI and I were Extra Class amateur radio operators. Did that help my ability to talk on an aircraft radio? Not in the least. I'm not sure what I said, but it sure came out jumbled, whatever it was.

You should have given it to them in CW.

The only time I said anything that I'm sure elicited laughter in the tower was back in 2000 when I was student pilot. Both my CFI and I were Extra Class amateur radio operators. Did that help my ability to talk on an aircraft radio? Not in the least. I'm not sure what I said, but it sure came out jumbled, whatever it was.

Cq, cq, anyone out there in the pattern please advise. :D:nono:

A long time ago....

I was returning to LVK in some typical summer afternoon winds in a J3 Cub. I reported to the tower I was at Altamont Pass inbound for landing. About five, or maybe it was ten, minutes later they asked where I was and I said "still at Altamont but making good progress"

No GPS back then but I'd estimate my groundspeed was about 30 based on how fast the semis climbing up the pass below were overtaking me. Fortunately I had brought along a snack.

Here's audio from an exchange I had with Teterboro tower (and later ground) coming in on a visual in my previous Cirrus following the mighty Citation X. I was overtaking him by 50 knots and they asked me to slow down multiple times which I thought was funny. At the end, the Citation was taxiing back on the parallel taxiway while I had to hold and wait for them to pass (I obviously made an earlier turn-off from the runway than they did) which is why she said 'you didn't catch us'

Attachments

• N135SR faster than Citation X.mp3
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
Taxiing out of Signature at Minneapolis years ago in my Maule onVictor taxiway (used to be on the northwest end of the ramp)...

(Ground) Maule 026, can you take it on the roll?
(Me) Affirmative.
(Ground) Keep it rolling around the corner, from the intersection, cleared for takeoff. Contact tower when able.

After taking the corner on one main and lifting off before getting to the centerline...
(Me) Tower, Maule 026 off runway 12R.
(Tower) Maule 026, left turn as soon as able, traffic holding in position on the parallel.
(Me) roger, in the left turn.

waited til I was past the new parking garage, made my turn, and was on my merry way.
(Tower) Maule 026, contact departure.
(Me) Thanks for the great service!

Oh, but you such a gentleman!!! Did you asker her to "copy a number?" By chance?

Here's audio from an exchange I had with Teterboro tower (and later ground) coming in on a visual in my previous Cirrus following the mighty Citation X. I was overtaking him by 50 knots and they asked me to slow down multiple times which I thought was funny. At the end, the Citation was taxiing back on the parallel taxiway while I had to hold and wait for them to pass (I obviously made an earlier turn-off from the runway than they did) which is why she said 'you didn't catch us'

That's awesome :yes:

I was listening to LIVEATC a week or two ago while checking POA and emails and I hear this incoming aircraft get handed off from ZLC to tower on the Zulu approach..

Landing plane to tower: Bizjet12345 at DNW inbound for landing.

Tower: 12345 , advise final approach fix

About two minutes later, this....

12345:, who the heck came up with the fix names, I can't pronounce any of them. Voice of pilot kinda laughing in back ground..

Tower: They get harder as you get closer..:lol::rofl:.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1510/00504IZLD19.PDF

For the next few minutes all the tower and 12345 could do is key the mic and laugh their asses off...

I had tears in my eyes, it was so funny.....

A few years ago I was in the pattern at KDVT. As is typical for that airport there was a lot of student activity that day and the tower controllers were very busy.

Usually the tower is composed of both male and female crew members. But on this particular day it was a female only crew and they were doing a great job.

As one anonymous aviator was handed off by tower to ground, he complemented the tower crew for their good work and then questioned if the male controllers were off that day.

A female voice responded to the inquiry, "Yes that's right. Today the tower is unmanned."

That brought a smile and chuckle for those of us still on frequency. :)

Last edited:
Back