A company that will build your kit aircraft for you? (GA-Aerospace)

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
https://www.ga-aerospace.com/

I was on Barnstormers and noticed an ad for this site. It seems this is an organization that will build your kit aircraft for you if you don’t wish to build it yourself. I always thought the builder was required to do 51%+ of the work, so would this even be legal?
Has anyone ever heard of this company and are they good? Also, how much extra would it cost for them to build the kit?

I confess I haven’t done much research on them or any possible changes to aviation law that allows a person to hire someone to build their aircraft vs. half the work themselves. I saw this and thought I’d ask on here.

Ok thanks. Like that old saying goes, “if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is”.
For E-AB, I will point out that the so called 51% rule does not mean that you did 51% of the actual work - it means that you scored over half on the checklist in AC 20-27G Big difference. Your commercial assistant can do quite a bit of work - but how much depends a lot on the design / kit. And, it's not a "write a check, pick up an airplane" sort of deal.

No builder has to do 51% of the work for any experimental amateur built aircraft. The 51% rule applies to FAA approval of kits which cannot be so prefab'd as to only require assembly and no fabrication by the builder(s). The FAA has a formula for determining whether a kit qualifies to be sold to anyone and be licensed as "amateur built." A group of people can build a qualifying kit and no single person needs any particular percentage of work accomplished. Whoever is designated the primary builder can then apply for the repairman's certificate for that airframe. The applicant for a repairman's certificate should be familiar with the construction of the entire aircraft since he will be responsible for certifying its safe condition for flight, but he doesn't have to have any particular percentage of personal construction experience as long as he has some level of construction experience for that airframe.

A group of people can build a qualifying kit and no single person needs any particular percentage of work accomplished.
But the sum total of the work done for recreation or education has to score more than 1/2 on the checklist. A qualifying kit + some off the shelf parts + some commercial assistance can leave you short of the required number of "amateur fabrication / assembly" tasks.

Back