A CFI goes back to school

Z06_Mir

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Radna
About three weeks ago I started my tailwheel training. I'm flying a Supercub (well, 3 Supercubs) out of KCHD with the same flight school that has done most of my other ratings. I started documenting this on a less active forum, but I figured there are more people like myself here that can learn and appreciate this journey. I'm going to copy and paste some of my posts from there and add more as I get them :)
For reference, I'm a CFI/CFII also with my commercial multi. Slightly less than 500 hours TT.

3/4/15
I've had 2 lessons in the Supercub so far. The first was a little overwhelming but the second, today, was amazingly fun. It's amazing for me to look back on this journey and think just three years ago I was practicing the same things, but in a Piper Warrior. And I needed to practice them a whole lot more!

We discovered upon entering slow flight that the flaps weren't working right. They wouldn't stay down for anything so we cut the lesson a bit short and just did two landings after airwork. One simulated emergency onto a dirt strip (wheel landing) and the other a 3 point back home. My 3 point wasn't bad! I'm sure I had a lot of help but things aren't so crazy and new anymore.

I also had an IPC today in the Skylane. It was a little weird coming from something with no vacuum system and 1 radio to my beautifully equipped Skylane. Felt like home though

Looking forward to this adventure.... I'd guess about 10-12 hours considering I'm doing it at a school known for its tailwheel and acro training and my feet aren't the fastest. But I know I'll learn more here than just about anywhere else which is why I chose this school for my private (and beyond) in the first place.

Wheel landings take some getting used to. :lol: Unlike a tricycle, with conventional gear you want to 'drive it on'. I find them easiest just trim for the landing speed then just use the throttle to get the wheels down to the runway with minimal pitch inputs. Once you get used to them though, they are what provide one of the big benefits to tailwheels, you have a much larger envelope of landing speeds.

3/10/15
I think there is hope for me. Maybe not a ton, but there is hope!

We did 9 or 10 landings yesterday, all 3 point. The first two or three I was noticeably helped quite a bit by the guy in the back seat (it is a little weird to have the instructor in the back) but then it started to come together a bit. I was able to figure out about the right time to ease the stick back and have the airplane end up on the ground in a not-overly-abrupt fashion at the same time I had the stick all the way back. Obviously I wasn't perfect and there were some moments I felt a bit sorry for the Supercub. The touchdown to groundroll transition seems to be getting easier too. The only thing I really didn't like about yesterday was I was not on the centerline for several of the landings. The winds were really light, less than 5 knots I'm sure but they were just enough of a direct crosswind/quartering tailwind that I got blown a bit to the right. My CFI said that yes that happened but considering this is the first landings lesson to have that be my problem is not bad, and that I was doing really well. So there's that!

3/24
As I was turning crosswind today after my 3rd or 4th landing I said to my instructor "You know, I feel just like I did just three years ago as I was getting ready to solo. Frustrated that I can't be consist or perfect." I think he chuckled a little. March 14th was the 3rd anniversary of my 1st solo.

I did 12 landings today in 1 hour, or 1 landing every 5 minutes. Pattern was just myself and another Supercub most of the time on our runway (helicopters use a different pattern, and there's a parallel runway). First 3 landings were three-points... then 8 wheel landings and 1 last three-point. I think I can three-point now pretty consistently without help or a huge risk of needed assistance to get off the runway area.. Wheel landings though... SO counterintuitive. Touch the wheels then push forward! Um WHAT? Then you get the mains on the ground and you're essentially still flying so you need the tail on the ground. That's great except I've somehow managed to get on both edges of the runway while attempting to do this. By the 5th or 6th landing it was getting exponentially easier thankfully. I am thankful to have a patient instructor who somehow thinks I'm doing a good job (Can he not see the centerline?!?!??!?!?!).

Maybe I am too critical of myself. Then again, I always have been. The more I learn in aviation the more I want to excel rather than become complacent. I don't want to settle for sub-par.

6 hours in the Supercub up to this point.

Then you get the mains on the ground and you're essentially still flying so you need the tail on the ground. That's great except I've somehow managed to get on both edges of the runway while attempting to do this.

I think one key is to see the tail should have just two modes:

1) All the way up. That way the rudder keeps you from your runway edge excursions. Or...

2) All the way down, with the stick held back. That way the tailwheel keeps you from your runway edge excursions.

Inbetween, there be dragons. In that nether region the rudder is blanked by the fuselage, so ineffective, but no tailwheel steering yet. Runway edge, here we come!

So try to spend as little time as possible in that zone, holding the tail up as long as possible, bringing it down smartly when it's done flying. If a major swerve develops, use a blast of power and bring the tail back up to get straight, then try again.

As background, around 1,500 tailwheel hours, about half of it instructing. Lots of excitement, but never a ground loop. Yet!

Back