A case of the blues

IO360A1B6...whoop, whoop, whoop!

Disregard...overhaul was in 1996...SB569A affects IO 360 A1B6 and other 360 variants overhauled on or after 3/1/97.

Len

Last edited:
From a not too distant review in Plane and Pilot

4 Beech Sierra Model: Beech Sierra Horsepower: 200 Max Cruise (kts.): 145 Useful Load (lbs.): 1054 Range (nm): 647 Current Used Price: 1973 Beech Sierra B24R, $49,000 The Sierra is definitely the forgotten Beechcraft, the top of the easily forgettable Musketeer line. Smallest of all the Beech retractables, the Sierra was always regarded as something of an oddball by the flying public. In truth, the Beech Mouse trainers were better than their reputation, with more agile handling than the Cherokees or Skyhawks and slightly more comfortable cabins. The Sierra’s role was less well-defined.

The airplane also was the slowest of the 200-hp retractables, capable of only about 130 knots, 15 knots behind the Mooney Executive, 10 slower than the Cessna Cardinal RG and less enthusiastic than even the Piper Arrow 200 or Commander 112. Sierras were two-door airplanes, some were even three-doors, with an optional aft entry. The cabin was 44 inches across up front, seating was 4+2 if you didn’t carry any fuel. Capacity with normal seating was 52 gallons.

Handling qualities were unanimously regarded as better than anything else in the class and the wheels folded outboard, Me-109-style, reinforcing at least the image of a quick-handling machine. Despite its shortcomings, its 200 hp and retractable gear allow it qualify as a “complex” airplane, and you’ll still find Beech quality.

Why It’s Undervalued: The Sierra’s combination of ingredients make it the least expensive airplane in its class today and one of the best built. Sierras produced from 1970 through 1979 are available for $60,000 or less. That makes the Sierra notably less expensive than even the Piper Arrow 200 or Mooney Executive.

That big third door is nice too. My wife is never happy with the little doors on the baggage compartments of the planes we fly. A couple times we've wanted to cart back things that, while not heavy, were hard to fit through the little doors or had to be passed through the front doors to the back. Not a fast plane, but I could certainly see it meeting my families needs quite nicely. If anyone hates going slow, let me know, I'll be glad to take it off your hands, and won't even charge you for it :D

You thinking of taking the plunge and buying it Joe?

Okay, is there anyone else out there that really digs that airplane? I mean, how many variations of the "White-plane-with-red-swoosh" can there be out there?

It's different and I like that. I always had a vision in my head of an Allis-Chalmers Orange plane with cream colored striping....I guess that I spent too much time on the farm as a kid....oh well.

That Beech is very "1970's Ford tractor". Am I just crazy to like planes that are painted like tractors?

--Matt

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
You thinking of taking the plunge and buying it Joe?

No. I think buying is still probably 5 years away, unless I get one heck of a pay raise :( But I can still look!

The rogue said:
Am I just crazy to like planes that are painted like tractors?

--Matt
Dunno about planes painted like tractors, but I still love the tractor colors and paint schemes. Saw a Dodge Ram at a truck show painted up in John Deere green, but can't find any pics on the web for it. I did find these, however, for all those other John Deere lovers...

http://www.fourwheeler.com/readersrigs/129_0404_rigs/

http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item_list.asp?osql=instr(ldesc,'john_deere')%3E0

"She thinks my tractor's sexy"

At my home base, we have a Midnight Blue Saratoga with dark grey numbers that really is a stealth plane.

I'm amazed how cheap that Beech is. If it really does get 130 knots and not 145, my fixed gear is faster so that might 'splain some but still... I don't wanna know what else is out there.

Greg, I saw the John Deere truck, I love it! I was thinking that maybe I need to find a cessna 150 that is in need of a paint job and...well...you know!

--Matt

Back