Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
AKA a Toad, I need suggestions for a CHEAP vehicle to tow behind the M/H

4 up, or 4 down, maybe 2 up.

any preference? Why?

2001 Honda Civic. Weighs Little. Still very low requirement for service. If you can get a stick, even better. 35 mpg. Comfortable.

Saturn. Cheaper than the Honda and similarly reliable.

As a fulltimer I've watched people with toads, including myself, for the last 3 years.

My recommendation: If at all possible, get something that can be towed 4 down.

4 up = full trailer = much bigger camp site required since it's a motorhome plus trailer plus toad. There's quite a few campgrounds where that it simply isn't going to happen. Unless it's a pull through or large campsite, it'll be annoying at best. You'll always have to walk around the big trailer while at camp. Loading and unloading is annoying, requires more space to load/unload and time consuming. If you drive yourself into a dead end or similar situation and have to turn around to get out, sell tickets for the show.

2 up = dolly trailer = almost as time consuming as 4 up however less hassle. It's an unwieldy trailer that doesn't like going backward especially if there is no toad on it. Ground clearance for the back of the toad is an issue pulling in and out of parking lots and similar environments. I've seen lots of scraped exhaust pipes and rear ends. The vehicle needs high enough front end clearance to go up the ramps without tearing up the plastic fairings, wheel wells, driving lights, etc. The unhitched dolly is fairly easy to move by hand and a lot of people simply push the hitch up under the rear of their motorhome to get it out of the way...except for the poor guy who walked into the wheel cover in the dark last year and ended up in a heap on the ground.

4 down = no hassles and far less physical effort than 2 or 4 up. Just park the motorhome, unplug, unhitch and drive away. Attaching is just as easy. It's about the same amount of time and effort as hooking up a utility trailer..only it's easier to hook up since most of the tow bars nowadays have slider arms. IOW, just drive the toad up somewhere close to the right spot and the hitch will adjust as needed to hitch up then roll the motorhome forward and back to engage the bar pins and off you go.

In general you'll need an electric brake or break away brake in most states for any trailer or toad GVWR over 3000lbs.

It kinda depends on how you are going to use it once you have reached your destination. Working in the state park system for 5 years I saw pretty much everything. The two most common where the Chevy Colorado and Jeep Wrangler. I did see several Saturns and Toyota's. The one that I will never forget is the guy who showed up pulling a 24' enclosed trailer, inside was a Dodge Viper and two full dressed Harley's.

I would vote for a Jeep Wrangler. Depending on where you are going, you can put the soft top down and cruise in style, or lock in the 4WD and explore forest service trails.

Suzuki Grand Vitara can be towed 4 down and is quite popular with the MH crowd. In addition, fuel economy is good and they can be had for a song.

As a fulltimer I've watched people with toads, including myself, for the last 3 years.

My recommendation: If at all possible, get something that can be towed 4 down.

4 up = full trailer = much bigger camp site required since it's a motorhome plus trailer plus toad. There's quite a few campgrounds where that it simply isn't going to happen. Unless it's a pull through or large campsite, it'll be annoying at best. You'll always have to walk around the big trailer while at camp. Loading and unloading is annoying, requires more space to load/unload and time consuming. If you drive yourself into a dead end or similar situation and have to turn around to get out, sell tickets for the show.

I have been backing big rigs all my life, as in fuel trucks, hay wagons.... backing is no concern, the 4 up style trailer gives me the option of carrying any car I choose towable or not, bringing home any junker aircraft I find. Plus the trailer has its own brakes lights and break away safety.

2 up = dolly trailer = almost as time consuming as 4 up however less hassle.
And the least desirable in my thinking, because that is all it can be used for.

4 down = no hassles and far less physical effort than 2 or 4 up. Just park the motorhome, unplug, unhitch and drive away. Attaching is just as easy. It's about the same amount of time and effort as hooking up a utility trailer..only it's easier to hook up since most of the tow bars nowadays have slider arms. IOW, just drive the toad up somewhere close to the right spot and the hitch will adjust as needed to hitch up then roll the motorhome forward and back to engage the bar pins and off you go.

In general you'll need an electric brake or break away brake in most states for any trailer or toad GVWR over 3000lbs.

4 down, the hardest to back. without damage to the steering of the toad. and you can't carry anything you can't get into the toad.

I'm leaning to the 14' dual axle flat bed trailer with a CJ, or a Jeepster up.

We won't be doing much camp ground stuff, mostly remote, or pull thru on trips. even if I must unhook the trailer it can be done in about 5 minutes.

and backing into the hitch ball is a piece o cake with a camera on the hitch.

Remember gotta be cheap, we be broke buying this

Attachments

• DSCN0471.jpg
    DSCN0471.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 33
Client of mine pulls a Cadillac Escalade. Really.

Nice ride, Tom :yes:

I have been looking for well over a year for the right one, this has spent most of its life in dry storage, 2000 with 8200 miles cat 350 Alison 6 speed, new tires, like new in and out, with all the electronic toys (nav etc)

at 50% of market asking prices averaged

nearest I could price compare was a year older and 86k miles at 140K

I stumbled upon it in Bellingham Wa. in a park and sell lot, old folks want out of the storage bills.

should close this week.

Then we will likely spend more time here, http://www.goodsamclub.com/ than here. gotta learn the care and feeding of the 350 cat.

Attachments

• DSCN0445.jpg
    DSCN0445.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0446.jpg
    DSCN0446.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0451.jpg
    DSCN0451.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0456.jpg
    DSCN0456.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 40
One might be thinking the Fairchild found a new owner. ???????????
Beauty of a MH, Tom.

HR

I would vote for a Jeep Wrangler.

Chris, that's your solution for everything. ;)

Not a bad solution, though. I tend to be a fan of towing cars on actual 4-up car hauler trailers. They're easy to back up, don't put all the extra wear and tear on the vehicle, and are cheap to maintain. Lots of advantages.

Tom, that is a great looking motorhome. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

The Yugo was one of the few vehicles that made the entire world stand up and declare as one:

"I want to buy something else."

Tom:

Nice ride- sounds like you found an exceptional deal, karmic payback for being scammed earlier.

If, as you have implied before, your wanderings bring you down texas-way, be sure to warn us in advance!

I have been looking for well over a year for the right one, this has spent most of its life in dry storage, 2000 with 8200 miles cat 350 Alison 6 speed, new tires, like new in and out, with all the electronic toys (nav etc)

at 50% of market asking prices averaged

Yep, now is the best time to buy a motorhome you will EVER find. Here is the Class C we just picked up for a song: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_rv_rental.htm

:smile:

Just curious: What kind of mileage do you get towing a toad? This Dutchmen averages only 8.2 mpg WITHOUT a toad, so it's got to be absolutely horrendous WITH a toad!

Jay, on those big gas engines (yours has the 460, right?) you get pretty similar mileage no matter what you do once you get into having to push that large of a hole in the air. I wouldn't expect to see more than a 1 mpg drop out where you are on highway travel.

NICE!!

What to tow.....well, first you have to get a matching box trailer. Doesn't matter what you put IN it.... hehehehe

Co-worker has a MH, but not nearly as nice as yours. She tows her Geo Tracker behind it. Mainly because the Geo came with the MH when she bought it.

well, first you have to get a matching box trailer. Doesn't matter what you put IN it.... hehehehe

In some circles it does matter what goes inside.
There's a huge maroon $$$$$$$ class A that I've seen a few times. It has a matching $$$$$$$ trailer. The $$$$$$$ luxuary SUV inside is the same color down to the striping.
Even the mat they put outside the entry door and the camp chairs are the same color.

Kinda makes you want to throw up.

There is a monthly repo-ed Toy auction in Springfield, Mo, most of the Motor Homes are going for 1/4 to a 1/3 of their purchased price. Last month there was a 2 year old $250,000.00 MH sold for $47,500.00, it only had 15K miles on it. Boats are going just as cheap.

I drag my Jeep Wrangler 4 down behind my RV. Easiest, cheapest towbar setup I've found, easy to hook and unhook, but yeah, standard caveat about backing. Either someone holds the wheel in the Jeep or you unhook and rehook.

Chris, that's your solution for everything. ;)

Yeah.. I'm a little biased towards Jeep. ;)

CJ_Avatar.JPG

That looks like fun, but wouldn't it be easier to just hike that trail??? :D

Actually, no.

This one shows a little about how steep the incline was. After getting through the 'tough' spot, it became a steady 60-70 degree incline which took momentum to get to the top. ;)

IMG_0906.JPG

NICE!!

What to tow.....well, first you have to get a matching box trailer. Doesn't matter what you put IN it.... hehehehe

That's not a bad idea, we then could use Barb's Pacifica as the toad.

Jay, on those big gas engines (yours has the 460, right?) you get pretty similar mileage no matter what you do once you get into having to push that large of a hole in the air. I wouldn't expect to see more than a 1 mpg drop out where you are on highway travel.

One piece of good news WRT to mileage -- my shop today discovered that mice had chewed through a vacuum line that controls fuel pressure. The vacuum leak was causing the engine to run essentially full-rich all the time. This was certainly not helping fuel economy!

Maybe now we'll see, oh, say, NINE miles per gallon now? :D

The shop found several old mouse nests in the engine compartment and under the driver's side floor panels. Damned critters had chewed through the insulation on several wires, the aforementioned vacuum hose, and had shat all over the AM/FM cassette, frying the amp. Gave me a good excuse to put in a new JVC unit with CD and MP3 inputs...

That's not a bad idea, we then could use Barb's Pacifica as the toad.

We were at the Cabelas in Owatonna, MN about five weeks ago and happened to see some cargo trailers parked next door. Went to look at them and noticed the dealer was on the other side of the freeway. Turns out these things are fish houses. However, they can be customized what ever way you want to do almost anything. We are seriously considering getting one to tow behind the Dodge. Room for a couple of bikes, a bed, stove, fridge and toilet. No need for the fishing 'holes' though......

What I really liked was the way they can be lowered to the ground. Easy for me to load up the bikes. And they're made in South Dakota.

http://www.lodgefishhouses.com/?gclid=CLm7_Zidgp4CFQ0aawodrVowpw

I think you need one like this....a matched set: hehehe
http://www.ice-shack.com/photos/exterior/motohome_lodge3.jpg

Last edited:
The Yugo was one of the few vehicles that made the entire world stand up and declare as one:

"I want to buy something else."

I thought they were ok for what they were. They did fine for a $4000 new car. What I thought was embarrassing for US corporations was that Yugo sponsored the US Womens Olympic Volleyball team.

Well Tom, it sounds like you already decided you want to tow a float, so then it doesn't really matter what vehicle you put behind it, so the question becomes (as with an airplane decision) "what is the vehicles mission?" What do you want it to do for you and where do you want it to take you? You're talking about remote area camping, so do you want it to take you further remote than you can get the motorhome, or do you want it to take you back to town to go shopping? How much do you want to spend on it? Do you want a beater, or something nice? Something with some class and a pedigree? Nice rig BTW. Is that a 3176 Cat in there?

One piece of good news WRT to mileage -- my shop today discovered that mice had chewed through a vacuum line that controls fuel pressure. The vacuum leak was causing the engine to run essentially full-rich all the time. This was certainly not helping fuel economy!

Maybe now we'll see, oh, say, NINE miles per gallon now? :D

You might see something on that order, but I wouldn't expect you to see much better than that. In that application the engine's running pretty hard most of the time, so that disconnected vacuum hose (I'm guessing it went to the MAP sensor?) probably didn't make much of a difference.

Still, always good to get stuff like that taken care of!

We were at the Cabelas in Owatonna, MN about five weeks ago and happened to see some cargo trailers parked next door. Went to look at them and noticed the dealer was on the other side of the freeway. Turns out these things are fish houses. However, they can be customized what ever way you want to do almost anything. We are seriously considering getting one to tow behind the Dodge. Room for a couple of bikes, a bed, stove, fridge and toilet. No need for the fishing 'holes' though......

What I really liked was the way they can be lowered to the ground. Easy for me to load up the bikes. And they're made in South Dakota.

http://www.lodgefishhouses.com/?gclid=CLm7_Zidgp4CFQ0aawodrVowpw

I think you need one like this....a matched set: hehehe
http://www.ice-shack.com/photos/exterior/motohome_lodge3.jpg

Holy crap those are some serious ice fishing shanties! Around here they are usually just wooden shacks with skis on them.

2263372135_4d1fa3374c.jpg

Didn't see a sturgeon model with a big hole on that site though.

You might see something on that order, but I wouldn't expect you to see much better than that. In that application the engine's running pretty hard most of the time, so that disconnected vacuum hose (I'm guessing it went to the MAP sensor?) probably didn't make much of a difference.

Still, always good to get stuff like that taken care of!

Yeah, since we're putting the unit on the rental line, I wanted to make sure it was 100% good to go -- so I did something I NEVER do: I gave my shop a free hand to "find/fix/replace" whatever they found wrong. I've trusted 'em for years, and they don't rip people off.

They found all sorts of interesting/dumb things, from broken exhaust system hangars to missing running board brackets, to the aforementioned mouse damage. They have fixed everything, so now -- with only 32K miles -- our RV is ready to tackle the longest journey...

Today we're off to look at a machine shed that we're going to rent for winter RV storage. It's 56' long by 32' wide, with doors at both ends big enough to drive a combine through. Rent? $58.33/month. I love Iowa!

Better yet, I've got two sub-letters lined up who will each pay $25/month to store their stuff. Thus, my total cost for winter RV storage will be $8.33/month.

Did I tell you I love Iowa? :D :yesnod:

Holy crap those are some serious ice fishing shanties! Around here they are usually just wooden shacks with skis on them.

Didn't see a sturgeon model with a big hole on that site though.

I'm betting if you ask the mfg'er to put in a bigger 'hole' they can do it. We were chatting with the sales dude that afternoon, looking at pics of different set ups, and he mentioned that one guy had bought the biggest model they had and sunk $70,000.00 into 'outfitting' it. :yikes:

Big screen TV, generator, surround sound, etc. His winter 'home away from home'.

I'm betting if you ask the mfg'er to put in a bigger 'hole' they can do it. We were chatting with the sales dude that afternoon, looking at pics of different set ups, and he mentioned that one guy had bought the biggest model they had and sunk $70,000.00 into 'outfitting' it. :yikes:

Big screen TV, generator, surround sound, etc. His winter 'home away from home'.

70,000 to set and fish........ where's the logic?

The best Halibut is $20 per pound.

I can do 10 fishing trips to AK for less than the 70k.

70,000 to set and fish........ where's the logic?

The best Halibut is $20 per pound.

I can do 10 fishing trips to AK for less than the 70k.

~sigh~

There is no logic to it. Its just something he wants to do and can afford to do. Much like them pilots that spent countless $$ buying aircraft and fixing them up and using them to fly to destinations unknown, when we know that its just cheaper to buy a seat on any commercial flight out there or driving the family car......... :D

Back