A bumpy flight....

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
Yesterday I went on a cross country from Brookhaven NY to Windham CT for fun and man was it a turbulent flight--like moderate chop all the way, updrafts carrying me 200 feet off altitude in no time and winds changing 40 degrees in no time. Needless to say, it was quite a lot of work and, even though it was not smooth I still got a lot out of the flight.

The craziest part of the flight was the takeoff out of Windham. I rotated and climbed but at about 700 ft I hit a huge bump, easily the most violent turbulence I've ever felt, that sent me airborn out of my seat and the iPad mini that was resting on my lap, tumbeling to the floor. Instinctually, I reached down to try and grab it and even momentarily let my eyes look down. Now this would hardly be considered an energency but, when anything goes wrong at 700ft it's not good. I quickly heard that voice inside my head remind me of something that was obviously drilled into me during training because that voice in my head was saying " fly the plane!" I got myself back to eyes out of the cockpit, continued the insanely turbulent climb, reached level altitude and then searched for the iPad mini which I found. I continued the rest of the way back bouncing along until I reached the Long Island sound and actually made a nice x-wind landing back home.

I share this story because, I've been fortunate while flying and have really not had much go wrong. This was the first time where, aside from basic airmanship like speeds and bank angles etc... where I had training looking out for me because it kicked in at a crucial time and I actually heard that voice inside my head telling me the right advice. It would have been easy to get fixated on trying to recover the iPad mini, as it was my primary source of navigation to get back home( aside from obviously looking out the window!) I'm reassured that I still do have that voice inside my head telling me these things I learned in training!

Last edited:
Thanks for the PIREP!

I know a lot of pilots seem happy to have their iPads in their laps, or sitting in the passenger seat, or whatever. Or a Stratus or equivalent just sitting on the glare shield. I have been guilty of it on occasion.

But fly long enough, and you WILL encounter turbulence and "air pockets" that can send things flying, sometimes with zero advance warning. Those flying objects can injure, move or jam controls, knock off glasses, or, as you saw, just be a huge distraction.

Consider either Velcro or some sort of mount or at the very least a "tether" to reel wayward devices back in*.

But good job - this is how we learn!

*I used to ferry cropdusters that had no real floors - just platforms for your feet.

6841905789_941d21acd3_z.jpg

Drop an E6B or a calculator or a pen and it would likely stay out of reach in the belly of the plane until the next fuel stop. Especially not good because there were cable runs and pulleys and stuff down there as well. Anyway, I started to use stainless steel fishing leaders to keep everything tethered to my kneeboard. They're still a cheap and easy solution.

Last edited:
but did you spill your beer? :goofy: :hairraise: JK.

prepare to get shellacked for the 'ipad was my primary source of navigation' comment from some folks. but yeah, no brainer, issue on climbout, fly the plane is A#1.

prepare to get shellacked for the 'ipad was my primary source of navigation' comment from some folks. but yeah, no brainer, issue on climbout, fly the plane is A#1.

I never spill my beer while flying. I have one of those gimbal cup holders like they use on boats. Works well.

:). That's why I added in the, besides looking out the window-- I know how people are about the whole not using the earth for navigation. Truth is, I did think about what would happen if I could not find the iPad mini or if it slid back to where I could not reach it. I always carry a chart with me( it's expired the new ones are on the iPad.) I would have just used that and done some good old dead reckoning! .....or maybe I would have declared an emergency and made an off airport landing. I kid, I kid :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the PIREP!

I know a lot of pilots seem happy to have their iPads in their laps, or sitting in the passenger seat, or whatever. Or a Stratus or equivalent just sitting on the glare shield. I have been guilty of it on occasion.

But fly long enough, and you WILL encounter turbulence and "air pockets" that can send things flying, sometimes with zero advance warning. Those flying objects can injure, move or jam controls, knock off glasses, or, as you saw, just be a huge distraction.

That how I fly with my ipad, yeah it's gone airborne once, it's a non event, doesn't weight anything, it's in a soft canvas case, just fly the plane and a ipad isn't required for that, or shouldn't be, when you're situated grab the ipad, no biggie.

James' response is typical and typically dismissive.

A point is made about something which is a "best practice", and its countered with "I've always/never done that and its never been a problem".

I hold its best to look at the mistakes of others and learn from them, so as not to have to make them all oneself.

Not so long ago there was a fatal crash caused by jammed controls. Cause? An XMRadio "hockey puck" antenna that had come adrift at some point and got wedged into the worst possible place. It may have been from a prior flight, but still shows what unsecured items in the cockpit can lead to.

Some like James could care less, since it has never affected them. Yet. For the rest of us, again, maybe learn from other's experiences and act accordingly.

Or not.

Like he said - "no biggie"! ;)

OMG! You depend on your IPAD so badly you would reach for it just after takeoff at 700 feet!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: UNBELIEVABLE!! These kids and their gadgets! :mad2: :lol: ;)

I think we get used to light turbulence and it takes more to shock us after a while, because I swear it felt like I flew all the time and rarely encountered turbulence. That is until just about every time I bring a passenger along and they ask every time there is a little bump.

I have had 3 times so far where turbulence has scared me.

1. In the mountains out west at 12K feet, within a couple miles downwind from 14K' peaks and winds aloft 60 knots. The result was almost no control. Immediately pulled power and did not regain control until losing approx 4000' of altitude.

2. Had wind shear on final at an airport in NY that changed from a 20 knot headwind to a 10 knot tailwind. The airplane stalled and the right wing dipped, luckily I had enough power and altitude to regain control.

3. On an instrument approach in WV. Winds were picking up west of me. Reports were coming in of Mod/Sev turbulence. I figured it was time to land. I was about 1 mile final when the sheer hit the plane. It was unlike any turbulence I had ever enountered. It sounded like someone slammed into the airplane with a car. Huge loud "WAP!!" sound and just like your story, Ipad and other crap went flying and luckily I was belted in good or I would have as well.

.....I have had 3 times so far where turbulence has scared me.

1. ....The result was almost no control. Immediately pulled power and did not regain control until losing approx 4000' of altitude.

2. ....The airplane stalled and the right wing dipped, luckily I had enough power and altitude to regain control.

3. ....Huge loud "WAP!!" sound and just like your story, Ipad and other crap went flying and luckily I was belted in good or I would have as well.

but, did you spill your beer?!?!?!? :yikes:

I flew from KSIP (Islip,NY) to KHFD (Brainard, CT) yesterday at 9:30am. 3500 to KHFD, 4500 back to KISP and experienced no turbulence. Great flight, beautiful weather. Briefer did say increased turbulence in the afternoon. Ipad firmly attached to my knee.

You must have flown in the afternoon?

Ipad, kneebaord, headset, chart, sun glasses, headset, beer...dosen't matter what went flying. Some of you are so friggin hung up on anti technology you completely you completely miss the point and lesson of the OP's post. Fly the plane.

I take that back...save the beer.

I flew from KSIP (Islip,NY) to KHFD (Brainard, CT) yesterday at 9:30am. 3500 to KHFD, 4500 back to KISP and experienced no turbulence. Great flight, beautiful weather. Briefer did say increased turbulence in the afternoon. Ipad firmly attached to my knee.

You must have flown in the afternoon?

I did. I took off around 230 and landed back into HWV around 430. I try for early morning flights for this reason to avoid turbulence if I can but I figured I'd switch it up a bit on this flight! Serves me right.

I've considered buying a mount for my ipad mini but I can't seem to find a place where I can actually mount it comfortably. Honestly I usually keep the Ipad either in my passengers hands or on the passenger seat until cruise but this time I just had it on my lap.

Yes Shawn you are right, I honestly did not post to start a Ipad debate( we have plenty of those on this board already.) You got my point of the post, I wanted to share a lesson I had reinforced.

Last edited:
I thought the point of this post was to learn how to save your beer. I guess I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't spill your beer because you down it during your run up, then you crack one open on your downwind and chug it. Should stay hydrated nicely with that routine. Add a beer chug or 2 during cruise, but chug quickly.

You don't spill your beer because you down it during your run up, then you crack one open on your downwind and chug it. Should stay hydrated nicely with that routine. Add a beer chug or 2 during cruise, but chug quickly.

Got it. Thanks.

Good man. You can be my wingman any day.

4 Sure! I actually just ordered this from Sportys. It has the built in bose headset(w/bluetooth) and a cannula for easy oxygen access. I usually get a good 5-6 minute range per can before flipping from left to right can. It is also setup for quick release and speed loading a new can in takes only a minute or so. I usually just set the autopilot and climb in the back seat where the cooler is, otherwise I find myself trying to fly while I grab a new cold one. Safety First!!

172-06601P4.jpg

Yesterday and Friday weren't the best of days to go flying on LI. I went up and had a loss of 5 knots on final at BDR and FRG. A very bumpy day indeed.

4 Sure! I actually just ordered this from Sportys. It has the built in bose headset(w/bluetooth) and a cannula for easy oxygen access. I usually get a good 5-6 minute range per can before flipping from left to right can. It is also setup for quick release and speed loading a new can in takes only a minute or so. I usually just set the autopilot and climb in the back seat where the cooler is, otherwise I find myself trying to fly while I grab a new cold one. Safety First!!

172-06601P4.jpg

Does that setup have a "both" option or do you have to periodically switch cans for balance?

Also is there an extended range option?

....if only I knew what would come out of my initial post.... :)

The day before my checkride I actually had the worst condition landing of my life. I had to fly to an avionics shop to get my transponder swapped out. It looked like we could beat the wind so I took my CFI as a safety pilot. The flight was only 30 minutes each way, but if I had hauled a 12 pack of soda with me, it all would have been unusable.

Coming back in it had gotten worse. Winds were close to 20 knot range, with gusts close to the 30s.

My home airfield is a 3k foot runway surrounded by trees, you basically have to drop in from the trees and land. First approach attempt was a straight-in final only to see the maintenance guy driving his truck on the runway to check the lights.....without a radio. The go-around felt like wrestling a small army to keep it under control.

The next attempt was brutal, but I ended up landing it with no flaps due to the varying direction and gusting wind. Never in my life have I had to correct and move the controls so much. It was definitely a rush. My CFI was laughing the whole time because of my reaction, but he said given the conditions I nailed the landing.

No fun at all.

Glad that all ended well.

I'm not as concerned about the IPad being primary source of navigation and losing it, as I am about the threat of it jamming controls.

I use my IPad for navigation, but I always have a chart(s) at the ready, unfolded to the area I will be covering. Batteries can die, or anything can happen to electronics.

I keep the IPad in my lap, but have it tethered to keep it from getting out of reach. I can find a way to do without the IPad, but I might not be able to find a way to control the airplane if it gets jammed somewhere it shouldn't be.

Well, you already mentioned the the lesson learned here: fly the airplane. Great job.

DPEs at a checkride are required to introduce a realistic distraction to evaluate how the applicant fares, especially in critical stages of flight. My DPE dropped a pencil on my half of the floor shortly after takeoff and wanted to retrieve it. Not realizing it was a planned distraction, I am afraid I must have sounded pretty harsh when I told him in a stern voice "leave it, not now, later". Hey, I passed. :dunno: :)

Glad that all ended well.

I'm not as concerned about the IPad being primary source of navigation and losing it, as I am about the threat of it jamming controls.

I use my IPad for navigation, but I always have a chart(s) at the ready, unfolded to the area I will be covering. Batteries can die, or anything can happen to electronics.

I keep the IPad in my lap, but have it tethered to keep it from getting out of reach. I can find a way to do without the IPad, but I might not be able to find a way to control the airplane if it gets jammed somewhere it shouldn't be.

To be honest, I'm MUCH more worried about a bottle of water coming loose and jamming under a rudder pedal. Particularly in the late model 172s and 182s that have cup holders on the floor.

With an iPad, the issue is distraction, especially if something goes wrong with it, including dropping it in or just before a critical phase of flight. Please use a strap or a kneeboard or some other way to securely attach the tablet. Yeah, they are overpriced, but they are effective at preventing moderate turbulence from dislodging them.

Moderate turbulence is not common, but when it happens, it can throw stuff around pretty easily.

My DPE dropped a pencil on my half of the floor shortly after takeoff and wanted to retrieve it. Not realizing it was a planned distraction, I am afraid I must have sounded pretty harsh when I told him in a stern voice "leave it, not now, later". Hey, I passed. :dunno: :)

Maybe buy him one of these!

pencilpull1.jpg

Get used to the bumps. Weather happens. Just don't take someone on their first flight when it's bumpy, wait for a smooth morning.

Sorry about that. You can blame Eman1200! It's all his fault.

Oh no worrie! This is a fun thread with useful information. That's all u could hope for. Plus I'm sending the beer helmet to DC headsets... There is money to be made there!

I'm a simple man with good intentions...."save the beer" was my message. My work here is done.

Back