A BIG Thank You

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
Thanks to all of you who helped make this weekend enjoyable. Getting together with all of you is one of the things that keeps me flying.

Thanks to Diana for putting it all together. Things would never go as smooth without you in the left seat!:yes:

Thanks to Troy for putting together a flawless poker run!

Thanks to all who helped make Debbie feel welcome on her first trip to Gaston's.:yes:

Felix...great plane and a lot of fun flying with you today. Much appreciated.

And a heart felt thanks to Tom for taking the time to fly with me today and provide some of the best instruction I have ever had the pleasure of receiving. :cheerswine:

This weekend isn't even over yet and I'm looking forward to G-VI.

Dave, thanks for the ride in the Viking - what a great plane. And also for following us to Mountain Home to pick up Tom.

Last edited:
The official Gaston's "BIG Thank You" thread.

To all the behind the scenes folks (I'd name names except I'm bound to leave someone out, you know who you are), my sincere thanks again for a great weekend.

Also special thanks to Jesse, Greg, Dave, Chip, Kim, Bruce, and Felix for sharing their airplanes.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everybody who showed up, all those who tried and were unable, and all those who helped put it together, from setting the date, arranging the poker run, doing movie night, bringing food, giving rides, cleaning up, shuttling people, cooking on the grill, making movies, and generally participating! I'm sorry we didn't get to see more of a few people because of injuries (Nick, Mary).

One of the staff at the hotel, who received a ride last year, said that he thinks we are about the nicest group of people he's met there. I think that says something special about the group! :yes:

Special mention goes out to Dave Taylor for flying Felix to Tulsa to get a part for the Bonanza so he could compete in (and win) the poker run, not to mention get back to SF!

Oh, and I declare the bake-off (both cookies and cakes) a tie. We'll need a do-over next year! :yes:

I want to give a big thank you to Grant and Leslie for allowing me and Jim to ride along the poker run, it was a lot of of fun flying with you Grant!

Would also like to thank for the rides I got from Jesse, Peter and Felix (Felix... you're plane is sweeeeeet).

Thanks to everyone who made it happen, and I'm very glad to have met such new people!

Thanks to Diana for putting it all together. Things would never go as smooth without you in the left seat!:yes:
How sweet, thank you Kevin. :) And thank you for starting this thread. It adds such a positive note to an already incredible weekend.

And a heart felt thanks to Tom for taking the time to fly with me today and provide some of the best instruction I have ever had the pleasure of receiving. :cheerswine:
Kevin, Tom enjoyed flying with you, and you deserved that "11" I gave you on your landing yesterday at Gaston's for several reasons. :) We were out there clapping for you, although you probably couldn't hear it as you taxied by.

Oh, and I declare the bake-off (both cookies and cakes) a tie. We'll need a do-over next year! :yes:
Grant, you are such a diplomat. :yes: I have to say, I really like what Tristan did with her cookies...very nice touch. :yes:

Well, I want to thank you folks for welcoming Phil and me into your group (well, Kathleen See and Spike Cutler were very good welcomers). We felt comfortable from the minute we arrived - (mostly we were just so freaking happy to be on the ground after four hours of grinding it out against that headwind.....)

And thanks all you people who were brave enough to fly with me in those windy conditions....what a leap of faith....I enjoyed that....and, for those who didn't get a Birddog ride, there's always next year. We're looking forward to it! :yes:

Well, I want to thank you folks for welcoming Phil and me into your group (well, Kathleen See and Spike Cutler were very good welcomers). We felt comfortable from the minute we arrived - (mostly we were just so freaking happy to be on the ground after four hours of grinding it out against that headwind.....)
You are ALWAYS welcome! :yes: (And yes, they're BOTH great greeters!)
And thanks all you people who were brave enough to fly with me in those windy conditions....what a leap of faith....I enjoyed that....and, for those who didn't get a Birddog ride, there's always next year. We're looking forward to it! :yes:
Believe me, I'm looking forward to it!

It was great having you join us!

And I want to give a shout out to Steve for the flight in the IAR today! That is a great plane!

A BIG thanks to Kevin and Debbie for making Gastons a reality for me!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:
There are so many people to thank for such a wonderful weekend! Like Lance mentioned, it would be hard to name all of the people without leaving someone out.

I really appreciate the ride that Phil gave me in the Birddog. It was fun riding in and flying that incredible airplane. Phil, I’m sorry that I got us lost…it didn’t take us long to find our way though. ;)

Thank you to the “Welcome Committee” who gave Kim and Phil such a nice welcome as they arrived and for all of you who made the newcomers feel like we were glad that they joined us. :yes:

Thanks to Dave Taylor for all the wonderful things you did this weekend, including making that “Reserved” sign, giving so many rides, including bringing Tom back from Mountain Home, and helping Felix.

Thanks to those who cooked at the flight line and provided water…I still can’t figure out where the place was to drop money to help pay for that.

Thank you in advance to those who don’t post unflattering photos of us on the internet without prior approval.

A BIG thanks to Jesse for spending sooooo much time working on the great fly-in web site.

And thanks to all of you for the hugs. :yes:

Thank you in advance to those who don’t post unflattering photos of us on the internet without prior approval. :yes:

I would like to second that....I hope everyone is paying attention.....:hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:

it was great as usual. next year will be at least as great. thanks everybody!

Of course, first thanks to Diana and Tom. The event wouldn't happen without them. Too many others to name, but special thanks to Lance for giving my sisters-in-law a ride for the poker run and dealing with all that entailed! Chip, thanks for volunteering to give Julie a ride to KBPK, even though she didn't end up utilizing it.

Phil, Abby is still glowing about the Bird Dog ride. She's on cloud nine!

Dave T, she loved the ride this morning in your Bellanca... the reason she was quiet, she said, was she didn't "know you" that well. I reminded her of the time we gave you and Janet a ride to the convention from NW Regional, and she reminded me that it was a "LONG TIME AGO, DAD!" Nevertheless, she had a blast, and I thank you both for giving her rides. And, Dave, thank you very much for the flight and compliments, as well. It's always a pleasure to share the view with you, my friend.

Jason, thanks for giving Daniel (the 17-year-old who was sitting halfway down the field watching airplanes) a ride on short impromptu notice, with me halfway bending your arm. :) And Felix, too, for volunteering to do so after already having flown for a long time Sunday morning. Jason was YOUR hero that time, Felix!

Wil, thanks for the many many hours you and your crew spent filming our event in HD, and for giving Abby and others the opportunity to assist. I, for one, can't wait to see the results!! :yes:

Kathleen, Kevin, Ross, and Brent: thanks for your help with the poker run! It wouldn't have been as fun or ran as smoothly without your help!

Greg, thank you for spending so much time telling me about your 190. I learned a lot!!

Thank you in advance to those who don’t post unflattering photos of us on the internet without prior approval.

I would like to second that....I hope everyone is paying attention.....:hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:
We are! Luckily, with the beautiful ladies we have at the flyin there are no unflattering photographs, only flattering ones. Therefore, no prior approval required!:cheerswine::D

I want to add my own thank you to Kim, for the awesome ride in the Bird Dog! All I can say is WOW, I'm hooked. Now to find one of those for sale on on the west coast ;)

Pete, thank you for the poker run adventure. I enjoyed every last minute of it, right down to the "interesting" return to Gaston's ;)

I have a very special thank you for Diana, for taking me up for a spin . . . or three ;) Being upside down in an airplane never felt so natural - and yes, I'm still grinning!! (I can't wait to see the shot of me and the G Meter) I also enjoyed our chat on he grass under your wing - we MUST do that again sometime.

And finally, to everyone at Gaston's that welcomed Will and I - you made us feel like family. After this weekend, I feel like I've known some of you forever!!

Thank you all - I'm looking forward to next year!!!

Robert

Lots of small kindnesses made for a great weekend for me.

Two not so small that stand out for me are are the calm smooth ride in the Citabria with Tom and the most excellent engine-out exercise with Dr. Bruce. I really wanted more time doing both.

Where do I start?!? A huge thanks to Gil Velez for letting me fly with him in his 172 out to Arkansas...it was the longest trip I've ever flown in an airplane (ever) and had a blast. I learned a lot and the pilotage the way out and back was great practice.

Many thanks to Diana and her crew for all of the logistics and arrangements to make the fly-in possible...it's really an amazing group of people that meet up together and will forever wish for more time to spend with my online pilot buddies at Gaston's.

Troy, Kathleen, Kevin, Ross, and Brent, that poker run was a ton of flippin' fun! Great concept and perfect execution. Greatly appreciate Kent's generous offer to take the other Jason and I up for the 'run. Unfortunately, the broke high school students didn't win....the newbie poker player and Bonanza driver did. Nice job Felix.

Speaking of the poker run, would anyone care to offer a good idea as to why Point Lookout (KPLK) has three hold short lines before you even reach the runway, all about 500 feet apart? Are you supposed to call "holding short of the holding short of the hold short line."?!? Us urban-area pilots know what we're doing, perhaps it's a regional thing? :D

Big shout-out to Dave T., Dave S., Jason, Spike, and Steve for the generous rides in your beautiful airplanes. That P-Baron is one slick ride, Dave, and the IAR is one hell of a fun airplane to fly.

...and to the rest who pulled up a chair and chatted sometime during the weekend with me. I learned something new from every conversation I had and really enjoyed hearing about everyone's experiences and knowledge as PoA aviators. Really looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures, videos, and of course, the exclusive Will Hawkins Gaston's documentary.

Back to school/work tomorrow....damn. Really missing the fun already. To those new folks I met, keep in touch!

I would like to thank everybody that helped out with the filming. For those of you that talked with us on camera thank you so much. I was reviewing some of the footage last night and it looks great.

For those that gave Robert and I rides we can't thank you enough. It looks like we might be able to use some of the air to ground footage from my ride with Chip. That was one hell of a ride Chip thanks. Gill and Greg thanks again for the air to air attempt.

There were some of you that wanted to interview but we just ran out of time. I hope you understand. Thank you for willing to be in the film I wished we had more time or cameras to get you all on tape.

It looks like we got some great stuff and we have enough to make a nice little film. I can't wait to get home to start the editing process.

I would also like to thank everybody for welcoming Robert and I into the nest. We had such an amazing time. We felt welcomed from the moment we got there. We got to see old friends and meet a bunch of new friends. It was a perfect weekend. One I know I will never forget. I don't think I will be able to miss Gaston's ever again. Thank you.

-Will

We are! Luckily, with the beautiful ladies we have at the flyin there are no unflattering photographs, only flattering ones. Therefore, no prior approval required!:cheerswine::D

Grant.....you are such a suck up!!!! ;):D

Hah!!! Watch for the flurry of PM's if you guys screw up! :yes:

They have NO idea.....:no: Actually I took "fancier" clothes to wear, but ended up in my running clothes most of the weekend. It was just too damn hot not to go the unvarnished truth route.
WYSIWYG.....so much more fun that way.

I have a very special thank you for Diana, for taking me up for a spin . . . or three ;) Being upside down in an airplane never felt so natural - and yes, I'm still grinning!! (I can't wait to see the shot of me and the G Meter) I also enjoyed our chat on he grass under your wing - we MUST do that again sometime.
I enjoyed flying with you Robert. :yes: And visiting in the grass. :yes: I'm sorry we couldn't get more altitude to do spins. It wasn't the best weather for aerobatic flying with the low clouds and then broken ceilings and then the turbulence. Hopefully we can do more next year.

I like your new avatar. :D

And finally, to everyone at Gaston's that welcomed Will and I - you made us feel like family. After this weekend, I feel like I've known some of you forever!!

Thank you all - I'm looking forward to next year!!!
You guys both really added to our fly-in and I hope you will come back next year. :yes: You ARE like one of the family now. :yes:

How did the video turn out with the aerobatics and the dam approach?

I don't want to forget...thank you Will for the wine! It has a nice story to go with it...I'm saving it for a special occasion. :)

I obviosly couldn't make it this year but even so want to thank Spike for being my mouthpiece and offering a tribute to Bob Bruneau. I know he was looking down on you all with gratitude and approval.

I obviosly couldn't make it this year but even so want to thank Spike for being my mouthpiece and offering a tribute to Bob Bruneau. I know he was looking down on you all with gratitude and approval.

It was very touching, Adam. And Spike did a great job of conveying your message.

I enjoyed flying with you Robert. :yes: And visiting in the grass. :yes: I'm sorry we couldn't get more altitude to do spins. It wasn't the best weather for aerobatic flying with the low clouds and then broken ceilings and then the turbulence. Hopefully we can do more next year.

It was a wonderful first acrobatic flight, and by far, the smoothest flight over the lake that I experienced all weekend. Either you have the magic touch, or a magic airplane :)

You guys both really added to our fly-in and I hope you will come back next year. :yes: You ARE like one of the family now. :yes:

I won't speak for Will (or maybe I will) . . . but we talked about the fly-in from the time we left Gaston's, until we landed back in San Jose, CA. I know I would love to come back next year!!

How did the video turn out with the aerobatics and the dam approach?

Don't know what it looks like in total, but the few seconds I did watch on the camera seemed to have some technical issues. Won't know more until Will starts reviewing footage.

Robert

Troy, Kathleen, Kevin, Ross, and Brent, that poker run was a ton of flippin' fun! Great concept and perfect execution. Greatly appreciate Kent's generous offer to take the other Jason and I up for the 'run.

You're welcome! Too bad the Flippin FBO at the Flippin airport was closed so we couldn't get our Flippin card! :rofl:

Speaking of the poker run, would anyone care to offer a good idea as to why Point Lookout (KPLK) has three hold short lines before you even reach the runway, all about 500 feet apart? Are you supposed to call "holding short of the holding short of the hold short line."?!? Us urban-area pilots know what we're doing, perhaps it's a regional thing? :D

Looked to me like the one taxiway had been built a LONG time ago and still had the original hold-short lines, which would barely keep you clear of a 152 even if it landed on centerline!

Big shout-out to Dave T., Dave S., Jason, Spike, and Steve for the generous rides in your beautiful airplanes. That P-Baron is one slick ride, Dave, and the IAR is one hell of a fun airplane to fly.

...and to the rest who pulled up a chair and chatted sometime during the weekend with me. I learned something new from every conversation I had and really enjoyed hearing about everyone's experiences and knowledge as PoA aviators. Really looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures, videos, and of course, the exclusive Will Hawkins Gaston's documentary.

Back to school/work tomorrow....damn. Really missing the fun already. To those new folks I met, keep in touch![/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard Robert! Will doesn't seem so crazy for going any more does he? :rofl:

It was a wonderful first acrobatic flight, and by far, the smoothest flight over the lake that I experienced all weekend. Either you have the magic touch, or a magic airplane :)
Maybe our timing was just right. :yes:

Don't know what it looks like in total, but the few seconds I did watch on the camera seemed to have some technical issues. Won't know more until Will starts reviewing footage.
Well, darn. I hope it turns out OK.

Maybe this will seem a trite duplication of posts in this thread (I did not have time to read them, sorry) but I must add my sincere thanks to every person who attended the fly-in. Your presence at the gatherings brings a life to our on-line community that few forums experience. Ours is a very special group of people sharing a unique interest, and to be able to see you in the flesh and to have fun and fly together like we did is an incomparable delight.
I have been in a state of aviation nirvana for the last 4-5 days.
I thank everyone whose efforts to make this event happen.

Someone went out and bought water, food, made cookies/cakes etc, got bbq supplies, moved chairs, erected tents, arranged restaurant reservations, gave a tribute to Bob Bruneau, communicated with the resort about a ton of things, got gas discounts for us, assisted on the radio keep aviators safe, documented the event, pushed airplanes around, organized a/c parking, provided advice or instruction to help each other safe, provided info or did computer work, drove people to town or kbpk, arranged the Poker Run, picked up trash on the flight line after it was all over, ............plus a bunch of other things (many of which I likely missed here) all of which I personally benefited from, and for which I offer my deepest, heartfelt "THANKS!"

why Point Lookout (KPLK) has three hold short lines before you even reach the runway, all about 500 feet apart?

I don't know but unless someone else has an answer I'd wonder about:
-if they had extended the runway, and put in new lines?
-if one set was an ils hold line?
-if the painter was hungover/did them on a Friday and had to re-do them later? I see nothing in the airport diagram to explain it. Perhaps the AF/D has a comment?
Sometimes the only way to get answers to stuff like this is to get the ph # from airnav.com etc and call the mgr or fbo.

I certainly won't remember everyone... but here are a few.

- Thanks to Brent and Bill for being the grillmasters. The food was oh so yummy.
- Thanks to Tony for the flight review
- Thanks to Diana for...being Diana
- Thanks to Kathleen See for being our chauffeur (Steve and Mary did one hell of a job with that one)
- Thanks to Kent for letting me jump in when he was on his way out to get poker cards
- Thanks to Spike for the ride in his beautiful Bo
- Thanks to Chip for my favorite ride of the weekend (sorry Spike). The Husky is BEAUTIFUL. It should be illegal to have that much fun!

It's all right, Jason, I have Husky Envy, too!

- Thanks to Brent and Bill for being the grillmasters. The food was oh so yummy.
Yes!
- Thanks to Diana for...being Diana
Yes!
- Thanks to Kathleen See for being our chauffeur (Steve and Mary did one hell of a job with that one)
Yes!
- Thanks to Chip for my favorite ride of the weekend (sorry Spike). The Husky is BEAUTIFUL. It should be illegal to have that much fun!
It IS! :goofy:

It's all right, Jason, I have Husky Envy, too!

I really did enjoy my first ever ride in a Bo:yes:

...but you didn't throw open the window and door while cruising along 800 ft over the lake. :no:

I really did enjoy my first ever ride in a Bo:yes:

...but you didn't throw open the window and door while cruising along 800 ft over the lake. :no:

Jason, to be fair, you are right...

...but I did fly with the door open during the weekend! :p

Edit: To clarify, the door on the Bo!

Jason, to be fair, you are right...

...but I did fly with the door open during the weekend! :p

Edit: To clarify, the door on the Bo!

I remember last year 2007, you told me you were using a rented plane. Yet someone referred to that as your Bo. Did you purchase a plane in the last year, sir?

Also, I don't want to sound like a weirdo for remembering our conversation from 12 months ago. I have a really good memory like that, that's all :)

Jason:

You are a quiet and unassuming person, in person, but you express yourself very well and it's apparent you don't miss a thing!

Yes, indeed, I was a renter for the previous three years, but this year, the plane I flew in was all mine.

Temporary insanity. I hope it lasts!

Jason:

You are a quiet and unassuming person, in person, but you express yourself very well and it's apparent you don't miss a thing!

Yes, indeed, I was a renter for the previous three years, but this year, the plane I flew in was all mine.

Temporary insanity. I hope it lasts!

Congratulations!

Back