A better server?

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
I'm not sure why, or if it happens to anyone else, but this forum is a major frustration in hung and lost server connections. Perhaps it's my connection, I really have no way to determine it, but while it's hanging POA, I can slide over to FB, LI, mail, or another page on Safari and it will be just fine.

Now, I am fully aware that this site is a work of one person's charity, and I respect that and the fact that he has maintained to honor the no advertising sponsor format. I also respect that he has chosen not to take donations due to the expectations that they were buying favoritism produced in prior such campaigns in fund raising.

However if this is an issue due to the cost of stepping up to the next level of service going beyond charitable means, might I suggest a solution? There are now a plethora of crowd funding solutions, and many of them provide the ability to introduce a screen of annonimity. This provides a barrier that screens the people seeking advantage from donating by eliminating the proof to claim.

At the same time, could you please buy the V-Bulletin patch to automatically resize pictures when they exceed the frame? That is the most annoying thing about this board besides the server hang ups.

not seeing anything odd for performance in my experience, either ...

I've seen some slowdowns from time to time on the tapatalk app and plug in, but nothing extreme.

One exception. The server is obviously doing something at 3AM MT from cron and any posts or attempts to read anything until 3:01 always fail. Not kidding.

Doesn't bother me at all. Makes me realize I'm up waaaay too late.

One exception. The server is obviously doing something at 3AM MT from cron and any posts or attempts to read anything until 3:01 always fail. Not kidding.

Doesn't bother me at all. Makes me realize I'm up waaaay too late.

In my case...up way to early.

Yeah, I assumed it "backed up" at 0400 CT every day because it simly goes down for about 10 minutes.

That's the only time I see issues also.

While at Gaston's, Troy did mention the MC are discussing various improvement projects. Nothing definitive yet. But look for new and better over the next year.

In my case...up way to early.

Yeah, I assumed it "backed up" at 0400 CT every day because it simly goes down for about 10 minutes.

That's the only time I see issues also.

Agree, as I see it at 5 ET.

It's nice to know I'm not crazy. Haha.

Also interesting that it doesn't follow Daylight Savings which is odd for something running from cron, unless the local clock on the server is operating in UTC. ;)

Usually my Linux boxes are set in the local TZ for wherever "HQ" is located since anything that needs to behave is already using UNIX time anyway and doesn't care what TZ is set to on the local machine. :)

My gut tells me it's a backup running. Otherwise the DB table wouldn't lock. My gut also tells me it's doing a dump and not using snapshots. :) :) :)

brian];1939358 said:
MySQL == sucks ...

This is true.

Time for a little database test...

04ec4ea45bd2dd22fc8f7ebcafba649f.jpg

I thought you count turn on transaction isolation in the later versions of MySQL....

We won't develop our products on MySQL. One of our vendors has us using MySQL for a web based app we run the business on. The automated backups start at 7PM. I usually get an unhappy email at 7:01. Sometimes the app won't come back online until we bounce the IIS...

Back