A-6 Intruder

In the book Intruder: The Operational History Of Grumman's A-6, on pages 130-131, a pilot describes the wing as "skin-stressed." Said the A model had no main spar and described it as the aircraft's biggest design flaw. He goes on to cite three wing failures that he knows of including one at Boardman Range (VA-145) in 1969, one in Loas (VA-196) in 1970, and one at Whidbey (VA-145) while in the pattern in 1970.
AFAIK, there were no wing structural differences between from A through E until the composite spar was retrofitted in the late 80's(?). Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin to look for the guy I'd want to ask about that (AMCS Mullins, my shop chief when I was Airframes Branch Officer in late '75).

AFAIK, there were no wing structural differences between from A through E until the composite spar was retrofitted in the late 80's(?). Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin to look for the guy I'd want to ask about that (AMCS Mullins, my shop chief when I was Airframes Branch Officer in late '75).

Yeah I recall the composite spar solved the problem. I remember reading about the work being done at the Grumman facility in St Augustine. I heard at the facility there in the 90s they had numerous A-6s undergoing wing retrofits when "the boss" came in and told them the program was cancelled. Sad ending to a great aircraft.

I believe there were some wing failures much later near the end of the Intruder's service, but that was long after my time.
The one at Boardman you mentioned was in the early '70's, right? I knew of it but not many details. The VA-128 wing failure pulling off target at El Centro in '87 was what got laser-focus on the rewing program, It was underway at the time but things accelerated considerably.

Nauga,
and a few dark days

I wouldn't know where to begin to look for the guy I'd want to ask about that (AMCS Mullins, my shop chief when I was Airframes Branch Officer in late '75).

If you are talking about (Muggs) Mulligan AFCM retired, he works at Home Depot here in Oak Harbor. He went from AN to AFCM in the A6 community

The wing design was in fact designed as a stressed skin, but manufactured from one casting as a top skin matted with a bottom skin, also made from one huge casting, It was not done as a sheet metal riveted together like a Piper, Cessna would be. It does have a front and rear spars, milled from castings also, which form the front and back sides to the fuel tank. This method was also used on the EA and I've spent many hours caulking those fuel cell seams. and measuring the cracks in the rear spar.

Yeah I recall the composite spar solved the problem. I remember reading about the work being done at the Grumman facility in St Augustine. I heard at the facility there in the 90s they had numerous A-6s undergoing wing retrofits when "the boss" came in and told them the program was cancelled. Sad ending to a great aircraft.

The composite re-wing was the death blow to the A6, I was a contractor at 128 when the program started, it did not solve the problem, and simply cost too much. my best flying buddy was the skipper of 128 at the time. He can tell you about scratching the composite and scrapping the aircraft due to a maintainer throwing a tool box up on a wing. It simply was not practical and cost too much, less than 100 got done.

It simply was not practical and cost too much, less than 100 got done.
Somewhere around 200 were done, which was a pretty good chunk of the fleet at the time. Unfortunately it came to late and the joke was the last A-6 would be ferried from St. Augustine (where the new wings were fitted) to the boneyard with a brand-new wing. The wings were expensive and heavy, but they gave the airplane higher g capability compared to metal wings placarded to about half the production limit, and longer fatigue life. What really killed the A-6, in my opinion, was lack of survivability, increasing maintenance and fly-to-failure, rapidly shrinking bringback capability, and nearly non-existent (or in some cases non-existent) dirty single-engine capability. Had the -F not been cancelled to make way for the A-12 it might have lasted a little longer but not forever. Sad to see it go but it was inevitable.

Nauga,
who had fun while it lasted

The one at Boardman you mentioned was in the early '70's, right?
Yes -- right after the Knightriders' last Vietnam combat deployment and before I joined the squadron. The North Vietnamese couldn't kill him, but the US Marines did. :(

Had the -F not been cancelled to make way for the A-12 it might have lasted a little longer but not forever. Sad to see it go but it was inevitable.
The really fabulous replacement would have been the F/A-22 which was proposed in the wake of the A-12 cancellation (I saw a lovely model of it on a desk in Fort Worth), but it got way too expensive way too fast, and the F/A-18F ended up as the "low cost" (and lower capability) solution.

Somewhere around 200 were done,

Nauga,
who had fun while it lasted

I was working VA128 when the last one was sent to DMAFB
, at the decommissioning ceremonies the number mention as to how many were converted was a lot less than 100.

We were the chase plane for the last one :) TC-4C was the last 128 aircraft to land at the bone yard.

No -- Mullins, not Mulligan. I'm guessing he'd be about 75 now.

We have 2 in the phone book, a Tom and a Bob.

We had 4 Master chiefs that would answer to Muggs. Monahan, Mullins, and Mulligan. The only airframer I knew was Mulligan.

We have 2 in the phone book, a Tom and a Bob.

We had 4 Master chiefs that would answer to Muggs. Monahan, Mullins, and Mulligan. The only airframer I knew was Mulligan.
I have no reason to believe this one is still on the Rock. He would have retired at least 20 years ago.

I have no reason to believe this one is still on the Rock. He would have retired at least 20 years ago.

Many of us did, our kids grew up here, married here, our grand kids are here, why would we leave? 75 % of Oak Harbor are retired military, we have the navy support system here, so why not stay? but it would be very typical of a JO not remembering the first name of a "chief" because they probably never used it.

I might add, you may be correct in his not being on the rock, seldom do retirees make it past the 25 year retirement mark.

Last edited:
The really fabulous replacement would have been the F/A-22 which was proposed in the wake of the A-12 cancellation (I saw a lovely model of it on a desk in Fort Worth), but it got way too expensive way too fast, and the F/A-18F ended up as the "low cost" (and lower capability) solution.

While I always wanted to fly the Intruder (I read the Stephen Coonts novel when I was 10), I don't think that the F/A-18F is in any way inferior to the A-6. While it is by no means an air superiority fighter, the Rhino is one hell of an attack jet.

That being said, I'd still sell my soul for a few flights in the Intruder.

While I always wanted to fly the Intruder (I read the Stephen Coonts novel when I was 10), I don't think that the F/A-18F is in any way inferior to the A-6. While it is by no means an air superiority fighter, the Rhino is one hell of an attack jet.

That being said, I'd still sell my soul for a few flights in the Intruder.
While one can debate the capabilities of the Rhino versus Intruder, that was not the comparison I was making. I was referring to the F/A-22 when I made that statement about lower cost/capability in the F/A-18 as an A-6 replacement. The F/A-22 would have had better range and payload as well as being less observable, but the Navy simply could not afford the price tag and still buy the JSF to replace the early Hornets and the Harrier.

And I'd love a ride in the back 'pit of an F/A-18F to compare it to the Intruder.

While one can debate the capabilities of the Rhino versus Intruder, that was not the comparison I was making. I was referring to the F/A-22 when I made that statement about lower cost/capability in the F/A-18 as an A-6 replacement. The F/A-22 would have had better range and payload as well as being less observable, but the Navy simply could not afford the price tag and still buy the JSF to replace the early Hornets and the Harrier.

And I'd love a ride in the back 'pit of an F/A-18F to compare it to the Intruder.

Ah, whoops! I'd enjoy hearing some A-6 stories if I can get out to MD again. Being a Boat School guy, I make it up to Annapolis every once in a while. Beers on me.

Yep, you guessed it. It's an original Flight of The Intruder "Devil 505" inflatable A-6 with working bombs and refueling probe. Rare video store promo item. These aren't cheap my friends. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
Yep, you guessed it. It's an original Flight of The Intruder "Devil 505" inflatable A-6 with working bombs and refueling probe. Rare video store promo item. These aren't cheap my friends. :D

You ever decide to sell it post here first so i can bid.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I love threads like this where you guys talk dirty. Carry on.

Back