A-26 nosegear faiure at Oshkosh

yakdriver

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
yellow peril
My friend John Lane was flying this A-26 at Oshkosh on Monday 7-26 when something broke on the nosegear extension system and left it swinging in the breeze. Great video of the landing and he did a great job keeping it on the runway. Don

Sorry that happened, but there is another thread somewhere on that already. :)

This video makes me wonder, is there a ladder in the responder's tool kit?
"Did you bring the ladder? No, I thought you brought the ladder."

I know it is Monday morning armchair quarterbacking.... but why climb up to get down?

What's the logic behind landing at OSH instead of a much less busy nearby airport? Support team already on the ground at OSH?

I know it is Monday morning armchair quarterbacking.... but why climb up to get down?
I was thinking that at first, but then I saw how many people they had inside. They were probably wanting to stand by to assist getting people out.

As I mentioned on the other thread about this (ahem) I was concerned why they, the FD, didn't get a ladder up there and get those guys out of danger. Nose gear incident but one never knows if a fire could flare up. Did they even have a ladder on their trucks? Someone else mentioned a fire and/or smoke but I didn't see any, other than the sparks grinding on the runway and what I think is smoke from hot metal perhaps?

What's the logic behind landing at OSH instead of a much less busy nearby airport? Support team already on the ground at OSH?

If I ever crash I want it to be at OSH during the show week. The response time of the emergency services is exceptional. I watched when someone declared an emergency due to low oil pressure and within seconds one of the units was roaring into position near the runway. When the plane landed, the fire truck was next to it I'd say within 15 seconds. That one ended well they just shut down and asked to be towed off.

Agreed, even when it's not EAA week at OSH, it's still a better solution than just about anyplace else around (perhaps short of MKE).

There are several shops like Bassler at OSH that have the facilities to repair a big airplane like that not to mention the emergency equipment etc. There was a plastic box in the nose compartment with all the log books and manuals that caught on fire from all the sparks and it burned up filling the cockpit with smoke. They went to the back of the plane to open the top escape hatch for the two people in the back. John is a highly experienced warbird pilot has an unlimited letter for any single engine fighter and several type ratings. He did the right thing. Don

Back