9th of 56, E92

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Estancia Municipal, Estancia, NM (E92)

Yesterday was dirt day. I had gone through airports in 10 different states without ever landing on a non-paved runway. I now have 2 under my belt. You'll also notice that the title has changed to "XX of 56" instead of "XX of 57" because E97, Logan/Ute Dam is officially closed. On to the report:

Located on the east side of the Manzano Mountains, Estancia is a pretty small little town. The water tower is small enough to not even have the name of the town printed on it. The airport is hard to spot at first, as it is surrounded by dirt roads that all look like little mini airports. When you have the airport in sight though, it’s unmistakable. The surface of the runway is officially listed as being "treated" but it’s actually gravel. Maybe that’s what "treated" means.

There are literally NO obstructions anywhere around the airport, except for the houses that are very close together and very near the departure end of runway 26. It’s very obvious that runway 26 is not used very often at this airport, while runway 8 looks stamped pretty good.

Landing on gravel is an interesting feeling. As the airplane sits down, the rocks kind of give way and make a popping sound. I thought at first I had blown a tire until I noticed I still had control of the airplane and the constant sound of gravel crunching under the weight of the airplane clued me in. Also at the moment of touchdown a bunch of rocks were kicked up into the underbelly of the airplane, making a not very pleasant sound. There is only one exit off the runway and it’s at the very end.

This exit is stamped down and completely weed free. It is obvious that this is the preferred entry way into the runway. The ramp is well packed dirt without gravel, and aside from a deep rut in the middle of the ramp, it’s pristine. The rut was apparently caused by an offroader. That seems to be the norm for New Mexico, though.

I got out on the ramp and took some pictures (which I'll post at a later time, after they've been developed). I also took this time to examine the tires and the underside of the airplane for damage. Both looked fine. I checked the prop to make sure that no rocks had chunked the prop. Not even a mark was visible on the prop, which was a good sign. What was not a good sign, however, was that the baggage door was open. I had checked that it was closed and locked before I left....not sure what happened there.

The city of Estancia is not far from the airport. There is nothing in this city. It appears to function only as a residential community where people work elsewhere, because there are NO businesses that I could see from my time in the city.

As I taxied out to runway 26, I chose the taxiway that goes directly to the threshold, rather than back taxiing. This path looks like it hasn't had any traffic in years. Weeds were growing into the taxiway, choking it from existence. Many deep ruts had me fearing a prop strike (none happened). At the end was a path that led to the runway...a very steep climb that required almost 3/4 throttle to climb. At the top is the displaced threshold, which is marked by reflective panels.

At 4000ft long, the runway is not a problem to get off of, but I still tried to get off as quickly as possible to avoid damage by rocks. I was off quickly due to VERY high winds and cold temperatures.

The video below is not very good. The camera turned towards the metal window support, because I need to find a better way to mount it. Listen to the sound of the gravel under the plane...it’s a pretty cool sound.

VIDEOS:
1) Approach and landing, runway 26

ESTANCIA QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 6100 Ft
Runways 8/26: 4000'x60ft, gravel in excellent condition (Not official)
CTAF: 122.9
Nick's NOTAMS: Beware of the weed infested taxiway to runway 26.
No tie downs available
NO FUEL AVAILABLE

Last edited:
Nick, thanks for the latest writeups, very entertaining. If I owned a plane, I doubt I'd want to subject it to gravel strips.

Nick, may I have a word with you?

All of us, myself included, very much enjoy your flight reports and we do like sharing in your adventures. However, there is a matter which has come my attention and will need to be resolved. Specifically, given that your monthly average of aprts visited is 3.6 and you are currently at 9 of 56 after 2.5 months how will you acheive your goal of all aprts in one year? At your current rate you will need over 15 months to achieve your goal.

Just thought you'd want to know.:)

Richard said:
Nick, may I have a word with you?

All of us, myself included, very much enjoy your flight reports and we do like sharing in your adventures. However, there is a matter which has come my attention and will need to be resolved. Specifically, given that your monthly average of aprts visited is 3.6 and you are currently at 9 of 56 after 2.5 months how will you acheive your goal of all aprts in one year? At your current rate you will need over 15 months to achieve your goal.

Just thought you'd want to know.:)

Yeah....I need to step it up a bit. The good think is that when I do the Jal County airports (5 I believe), I'll do them all in one day, so that'll take a nice chunk out of the list. I am way behind tho, something needs to change.

SkyHog said:
Yeah....I need to step it up a bit. The good think is that when I do the Jal County airports (5 I believe), I'll do them all in one day, so that'll take a nice chunk out of the list. I am way behind tho, something needs to change.
Just wanted to let you know, we're all counting on you. Good luck.

Bonus: guess the movie that line came from.

Richard said:
Just wanted to let you know, we're all counting on you. Good luck.

Bonus: guess the movie that line came from.

Airplane! What's my prize? :D

Back