9A0 - Dahlonega, Georgia

Sorry for Necro post, but figured it would be better than rehashing the discussion.

Landed at 9A0 for first time today. I'm embarrassed to say I did not research other than length, so was a bit surprised when I saw the rising terrain on 3 sides I did a straight in approach to 33. Hadn't planned on short field but revised that when I got a look at things. Sometimes I tend to float, but today I used no more than 1/3 of the runway to land and stop

Headed out on Sunday. I plan to depart on 15 unless winds are really unfavorable. I'm in a Decathlon so not worried about climb rate.

Dahlonega is a really cool town both from the air and on the ground.

If you come here, bring stakes and rope. No tie down anchors that I could find.
Try 24A in NC sometime. It gives you a little bit of a rush

Sorry for Necro post, but figured it would be better than rehashing the discussion.

Landed at 9A0 for first time today. I'm embarrassed to say I did not research other than length, so was a bit surprised when I saw the rising terrain on 3 sides I did a straight in approach to 33. Hadn't planned on short field but revised that when I got a look at things. Sometimes I tend to float, but today I used no more than 1/3 of the runway to land and stop

Headed out on Sunday. I plan to depart on 15 unless winds are really unfavorable. I'm in a Decathlon so not worried about climb rate.

Dahlonega is a really cool town both from the air and on the ground.

If you come here, bring stakes and rope. No tie down anchors that I could find.

Did you check out the diving bell?

I’ve always wanted to fly there, thanks for the pirep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neat little town. Done a static display at the college there years ago. 5th Ranger (mountain phase) is right up the road in the Alert Area.

We used to live 30 minutes from there. Never landed there but there are several good restaurants (Smiths seemed like a tourist trap but the food is solid too). Fun shops and quaint place. I’m gonna have fly back there now.

Neat little town. Done a static display at the college there years ago. 5th Ranger (mountain phase) is right up the road in the Alert Area.
My son just started at the college this week. I did mountain phase of Ranger school in Jan '89.

The town is very cool from the air. The gold spire on the courthouse in town square is really bright.

I have flow over Lumpkin many times but never landed there....now going to have to go try it I guess. It looks so benign from 5k feet up LOL.

Another challenging airport close by (60nm) to the northeast is 24A (Jackson Co) Mountains on all sides despite it being on top of a hill. My terrain warnings would not shut up the entire time in pattern. I landed on Rwy 33 because the ATIS recommended it for landings....they should really revise that to Full Stop landings...touch and goes, not so much which is what i was doing. Serious uphill slope on 33 which is great for landings to stop you, but trying to get the 145hp Conti to get going again after touchdown makes the runway feel really really short on a hot day. (Toccoa KTOC Rwy 9/27 is also fun to land at especially approaching for 27)

My son just started at the college this week. I did mountain phase of Ranger school in Jan '89.

The town is very cool from the air. The gold spire on the courthouse in town square is really bright.

Went past the college and the Ranger school today. Couple Black Hawks on the pad.
99A4885A-FCF9-4D55-A756-808189FCB3F6.jpeg 9CC6401C-2F3C-4932-AA85-273B91500CC9.jpeg

I would bet the hawks are there for the parachute infil to the platoon patrol. Postage stamp DZ up north of the Appalachian Trail (AT).

Ever flown past Yonah Mountain? It is about 15 miles ENE, just outside Cleveland GA. That's where they do most of the actual mountaineering training. It's been a long time and I'm sure the POI has changed, but if memory serves we did a day at Merrill on knots and ropework, then rucked up Yonah (suckfest) and did 2 days of climbing and rappelling. Then a 5 day squad patrol along the AT north of Merrill, return and refit for a day, then jump in on a 6 day platoon patrol. Then on the bus to Florida.

My best (worst) memory is walking along the AT late one night in a cold rain in December, trying to keep awake and not lose sight of the guy in front of me. He was leaving white footprints. It freaked me out. My brain had shut down after an hour of sleep for 5 days straight, and I could not process what I was seeing. Finally, after a couple of hours, I realized the rain was freezing on the fallen leaves and the clear ice was turning into white crushed ice when stepped on.

yonah-mountain_p3.jpg

I would bet the hawks are there for the parachute infil to the platoon patrol. Postage stamp DZ up north of the Appalachian Trail (AT).

Ever flown past Yonah Mountain? It is about 15 miles ENE, just outside Cleveland GA. That's where they do most of the actual mountaineering training. It's been a long time and I'm sure the POI has changed, but if memory serves we did a day at Merrill on knots and ropework, then rucked up Yonah (suckfest) and did 2 days of climbing and rappelling. Then a 5 day squad patrol along the AT north of Merrill, return and refit for a day, then jump in on a 6 day platoon patrol. Then on the bus to Florida.

My best (worst) memory is walking along the AT late one night in a cold rain in December, trying to keep awake and not lose sight of the guy in front of me. He was leaving white footprints. It freaked me out. My brain had shut down after an hour of sleep for 5 days straight, and I could not process what I was seeing. Finally, after a couple of hours, I realized the rain was freezing on the fallen leaves and the clear ice was turning into white crushed ice when stepped on.

View attachment 99519

Yeah flown past Yonah quite a few times on the way to Gainesville hospital. Got Currahee about 20 miles SE of Yonah. “Three miles up! Three miles down!”

Back