91 year student pilot....

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
SEATTLE -- Maury Marler is 91-years-old is getting his wings as a student pilot.
And yes, he did pass his flight physical. If you were to meet him, you would think he was much younger. He has all his original knee and hip joints and he is as sharp as a razor.
"I don't feel like I'm 91, either," said Marler.
Marler was born in 1918 while World War I was still raging in Europe. That was the war that saw the first real use of airplanes in combat. But by World War II, young Marler was in flight school after signing up with the Utah National Guard's ROTC program to help pay for college.
Military flight school didn't go so well. He washed out, but he did get a civilian private pilot's license in 1941, but it long since expired. The log book he started using back then has a 66-year gap until 2008 when he went to Galvin Flight Service at Seattle's Boeing Field to take up flying again.
Marler says the flying bug took a long hiatus.
"I didn't think it would, but it did," said Marler.
He was inspired to take up flying again after moving into a retirement community near Renton Airport.
The reality was that Marler's life was all about flying, but not just as a pilot. As an officer in the U.S. Air Force, he was a navagator and logged more than 3,000 hours helping pilots get to their destinations. After rising to the rank of Lt. Colonel, he retired in 1967. Then he had a second career working at Boeing.
Marler says he will only fly if he can do it safely.
“I'll fly maybe another year, maybe two. Maybe longer than that if my health holds up like it is right now,” said Marler.

As reported by MSNBC

His primary advantage is that he won't have much peer pressure.

I had also read this article but wondered about the student pilot part..

"Military flight school didn't go so well. He washed out, but he did get a civilian private pilot's license in 1941, but it long since expired. The log book he started using back then has a 66-year gap until 2008 when he went to Galvin Flight Service at Seattle's Boeing Field to take up flying again."

Doesn't this mean that he has a pilots license and just needs to get current ?

Either way good for him.. I can only hope to still be flying and alive at that age !

Jon

Pilot certificates used to have expiration dates, and his is old enough to have been one of those. Those issued before 7/1/45 (which includes his 1941 ticket) have expired and cannot be reissued without going through the whole process again. See 61.11 for the details.

Thanks for the info Ron.. Now I know " the rest of the story "

Jon

I was wondering about that, too. Thanks, Ron!

That is great, I fly with a 71 year old who, I am glad or maybe ashamed, to say that I cannot hike with, ski with, or fish with because he is in better shape than me.

Back