900 NM round trip cross country - Part 1

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
A few months back I posted about how I was planning on flying my wife and I from Chandler AZ (KCHD) up to the Salt Lake area for my wife's sister's wedding. We ended up making the trip last week, and I thought I'd fill everyone in on how the trip went.

We ended up making the flight in a C172 that I flew quite a bit in flight training. The flight up there was super easy. It was an uber-VFR day. There wasn't a cloud in site and visibility was more limited by the curvature of the earth than any weather conditions. We took off from KCHD, called PHX approach and asked for the Bravo transition to the North. From there I tracked into the DRK by the Prescott airport (KPRC), and then followed it outbound to the TUCKUP corridor to cross the Canyon. After crossing the Canyon we passed over Colorado City, spotted I-15, and then followed it in to Cedar City (KCDC) for a fuel stop.

In Cedar City we grabbed a courtesy car and ran into town for a bite to eat, then headed back after having the plane fueled and headed North. By the way, paying $1.00 extra per gallon for fuel to have someone else pump it isn't worth it. Yikes!!!!!

After leaving Cedar City, my plan had been to mostly just follow I-15 up to the Provo Airport, but the interstate hugs against the mountains, so I stayed a little further to the West and followed the VORs. I tried multiple times to get on with flight following for the second leg of the trip, but the radar system was down. We approached the Provo airport from the South West, flew over Utah lake and made a nice landing on Runway 13. I had been really worried about interpreting marshalling signals, but the line worker looked tired and kind of just waved his arms at us. It was pretty obvious where he wanted us to park anyway. They also brought our rental car right up next to the airplane with us, which was super nice. After getting the rental car loaded up, as we were pulling out, we drove right by a Cessna Citation that had an extended family with about 10 people piling out. They were loading all of their stuff into three Suburbans that the FBO had lined up for them. Sheesh... I need to make more money...

I'll make a separate post for the return trip. It's quite a bit more exciting. I'll also see if I can add some pics.

Sounds like a good trip! Hope the return was as uneventful.
Well, it was exciting, and it got my heart pounding, but we're some safe now! :)

If you do it again, ATC likes you to stay just east of I-15 in the SLC area, still plenty of clearance from the mountains, FYI. At least that has been my experience flying up there. Hope that helps.

Sounds like a nice time! Looking forward to seeing some photos and hearing about the return trip. Glad you made it back safely.

If you do it again, ATC likes you to stay just east of I-15 in the SLC area, still plenty of clearance from the mountains, FYI. At least that has been my experience flying up there. Hope that helps.
Since we landed at Provo, we never made it under the bravo shelf.

Sounds awesome! Glad you had a nice trip, although your pocket might hurt by that fuel bill!:D

....and visibility was more limited by the curvature of the earth than any weather conditions......

I call BS on this trip, since clearly the world is flat.

but if you DID go on this trip, congrats, sounds like fun.

Did they charge you for the crew car?
No, it was free. I actually put two gallons of gas in it, and they told me that I didn't need to do that in the future. There is a two hour time limit and you sign a piece of paper saying you won't leave town.

No, it was free. I actually put two gallons of gas in it, and they told me that I didn't need to do that in the future. There is a two hour time limit and you sign a piece of paper saying you won't leave town.

I asked, because I find that taxis are about $10-12 each way, plus the delay.

If you do the full service and use all of their services, it all works out.

If I fly in and do a quick turn around, I will use self service if available.

I asked, because I find that taxis are about $10-12 each way, plus the delay.

If you do the full service and use all of their services, it all works out.

If I fly in and do a quick turn around, I will use self service if available.
I've actually been into that airport before, and they will let you take a courtesy car even if you use the self serve fuel.

Back