8KCAB Super Decathlon

igorek82

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
i_like_it_inverted
Hi Everyone.

Happy Holidays!

I'm daydreaming about buying one (likely with a partner) probably early 2000s model and was wondering is there any real-world data on how much does it cost to own/maintain such a bird when flown ~100-150 hrs per year (the goal is to start with Primary and work my way into Intermediate aerobatics)? Where would I look to find the info if it exists? Not talking about acquisition costs, just the ownership/maintenance aspect of it...

p.s. if anyone owns/owned an 8KCAB and doesnt mind sharing their experience via PM or here i would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help.
We have a 1978 8GCBC that we use solely as a Glider Tow plane in Idaho.
Our Average annual Totals for 2010-2013 were.
Gas (about 25hrs per year) $1120
Maintenance $2648
Hanger $1915
Insurance (liability and towing only, and put on winter storage) $301
Other $609
Overhaul Reserve $310

Annual Avg total $6913.

I think we pay to much for our annual inspections but the plane is owned by 4 to 5 partners and the majority owning partners prefer to use a certain local shop as opposed to some other cheaper options.
Also while the plane flies pretty regularly during the spring and summer it does not get a lot of hours on it.

Hope this helps a little.

Brian

I think we pay to much for our annual inspections but the plane is owned by 4 to 5 partners and the majority owning partners prefer to use a certain local shop as opposed to some other cheaper options.

I'd be curious what was done during those annuals and what they charged. That maintenance number seems pretty high for me given the type of airplane.

Nothing especially exotic about a Decathlon other than the inverted fuel/oil system, basically just a heavy duty Champ. So I don't see anything that would be out of the ordinary maintenance-wise.

The story usually never varies. Your expense will depend , for the most part, on what you start with. If the decathlon is in real nice shape,low engine time, good cover, tires, tail wheel, with a good mechanic having worked on it in the past, and it gets high marks in the prebuy , you should have quite inexpensive annuals.( like 1500 bucks) It's really quite a bit more than a champ. The 180 has a much larger engine with more expense , prop same, etc. how it was flown adds to the equation. Etc.etc. and if it was outside for sometime that can be trouble also. Much better if always hangared.

I had around 350 h in a Super Decathlon, and it is a great airplane and simple to maintain. In the prebuy the key is to look for evidence that it was not damaged somehow, say in a groundloop or a prop strike. Replaced fabric might be a sign. They are easy to fly and maintain.

Well the Citabria series are one of the tuffest and easiest to maintain planes out there.

Just be aware that if you plan to get into Intermediate level acro (snap rolls) that there is a long history of fuel tank cracks/leaks associated with repeated snaps in these airplanes. The only fix is to remove fabric and replace the tanks. Not a cheap proposition. It has to do with wing flex and violent fuel sloshing. Few are willing to fly Super D's in Intermediate level competition these days. They are great trainers and will fly top level Sportsman in right hands.

Thanks everyone for great input! Would you say flying acro (excluding snap rolls) will have a significant increase on maintenance costs vs an aircraft that is used for glider towing/local/xcty flying?

I'd be curious what was done during those annuals and what they charged. That maintenance number seems pretty high for me given the type of airplane.

I don't have the actual numbers readily available. but I think the shop charges about $1200 for the inspection. We haven't had any major issues during that time. Here a a few things I recall...
Replaced EGT Guage
rejuvated the elevator/stabilizer fabric
replaced the Alternator
replaced vacuum pump
replaced the elevator cables
replaced a wing/fuselage fairing
Installed Shoulder harnesses
replaced Scott Tailwheel

Like I said originally I think maintenance costs could be lower, but I have less than a 1/4 say it how it maintened. I also pay much less than 1/4 of the expenses.

Best part is of the owners I am the only one that actually flies it. The rest just get towed buy it.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I share a 1998 8KCAB with 2 other guys:

I help with the annuals and most maintenance, but I think that costs us more ;)

I'll need to dig out the numbers, but basic annuals should come in less than $1000. The biggest item this time around was a parking brake cable that ran us about $200 installed. (oh yea and that nice fancy engine monitor-- but that doesn't count does it. But don't really like flying without one and neither do my partners....)

Over the last couple years we have chased a tailwheel shimmy and replaced the tail spring, rudder yoke/horn, shims in the tailwheel. Mostly got it nicked, but not perfect.

Also when we bought the airplane the wing strut attach fittings were over due (1000hr inspection- this is a "life limited part" and the NDT inspection or replacement HAS to be done, this was done in response to a couple of inflight wing separations back in the 90's) Not a big deal, we elected to just get new parts- something like $500 and a couple hours to install. As it turns out, ours had very light corrosion and would have failed it NDT inspection anyhow.

American Champion is very reasonable with their parts and tech support. Really couldn't ask for nice people or more reasonable prices. I for one don't mind paying a bit extra to know that it keeps me supported.

Insurance costs us $1500/yr for 1 million smooth on a airframe worth $85k for 5 pilots- all mid to high timers, all having at lest ~50hrs tailwheel.

Happy to help with any details you might need. We love ours and it perfect for the acro, putting around, hamburger runs, etc that we like to do.

The early 90s American Champion airplanes had a lot of issues with paint not sticking to the fabric and paint cracks along the tape lines. Be prepared to spend a lot of time and hassle addressing that. They got better as time went on, due to the factory tweaking the paint process and formulations.

There is a bearing that commonly wears in the Scott Tailwheel. If you have a mechanic that can press in and out a bearing, you wont have to spring for a complete unit.

Back