87octane 10%ethanol for Rotax 912ul

don Freimark

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Don F.
Rotax operator Manual says 87 Octane is ok for the 80hp 912,nothing is said about 10% ethanol.I would like a general consensus from current owners. Thanks

I run whatever comes out of the pump at the corner gas station. Nary a problem over the last 10 (?) years.

If there is an issue it will be with the stuff upstream of the engine. A buddy ran "aviation quality" fuel lines in his Kitfox - lost power on takeoff because they had swelled up internally. I use SAE spec. fuel lines.

I run whatever comes out of the pump at the corner gas station. Nary a problem over the last 10 (?) years.

If there is an issue it will be with the stuff upstream of the engine. A buddy ran "aviation quality" fuel lines in his Kitfox - lost power on takeoff because they had swelled up internally. I use SAE spec. fuel lines.
Fair enough.Im being overly cautious-trolling for any 'bad' expriences-havent found any.In Brazil engines torn down after using 25% ethanol found to be spotless. Thanks for the reply.

I ran premium ethanol fuel in my Rotax ULS with automotive grade fuel lines.

I'm curious what altitude and temps you're flying at. I live at ~4500' and the temps can easily reach into the 90s.

Im guessing 180-190 coolant.Im about to install a in line water coolant gauge as my current temp gauge is in error-showing245.thermo heat gun on radiator shows 170-175inlet 140on the radiator outlet. Milwaukee,wisconsin ... all F not C

I'm curious what altitude and temps you're flying at. I live at ~4500' and the temps can easily reach into the 90s.
Sea levelish (600 msl) airport - temperatures in the 80s are typical in the summer, 30s in the winter. Don't fly a lot at higher altitudes, but have not had any issues. I will also note that the original builder did not install a fuel return and I have left that part alone. I have an electric fuel pump but don't generally use it. Gravity + engine driven pump seems to do the job. And, I would note that everything is pretty open under the cowl and I generally run on the cool slide.

Back