873 people evacuated from A380 in 77 seconds

Cool. Now cut out the lights and light it on fire.

I remember seeing that some time ago - still fun to watch, especially the last guy down the slide. whoops.

I can't remember, but doesn't the FAA require the evacuation tests to be performed with a certain percentage of exits disabled and aisles blocked?

IIRC, they have to do it with the exits on one side of the plane closed in something like 90 seconds. But yeah, where were the fat people who can barely fit down the aisles? Where's the passenger who requires a wheelchair assist at the destination? Where's the entire first class who've been drinking champagne since boarding 6 hours ago?

Well according to the narrator 8 of the 16 exits were locked. Still pretty impressive, although getting yelled at by German flight attendants may have sped things up a bit :)

Pete

I once saw something like that at a Monfort plant in Greeley, Colorado.

I think that time expectation is pretty unrealistic in an actual scenario. Try it with a simulated ditching and the time will up drastically.

Personally, I don't think that plane will make many, if any, fully loaded flights of 800+ passengers. I just don't see it as viable considering it would limit the number of flights. Travelers will go with airline providing the greatest scheduling flexibility.

I got to participate in one of these things for a 737, many many years ago. It was a new plane in the fleet, so the company had to certify all the equipment and they had a new class of FAs, so they just had the new FAs try to empty a (mostly) full 73- in under 90 seconds. Then we got to blow the safety rafts, too...that was the fun part.
It was a little cheesey, though..."sit here until everyone starts yelling, then go row by row to the nearest exit." Cause I'm sure that's how it would actually happen.

Back