8500-8, DUI & BAC

Thank you all. Especially AggieMike. I will check out the free materials. Most likely I will probably purchase the materials my flight school is going to use. They told me the entire "kit" was a few hundred bucks. Although they did say I could find them cheaper online if I looked. But time is money-I have no problem dropping a few hundred on study material. Its the few extra THOUSAND to get past this road block that is a little bit of a hurdle right now.

Even if I am unable to pass the medical, I don't see how any knowledge is a bad thing.

I know I am being optimistic, but the funny thing is...I am not a particularly ambitious person-However, I have never been told "no" in my life. I have always accomplished everything I have ever set out to do. This almost feels a little like someone saying "no", which oddly enough is driving my desire to do this even MORE.

-Alan

Well, that's good if you are determined. The answer isn't NO but "this isn't going to be easy." If you're willing to commit to a bit of evaluation ($$$) and totally abstain from alcohol, maintaining a medical is possible.

However, you'll want to get your ducks in a row by talking to a good AME before exposing anything to the FAA regulatory monster.

Just a footnote to add: YES, I realize how expensive it is to do this. I had set aside enough cash to obtain my PPL (assuming I learned at the average rate). However, I do NOT have enough cash on hand to do both what is going to be required to get over this hurdle AND get through flight school. Also, because of my own values and beliefs I do NOT take on new debt when pursuing something (whether its a purchase, or an activity). I pay cash, or do without and save up until I can.

-Alan

@FirebirdTN --- Something to plan on that could also act as a future Celebration... Show up to our annual fall gathering at Gaston's near Mountain Home, Arkansas. If you're able to get the Medical figured out and your flight training done, it would be a fun weekend for the PoA gang to meet you and celebrate your accomplishments.

For information on past gatherings there, check out the "Cool Places to Fly" section.

Just a footnote to add: YES, I realize how expensive it is to do this. I had set aside enough cash to obtain my PPL (assuming I learned at the average rate). However, I do NOT have enough cash on hand to do both what is going to be required to get over this hurdle AND get through flight school. Also, because of my own values and beliefs I do NOT take on new debt when pursuing something (whether its a purchase, or an activity). I pay cash, or do without and save up until I can.

-Alan
I didn't have nearly enough cash to get through my PPL when I started, but I managed to do it without taking on any new debt. I had a few thousand saved up and I was able to fly a few times a week at first to build up the basic motor skills. When I burned through that money I just took lessons as often as I could afford, maybe once a week and during cross countries where it got more expensive it was maybe once every other week. Finally I got a nice tax rebate and bonus and was able to go back to flying a few times a week and finish up. It took me just over a year and 63 hours total time (including wasting a few hours playing around solo in the practice area).

I would say I am a highly intelligent fellow, although not terribly bright...I do "get it" though:

Chances are I could fill out another 8500-8, not disclose it, and *probably* get away with it. The likelihood of me being "caught" not disclosing something that old is probably very low. BUT...

IF I got caught not disclosing it, that would be a DEATH sentence for my piloting career FOREVER, and possibly even jail time.

While the added expense, and jumping the necessary hoops is an inconvenience, sure...in the grand scheme of things its pretty minor.

Its just not worth that risk to me. Might be fine for someone else, but I just can't take the chance.

One FINAL question for you folks-and this *might* be a blessing is disguise in some way:

What if I actually obtained all the study material the flight school is going to use, and start studying NOW on my own while I am waiting to get this mess cleared up. Do you think that would possibly give me a little "jump" on things, and actually save me some money in the long run at flight school since I planned on going part 61 anyway?

Thank you all again.

-Alan

This is a thing I seem to always have a hard time communicating, find out if it's a problem or not, and that answer is going to be in the FBI background check you can order on yourself, without knowing what your wrap sheet really does, or doesn't say, you're half cocked.

Thought I'd resurrect my thread for an update. No, I didn't disappear off the face of the earth LOL.

I decided to work with my local AME, and basically leave it in God's hands. Although I did have to write a statement concerning my past, present, and future use of alcohol, I did get my "green light" letter in the mail today.

So I did NOT have to dig up any info concerning either incident. Maybe it's because in my case it was so long ago. Maybe it's because I got my DUI as a minor. In any case, just thought I'd update my thread in case any one else has a similar circumstance.

Again, YMMV.

-Alan

Good news, I guess.

Just make sure you don't waste this "green light" by getting caught with another DUI or bend an airplane.

Good news, I guess.

Just make sure you don't waste this "green light" by getting caught with another DUI or bend an airplane.

Of course.

Unfortunately, I will have to put off flight school until Spring. Due to the uncertainty of my medical because of past issues, I did NOT enroll. I didn't want to waste thousands of dollars only to have the FAA turn down my medical.

Now that summer is here, I am effectively a single parent, and just can't squeeze the time/dedication this is going to require right now. I get my youngest daughter every summer.

Gives me time to save some more money though.

Thanks,

-Alan

You can still work on the ground items, including studying for and passing the PPL written.

Also, investigate the local EAA chapters in your area. Their activities will give you and your daughter something to do.

Also enroll in www.faasafety.gov This sight will get you started in the WINGS program, and tell you about local aviation education events and seminars.

Alan I didn't remember anything in the email about depression. I don't have the correspondence at the house, but you need to write me about that.....

Doc - why is depression an issue. Every member on this board is depressed. Not before they joined. But shortly there after.

Hi All, am new to the forum. I have been interested in obtaining my PPL, and have finally decided to pull the trigger, but looks like I may have hit a brick wall right out of the gate:

I had a DUI in which I do not know the date or BAC level.
I also was thrown in the "drunk tank" once for public intoxication.

Both were disclosed on my form 8500-8.

The main concern I have is the >.15 BAC limit. Is that at ANY time, or within a certain time frame?

My DUI was over 30 years ago when I was 16 years old (1986). The records may be expunged, or not even available.

The "drunk tank" incident was almost 30 years ago. I was early in the military at the time, so I must have been around 20 give or take a year or two.

I am now 46.

My ME is tomorrow, and I am wondering if I have already hit a roadblock.

Thanks,

-Alan

Very down doubtful the records of you DUI were expunged. Your states BMV will have your entire driving record on file and most courts are required by state law to keep records for 50 years.

It is doubtful there is a criminal record of your drunk tank issue. Find out how to get a copy of your driving record in the state the DUI occurred. Also get copies of both your state and FBI criminal record.

A DUI 30 years ago is not a big deal with the FAA.

Tuesday Post #1:
I decided to work with my local AME, and basically leave it in God's hands. Although I did have to write a statement concerning my past, present, and future use of alcohol, I did get my "green light" letter in the mail today.

Wednesday Post #2:
Unfortunately, I will have to put off flight school until Spring. Due to the uncertainty of my medical because of past issues, I did NOT enroll. I didn't want to waste thousands of dollars only to have the FAA turn down my medical.

Alan,I thought your first post meant you got your medical, but given your second post, it seems pretty clear you did not.

What do you mean by "green light letter?"

Some sort of special issuance with hoops to jump through? Something else?

Your stock just went up in mine and @JCranford's book.
Sorry to hijack, but I must say that I don't understand the "I will never take on debt" attitude.

If I hadn't taken on debt, I wouldn't have the degrees I have, and therefore not have my job which requires those degrees. I also couldn't have bought a house unless I waited 30 years.

You can still work on the ground items, including studying for and passing the PPL written.

Also, investigate the local EAA chapters in your area. Their activities will give you and your daughter something to do.

Also enroll in www.faasafety.gov This sight will get you started in the WINGS program, and tell you about local aviation education events and seminars.

Excellent advice. You can prep for that written and get a perfect grade basically by buying a used Jepp PPL book, perhaps buying practice exams, and the like.

Sorry to hijack, but I must say that I don't understand the "I will never take on debt" attitude.

If I hadn't taken on debt, I wouldn't have the degrees I have, and therefore not have my job which requires those degrees. I also couldn't have bought a house unless I waited 30 years.
Maybe he means unsecured debt. There's nothing wrong with taking out a car loan or a mortgage on a house as long as you don't get upside down on the loan.

Maybe he means unsecured debt. There's nothing wrong with taking out a car loan or a mortgage on a house as long as you don't get upside down on the loan.
No. That's not it. Thoroughly read and grok "The Total Money Makeover".

Agree.

I have a good job which pays well.

To get that job, I needed a degree before I reached my 30s, so I took out a loan.
For this job, I also needed a car, so I took out a car loan.
I took out a mortgage because I felt it was smarter to pay off a mortgage than pay rent. (And, of course, I couldn't have taken out a mortgage unless I had had that job and car, in the first place.)

Now, with the job, I paid off all of the above.

I think a mortgage is the only loan that makes sense. You can get a usable car for cash instead of a loan on a depreciating item. And don't most car loans go underwater is a year or two?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back