8500-8 Advice

A

Anon Y. Mous

Hey, all. Sat down to start my MedXPress application tonight and I've got a couple questions that I'd like to get some second opinions on before I submit.

I haven't decided whether I'm going first or third class, so... yeah. Sorry I can't be more specific in that regard.

First of all: As a kid, I had mild asthma, but I've since outgrown all symptoms and haven't had an inhaler or anything for years. List it or no? If I do list it, am I still safe?

Secondly: Mild seasonal allergies. I have them. List them or no?

Third: I've had two episodes of unconsciousness/something close to it. In both cases the cause was very clear (external factors. First one was brought on by a soccer ball to the solar plexus, second by overworking myself way too much on a hot day.) Should I list that? That's the one that concerns me the most in terms of whether or not I would be deferred.

Finally: I've been admitted to a hospital three times in my life. Once for adenoid removal, once for a facial laceration, once for a fall from a horse. Should any of these be omitted? Are they all safe?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am unclear on why you are asking about items which are clearly stated on the form to be included and which you appear to know are required to be included.

It comes down to your choice whether to be honest on your medical application. That seems to be the gist of your question or am I simply misreading your post?

Do not lie. The question should not be "is this safe", because that implies you will lie if the answer is you might get deferred by telling the truth.

Not only do you have to sign an attestment that the federal form is correct to the best of your knowledge, which it wouldn't be, you would be showing an attitude that has and will continue to kill pilots. It can kill you if you fudge the CG/W&B paperwork or say there's more fuel in the tanks on paper than in reality. Aviation does not treat pilots who want to take the easy way out kindly.

One would think that the possibility of a $250k fine or 5 years in prison would be deterrent enough when it comes to fudging the forms…

Hey, all. Sat down to start my MedXPress application tonight and I've got a couple questions that I'd like to get some second opinions on before I submit.

I haven't decided whether I'm going first or third class, so... yeah. Sorry I can't be more specific in that regard.

First of all: As a kid, I had mild asthma, but I've since outgrown all symptoms and haven't had an inhaler or anything for years. List it or no? If I do list it, am I still safe?

Secondly: Mild seasonal allergies. I have them. List them or no?

Third: I've had two episodes of unconsciousness/something close to it. In both cases the cause was very clear (external factors. First one was brought on by a soccer ball to the solar plexus, second by overworking myself way too much on a hot day.) Should I list that? That's the one that concerns me the most in terms of whether or not I would be deferred.

Finally: I've been admitted to a hospital three times in my life. Once for adenoid removal, once for a facial laceration, once for a fall from a horse. Should any of these be omitted? Are they all safe?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Read the questions and instructions. List everything you're required to list and nothing more. Did you come here to see if anyone would condone your lying or concealing requested information? Not today, fed.

The only choice you have here is whether you ask an AME for a consultation to discuss your history, and whether and what the specific issues would be, before even filling out the application. It is likely that what you have described would all be ok, even for a Class I, but without knowing all the details, none of us can answer that conclusively.

The larger question though goes to your apparent willingness to lie on a Federal form. That attitude will not serve you well in the future.

You are legally obligate to report all of them. You can consult with a specific AME or consulting service about how these issues may impact your medical and how you should approach your exam.

Back