84 MPG $6,800

Trikes are not my cup of tea, but we stumbled upon a trike rally at Maggie Valley once - great bunch of people loving what they do. More power to them.

High performance sidecar rigs are a whole 'nother thing. I love leaning into turns as much as the next guy, and my little Buell is great for that. But a completely different skill set comes into play with a sidecar rig.

And don't sneeze at what a properly rigged and ridden sidecar rig can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrcPmuR3zFI

I get the impression that for the solo rider, keeping up with that hack through Deal's Gap was a "non-trivial" challenge! :wink2:

Small world, I've met Roger a couple of time in my motorcycle travels. He and his wife have extensively traveled the US and Canada in a series of sportbike based hacks. Good folks.

AUNT Peggy?????:eek:

Interesting claim from the article-

The car has a top crash-impact rating from the National Highway Transportation Safety Board, and is expected to meet all US safety standards.

Has the NHSTB actually ever seen one of these? I doubt it and I doubt it's been tested by them. I hope that's a misquote by the reporter because otherwise, that's a mighty big claim by the manufacturer.

I have personal experience in a niche market.

I've always had a "thing" for sidecars.

At a rally, I saw a beautiful rig, based on a 1998 BMW K1200RS. I asked the fellow to let me know if he ever decided to sell it. Got the call in 2007.

In any case, the fellow had over $40k invested in the build. I bought it for about half that.

11872168843_2c1f6f27c2_c.jpg

As another data point, I had visited the shop in NJ that did Armec sidecar conversions. Their "ALS" front end, by itself, was about $7k. All in, including the bike, could run $45k or more.

High Performance Sidecars are a very narrow niche, so its very hard to determine resale - hardly any go on sale, so when they do its very much a matter of supply and demand.

Anyway, its a hoot for when we want to fly low, and Jake loves being our mascot in parades!

7716611582_4a308fc271_c.jpg

Could have saved yourself a lot of money and got one of these brand new for only $15,399. (Still have to supply your own dog though.)

Patrol-Main.jpg

2014 Ural Patrol

Notice how this vehicle, made in a country with lower labor rates and antique tooling, sells for more than double the proposed Elio price!

My grandfather was Russian, so a Ural would have a definite appeal.

But it's more for puttering around - serious travel on one at speed would be problematical.

Don't hold your breath. They have been taking investors money for 15 years, and have not mass produced the vehicles they said they would. ;)

There is a sucker born ever minute.

Kind of like the Icon A5 and the Terrafugia

Kind of like the Icon A5 and the Terrafugia

The king of them all is the Moller Skycar. 40 years and they are still at it.

article-2268402-172981C5000005DC-421_634x392.jpg

From Wiki-

The craft said to be currently under development, the M400, is purported to ultimately transport four people; single-seat up to six-seat variations are also planned.[3] It is described as a car since it is aimed at being a popular means of transport for anyone who can drive, incorporating automated flight controls, with the driver only inputting direction and speed required.
After forty years and $100,000,000 in expenditure[4] the Skycar demonstrated limited tethered hovering capability in 2003.[5] No subsequent testing has occurred, although public demonstrations have been announced and then cancelled.[6] It has been extensively marketed for pre-order sale since the 1990s as Moller attempted to raise more money for 'development' but fifty years on is often cited as a real world example of physical product vaporware.
In April 2009, the National Post characterized the Moller M400 Skycar as a 'failure', and described the Moller company as "no longer believable enough to gain investors".[7] On May 18, 2009, Dr. Moller has filed for personal protection under the Chapter 11 reorganization provisions of the federal bankruptcy law[8] and it is unknown how this will impact the fate of his ideas; Moller International itself did not file for bankruptcy but reduced operations.[9]

They will still gladly take your money. They have now turned to crowd sourcing. To learn more about this awesome investment opportunity click here.

:rolleyes:

Been tried before and will this most likely fail just like they did.
Corbin Sparrow, Zap Xebra two I can think of off the top of my head. Granted they are electric.

Personally I like the Idea but it is not really practical. Great as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle.
How does mom bring the kids to the soccer game, girl scouts.

I don't know, how does she do it in a Mazda Miata or Porsche Boxster ? Those cars weren't ever lacking for sales. This thing cost as much or less than a name brand 250cc scooter and it's enclosed with air conditioning. "IF" they can deliver it at that price and that is a big "IF" they will be the next VW bug of our time.

If we are going to produce the OP's vehicle. Can we also do this one? http://pal-v.com/the-pal-v-one/ I would love to get one of these.... Straight line commute would reduce my commute by 30-40%

Those are for sale in Europe right now. IIRC the price is circa 250k. The problem with it over here is you would have to registered it Experimental Exhibition since you didn't build it yourself and there is no such thing as an SLSA Gyroplane - yet.

Those are for sale in Europe right now. IIRC the price is circa 250k. The problem with it over here is you would have to registered it Experimental Exhibition since you didn't build it yourself and there is no such thing as an SLSA Gyroplane - yet.
Unless my math is WAY off, that thing is nowhere near LSA-level gross weight even empty. Seems to me they would need a whole lotta waiverin' to get that certified as SLSA. Way more than Icon got away with. I think their claim of being able to fly it in the US with a Sport Pilot certificate is somewhat misleading.

At a quarter mil I suppose it's unlikely to be an issue.

Unless my math is WAY off, that thing is nowhere near LSA-level gross weight even empty. Seems to me they would need a whole lotta waiverin' to get that certified as SLSA. Way more than Icon got away with. I think their claim of being able to fly it in the US with a Sport Pilot certificate is somewhat misleading.

At a quarter mil I suppose it's unlikely to be an issue.

Terra Fugia got a bunch of waivers based on their being a motor vehicle. The FAA is a big bunch of puss*es - if you've got enough money they'll wave anything. Look at that huge engine on the Carbon Cub "for takeoff only" - yeah, right.

Oh, and I heard they bought a booth at Oshkosh this year. Maybe it'll be next door to the Icon. (lolz)

Remember.....Jim Bede promised a fully factory built BD-5D for $4,400. And then sold thousands of them.

3876538929_41a0f2c982_m.jpg

I am still waiting for mine!

This guy should stop the tours of the country and produce the freaking thing.

This guy should stop the tours of the country and produce the freaking thing.
Guy needs to Ponzi it up so he can afford to sell them for 6,800 bucks.:D
Skeptical but hopeful.

The last significant news was in Jan when they signed a lease for the mfg plant which was an old GM truck plant. Supposed to start hiring in earnest in late 2014, and cars come out in mid 2015. My slot is pretty far down, but the latest word is that my production date will be Jan/Feb 2016. People who put up bigger deposits got earlier dates. But - of course, it could all come to dust as has been mentioned a few times.

Somehow, I have a hunch that after this thing winds its way through all of our assorted bureaucracies that it either won't be offered at all in the U.S. or it will look decidedly different, and start at around 20K.

If I'm wrong, I'll be buying one. I'm old, I don't need to pick up chicks.

-John

No crash testing. "Polymer" body [plastic instead of sheet metal, probably not attached in a sheet-metal manner like Saturns were]. AM/FM radio. AC & heat. Even windshield wipers.

The body parts will be molded in color, so no need to paint. Individual panels are not large, so relatively inexpensive to make [based on 2 decades plastic molding experience].

The trunk [no rear windshield] will hold one airline carry-on-sized bag, or three plastic bags from the grocery store.

About 1/3 the size of a small car--notice the distance from the outside of the body to the inside of the wheel pants. 20" wide driver compartment, to leave room for the shifter.

Price point may be reachable, if built without the "assistance" of UAW, AFL-CIO and other "helpful" union organizations who won't let a worker pick his dropped napkin up off the floor because that is the janitor's job.

Price point may be reachable, if built without the "assistance" of UAW, AFL-CIO and other "helpful" union organizations who won't let a worker pick his dropped napkin up off the floor because that is the janitor's job.

I'm sorry, the advertized price is bull crap. It's a marketing swindle at best and a ponzi scheme at worst. I'd love to know what magical manufacturing technique they plan to employ to allow them to sell this thing cheaper than most motorcycles, quads and jet skis. As though the people already making low volume, specialty vehicles, like Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Bombardier, Polaris, Harley Davidson, BMW and a whole lot more are complete maroons that are just too stupid to figure it out. :rolleyes2:

Oh yeah, and they say they are going to be 90% American built content. That is the little bit of information that should clue anybody in that this is a straight up swindle. Has nothing to do with the unions and UAW. People in America demand a higher wage than Chinese workers, or Indian workers. The price point could be met in those countries (with resulting quality), but here it isn't going to happen.

Remember- This price is made up. Nobody is going to buy this thing for this price. It is a swindle. Do not put a deposit on this thing or you will hate yourself later.

For comparison, the Can Am Spyder-

2013_Can-Am_Spyder_RT_Limited_426195_i0.jpg

This is a real vehicle made in North America that you can buy right now. Notice the price. This vehicle has way less content than what is being offered by the Elio site. Is BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products, maker of the Can Am) just too stupid to be able to efficiently manufacture things, or are they just ripping us off for a whopping $10,000 per vehicle?

Okay, can't help myself.

This is a real vehicle, made in India that you can buy right now in Dehli for US$ 2,338 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Nano). This vehicle has MUCH MORE content that what is being offered by the Elio site. Is Elio just too stupid to be able to efficiently manufacture things, or are they just trying to rip us off?
280px-Tata_Nano_im_Verkehrszentrum_des_Deutschen_Museums.JPG

So, all joking aside, the Elio is more than a bit funny looking, but I'm 45 and quirky (my kids say dorky), so I would consider one as a second car for around town stuff. And as someone who has spent their life in manufacturing, this is doable at this price, but HIGHLY unlikely in my opinion. The investment up front to structure manufacturing so as to hit this price and the volumes on the backside necessary to deliver and maintain that price seem pretty unlikely. Additionally, I haven't really seen a valid discussion of after sales support. Though it is pretty basic, this isn't 1970 anymore and consumers don't know how to do ANYTHING anymore.

So, all the above said, it would be interesting to see a well thought through volume/cost curve for Elio ... clearly their price point is based on a significant volume.

I certainly don't know this as a fact, but my educated guess is that the Can Am Spyder was never set up for volume production (at least not automotive qty volumes). The Can Am's are specialty vehicles and the price reflects that. If Elio is planning on building 50 of these a month, their price point is absurd. At a volume of 2,000 a month, it gets much more doable.

PS - That crappy little Nano gets 66/55 mpg HWY/CITY and is regularly used as a taxi. Most Indians I've talked to don't like it because of all of their "recalls" which come out as "free service updates" from Tata. The car is rough around the edges and it almost feels like you could put your foot through the door, but they stand up pretty well in a rugged application in India. Additionally, I'll bet they are a LOT safer than the Elio in an accident, though clearly the original Nano wouldn't meet our crash standards.

Anyone up for smuggling in a couple containers full of nanos? Sell em for 20 grand a piece to hipsters.:D

Anyone up for smuggling in a couple containers full of nanos? Sell em for 20 grand a piece to hipsters.:D

There are also cheap Chinese cars, even some electric ones, problem is without a DOT number, you might smuggle it in, but you can't get plates on it.

Back