802.11 printer

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Anyone know of a color inkjet printer/copier/scanner that I can connect wirelessly to my 802.11 router?

Buy a wireless print server. It appears on the network like a computer, plugs into your LAN port on the back of the printer- or into the USB input. Just don't buy Netgear's - it sucked.

HP5800 series (I have a 5850) or most current rendition has wireless capablity. That said, it works better hard wired to the router with everything else talking to it by wireless.

I have an HP Photosmart 2710 on my 802.11g network with 128bit WEP encryption and it works like a champ. Love it!

igottafly said:
http://www.prismiq.com/products/minifi.asp
if you have one of these, you should be able to use most any printer.
For printing, maybe. For scanning not so much. Most of the All-in-one printer/fax/scanner combos have a proprietary software suite that may not cotton to any messing with the USB connection to the device.

I've got a Canon PIXMA MP760 which has proved to be very good. I've had good luck with Canon.

I just have an extra long USB cable going to it.

Followup to Mike:

The HP Photosmart 2710 does have proprietary software but it works over the wireless just as well as over the USB. From the printer I can scan an image or insert a memory card, and then from the printer decide which computer I want the image to go to. Ditto for faxes (if I had a phone line attached to it). Its very nice for taking images off our digital camera and loading them onto more than one computer w/o having to swap cables around and with a better UI than what the camera offers. :)

So the answer would be yes (Chuck) and that is with his HP printer.

That is an existing router, right - I don't need to buy a separate one for the printer?

Thks,

Correct. The printer can connect to any existing 802.11g (or b) network. You have full administrative control over how it connects to the wireless network.

Be advised that you may have to physically connect the printer to one of your computers just for the purpose of configuring the wireless network, although I THINK you can set it up without the USB cable - it has a pretty good menu system and easy to read display.

Back