80-year-old pilot takes buddies for lunches in Indiana

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
From USA Today. (No subscription required)

A great story! I hope I am still able to fly when I reach that point in my life. :yes:

Last edited:
It is a good story...only because it features a well liked guy doing what he loves.

But if it's predicated on the guy being 80 and still doing it, well, that's not so unique. I know several octogenarians who could beat me in a foot race, or the 85 year old still active in aerobatics in the 12 year old eagle he built himself. Or the 83 year old woman who is active in dressage and shows no sign of slowing down, or the 87 year old retired arborist who still climbs trees.

If the premise of the article is here is an old man who still flies, it's only a sensation to a public ignorant about civil aviation. For too long now what most folks know of aviation is the airlines and maybe military. How astonishing it must be to think, in this day and age, that a guy can just climb into his own airplane to fly off for no other reason than to do lunch with his buddies. They have as much an idea of 'hobby' flying as they do of deep sea diving.

Still, it is a good story and I too hope I'm still doing it at that age.

It is a wonderful story. I hope that many of us can keep flying as long as we can. I feel so lucky for I have been flying and learning for over 45 years.

Thanks for the post Mike. Us older pilots really appreciate it.

John J

Back