8-27 Pattern Work with Great Results

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
I've been flying 09L since the middle of June, and now that I'm really comfortable with the airspeeds I've been flying and how the plane handles, I woke up this morning and figured it would be a great way to start of the morning with some pattern work, focusing on those Short and Soft Field Landings / Takeoffs.

Today's preflight was interesting, as the right fuel sump got stuck in the UP position :yikes:. It's been a little stiff lately, but this time it was stuck and filling up the GATS jar fast! I opened my leatherman and quickly tried to grasp the sump base and wiggle it down, trying not to get fuel all over my work clothes, which would give away my early morning tardyness :fingerwag:

Got it un-stuck, but I had an overfilled gats jar and at least another full one all over the ramp pavement. Well, I decided to press on with the morning plan, and finished the preflight.

Winds were 030-050 at 3 knots, so I departed with a soft field on RY 6. Nice departure and a loop around the pattern before comming back in to land. Followed the VASI tightly, and nearly touched down on the top of Number 6. Rolled out to Taxiway Charlie (2000 ft from Threshold), as I didn't want to hold on the brakes for Bravo cause I was till moving a little fast.

Two more times up and around the pattern, this time with a short field takeoff and apprach. First landing was about the same, rolling to Charlie again,... but the second, I was so solid and stable on final,... I had to go for Bravo,... full flaps, 70 MPH approach, then about 60 MPH with stall horn on,... as I crossed the road and touched down right on the threshold stripes! Barely used the brakes to get off at BRAVO!! :cornut: (1012 feet +/- according to Google Earth)

I quit for the day,.. can't top that ! Time to get the sump fixed / lubed. Now I"m at work, so I better get to doing something. :idea:

Sounds like a GREAT way to start the day.

I may go up with MikeB in the 172 tonight and shoot approaches, we shall see.

Ugh! Stuck drains!

I had one get stuck good in a Skipper -- 10 Gals of fuel poured out into a variety of pails and buckets before I got it shut.

:sosp:

Back