7th of 57, 0E0

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Moriarty Airport, Moriarty, NM (0E0)

On the way back from my previous report in Conchas State Park, I decided to stop off at Moriarty to have a look around. The wind was really whipping. I have no way of knowing exactly what the winds were doing, but the windsock showed the winds close to 260@more than 15, easily more than 15. My ground speed on short final was quite slow, making for a fairly smooth landing.

After landing, I parked the plane on the ramp, and was hoping to get some fuel. I had enough to get home, but I like having more fuel than I had on me at the time. No one was at the airport anywhere. Luckily, there is a self serve pump, but it appeared to not work, so no fuel available on this trip. There were 2 fuel trucks sitting on the ramp, presumably full of fuel, but not for me!

I walked around the airport a bit to get a feel for where things are. The city of Moriarty is a ways away from the airport. There are residences close by, but that is about it.

I headed back out to my plane and taxiied for takeoff. As I got near the end of runway 26, I started looking for the hold short line. I couldn't see it anywhere, so I just stopped and did my runup where I was. After doing the runup, I glanced behind the plane on the ground, and found the hold short line. I was still ways from the runway, but I was definitely past the hold short line. I announced takeoff intentions and left, keeping an eye out for the tower almost directly off the departure end of runway 6, standing at 393 feet above the ground (6767 MSL).

It is a bit tough to raise Albuquerque Approach from this area, so coming through Albuquerque's class C airspace is tough, unless you're like me, and you climb to 10,500 feet on a regular basis. The mountains block Albuquerque from receiving you until about 9300ft. For what its worth, the top of Albuquerque's Class C is 9400, but if you plan on going to Double Eagle II, you will need to descend through the C, so its easier just to talk to them early.

This is a new one - I'm including video of the approach and landing here.

MORIARTY QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 6199 Ft
Runways 8/26: 7700'x75', asphalt surface (cracking in many places)
CTAF: 122.9
Nick's NOTAMS: No real FBO on field. Look for the glider ride sign to find any signs of life. Hold short lines are VERY hard to find near the end of RW 26. Climb to at least 9300 feet MSL to expect response from Albuquerque Approach.

VIDEOS:
1) Approach and landing, runway 26

PICTURES:
1) Ramp from Taxiway
2) Sundance Aviation Sign
3) Glider rides! For a good time, call....
4) Welcome to Conchas sign
6) Towplane and Glider, ready to go (but not going anywhere)

Last edited:
Thanks for another review.
Just curious, how much time on average would you say you spend at these airports?

deafsound said:
Thanks for another review.
Just curious, how much time on average would you say you spend at these airports?

It depends. This one was not very long because there was NOTHING to do there. At Conchas, I was there about an hour or so, as with most of the others.

Nice report, Nick. I suggest you send in an ASRS report about the hold short line. Well, at least think about it. I did that very same thing at MRY, a Class C, with the twr operating. They let it pass because everyone was having problems with the faded aprt markings but I was relieved and appalled by the cavalier attitude.

I don't know what you mean about not being able to determine the winds. You mean sfc winds or while en route? I like your reports, keep 'em coming.

Richard said:
Nice report, Nick. I suggest you send in an ASRS report about the hold short line. Well, at least think about it. I did that very same thing at MRY, a Class C, with the twr operating. They let it pass because everyone was having problems with the faded aprt markings but I was relieved and appalled by the cavalier attitude.

I don't know what you mean about not being able to determine the winds. You mean sfc winds or while en route? I like your reports, keep 'em coming.

I'm talking surface winds. No AWOS - only a windsock. I meant that I didn't know the exact direction or intensity of the winds, only a ballpark idea. It was very windy though!

Thanks for the compliment!

GMascelli said:
Nick,

Related to your quest for 57 of 57

Check this link out! This was posted on the red board...sure wish a few more states would follow that line of thought.

http://www.doav.virginia.gov/Ambassadors.htm
In lieu of that it would be nice to have a pic of your a/c in front of some identifying feature of each aprt.

SkyHog said:
I'm talking surface winds. No AWOS - only a windsock. I meant that I didn't know the exact direction or intensity of the winds, only a ballpark idea. It was very windy though!

Thanks for the compliment!

I'll take a swiveling windsock over AWOS or FSS any day !

Back