Display name:
UngaWunga
This weekend. 10/7. Its in NH for those that are too lazy to look
From their flier....

Bomb Drop!

Join us for our Annual
Spot Landing Competition,
Bomb Drop, and Cookout!

Cookout Tickets: $15/ea (in advance at FBO)
Cookout Tickets: $20/ea (day of)
Bombs: $10/pair

October 7, 2017

What's better than flower bombs? Rubber Chickens! Weight them with some lead shot, number them with a sharpie, then "sell" them to the pilots as a fundraiser. Allow the pilot to purchase as many as he wants, and whoever gets closest to the 10-ring of the target wins the prize.

Hampton, NH. Airport is listed in the National Historic registry. I Used to fly J-3 Cubs there. 40 yrs later I think some of the same tail numbers are still there.

I’ve been curious how much flour and what kind of bag people use for these contests. So I can practice at home. But now I am curious whether Costco sells rubber chickens in bulk. Thanks for that.

Sounds like a blast....especially the cookout. We used to do such events in Juneau but its been years since they had one. They used a pound of flour in a brown paper sack with a streamer. Flew at 300 ft and the target was a buoy between the runway and taxiway. I won 1st place and an Apollo Precedus GPS. Didn't do as well on the spot landing competition. Hope you all have fun...:)

I think the limit is 300' or 400', and the bomb is about the size of your hand, wrapped in paper. Gives a nice plume when it hits the ground.

I have only one opening window on my 172. Should the bombardier sit behind me and use the left window, or just open the right side door and drop it out?

Should the bombardier sit behind me and use the left window, or just open the right side door and drop it out?
Have the bombardier use the right side window. We made a few bombs like they were going to use, flew out to a small island in the middle of Young's Bay and made a few practice runs. I think it helped, timing is everything....:) The winning shot for us was within 6 feet of the target.

Don't have a right side opening window, hence trying to open the door.
Wonder where I can practice dropping stuff. Seacoast here is a little crowded with houses... Island has a research station and other stuff on it, they probably wouldn't like me dropping things there. Maybe the nuke plant wouldn't mind...

Ha! No point in even thinking about it in a Cardinal (even if I had the time)... the only opening windows it has are the little triangular ones for tossing cigarette butts... never understood why Cessna ever used those. :dunno:

Weather is good, bombs are dropping.

Fog rolled in off the ocean at 3, stopping the bombing runs. Lobster and steak almost cooked... Beers are out.

Don't have a right side opening window, hence trying to open the door.
Wonder where I can practice dropping stuff. Seacoast here is a little crowded with houses... Island has a research station and other stuff on it, they probably wouldn't like me dropping things there. Maybe the nuke plant wouldn't mind...

Wish I could have gone today. too busy. Go down to Plum Island to practice! there never seems to be any traffic there...

Fog rolled in off the ocean at 3, stopping the bombing runs. Lobster and steak almost cooked... Beers are out.

Jealous. I was planning on swinging by there after the aopa thing. My alternator, however, had other ideas. Hope it was fun...any video?

Wish I could have gone today. too busy. Go down to Plum Island to practice! there never seems to be any traffic there...

Yea, right- that field is always quiet, but on the weekends they have that good food truck which makes for a nice stop.

For $10 they'd take someone up in a Cub for 2 runs. They were quite busy.
Dinner was excellent. Clams, lobster, steak, corn....

Back