79 Grumman Tiger

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I need a few tips, suggests tigons, warnings if you will.

An acquaintance of mine has a Tiger, he has a possible brain issue that keeps him from flying. In fact the hours flown between annuals was 6 hours. SAD

He is considering allowing me to fly it to keep it and fly it for him.
Here is the issue as I know it.

The frame has 2000 hours and the engine has 1750.
IA says compression is 70+ on all cylinders, no oil leaks found.

The caster wheel has had to be rebuilt in this annual.

It is not IFR current, I think that would be on me to get certified.
The owner will provide tie down fees and most major work.

My real question/concern is the engine.

What is everyone's opinion?
Thanks.

Yeah, those rotten teeth in the free horse problem...

Engine will seize on the next take off, and then the nose gear will fall off as you crash.

Just -- wow.

Based on the limited info, what's the problem?

I'd just be curious why the engine got overhauled at 250 hours.

And, of course, be sure you're a named insured and you're happy with the coverage.

Beyond that, just go fly the darn thing!

Fly it like you stole it.
Seriously.
Chilling in the hanger is worse than the time on the engine.

I wish I had your problems.

No concern. Its not using oil. Its getting compression. Carry on

What he said

Also for the IFR part, if it has all the required equipment it ain't a big deal to get the checks done again and have her legal for IFR ops

I'd get a mechanic whom I trust to look the plane over inside and out, then decide on the basis of his report. Yeah, it might cost $500 or more for that, but think of the cheap flying you get in return (or the cheap cost of avoiding getting injured or killed or just having an accident on your record).

The engine is a Lycoming, so quite possibly it will suffer from camshaft corrosion from lack of use. However, from a pilot's perspective this is more of an owner's problem. Oil filter inspection at oil change will tell you when lifter spalling happens. I would recommend 25 hour oil changes, or better yet, the first one on your watch at 10 hours. Spalling is a gradual failure, not catastrophic, so just keep checking the filter. Other than that, go over the logs and get an idea of how the plane has been maintained.

I'm guessing the OP is concerned about the pro-rata share issue. It's late and I'm not looking up the FAR referencing it. I have other matters to tend to.

I'm guessing the OP is concerned about the pro-rata share issue. It's late and I'm not looking up the FAR referencing it. I have other matters to tend to.
I think the OP was concerned about the condition of the aircraft. Neither the "pro rata share" issue nor any other 61.113 problems crop up as long as the aircraft owner doesn't ask the OP to fly him places the OP wasn't already going -- pure generosity remains legal.

I think the OP was concerned about the condition of the aircraft. Neither the "pro rata share" issue nor any other 61.113 problems crop up as long as the aircraft owner doesn't ask the OP to fly him places the OP wasn't already going -- pure generosity remains legal.

We spoke specifically about a similar situation and you told me that the pilot must have at least a commercial for legality. What was different about that scenario?

We spoke specifically about a similar situation and you told me that the pilot must have at least a commercial for legality. What was different about that scenario?
I don't think I ever said that where there was no quid pro quo. Where you would run into that problem is if the owner asked you to fly it to another airport for maintenance and the owner paid the direct cost of the flight. As long as the OP buys the gas and oil, and flies only when and where he wants, there's no issue.

The quid pro quo is
Owner: I have a plane that needs to be flown to retain its value
Pilot: I'll fly it for you
Owner: Just put back the fuel and oil you use

Sounds like one of those $0 dollar rental deals that you said sounds like a duck

The quid pro quo is
Owner: I have a plane that needs to be flown to retain its value
Pilot: I'll fly it for you
Owner: Just put back the fuel and oil you use
The FAA isn't going to hear this as a quacking duck. The rule says "direct operating costs", so if the pilot puts the fuel/oil in and doesn't actually transport anything anywhere in particular for the owner, it's OK. The retention of aircraft value is a bit too intangible to be considered a quid even by the FAA.

Based on the limited info, what's the problem?

I'd just be curious why the engine got overhauled at 250 hours.

I'd imagine Total Airframe time is based on Hobbs, engine on tach. That said, I agree, no apparent issue... unless you suspect the mechanic or owner not fulfilling their responsibilities to maintain the aircraft for some reason, it is unlikely their are any issues.

That said, 1750 tach hours since 1979 is 35 hours a year, so if I were BUYING the plane I'd certainly want to check for possible corrosion, any AD issues, etc...

If you are really concerned, I'd suggest offering to pay for an oil change and checking the filter and having the oil analyzed. The owner gets a free oil change, you get some piece of mind.

I'd imagine Total Airframe time is based on Hobbs, engine on tach. That said, I agree, no apparent issue... unless you suspect the mechanic or owner not fulfilling their responsibilities to maintain the aircraft for some reason, it is unlikely their are any issues.

That said, 1750 tach hours since 1979 is 35 hours a year, so if I were BUYING the plane I'd certainly want to check for possible corrosion, any AD issues, etc...

If you are really concerned, I'd suggest offering to pay for an oil change and checking the filter and having the oil analyzed. The owner gets a free oil change, you get some piece of mind.

The Hobbs vs Tach is something I did not think to ask. Great comment.
I will have oil changed and filter checked if the opportunity comes to me.

Thank you

35 hours/ year sounds like it meets Lycoming's recommended (IIRC) take it out for 1hr of cruise flight biweekly.

Unfortunately, I'd think you really should do so about once every 3-4 days.

Tach generally runs "slower" than Hobbs, but that would only account go a 10% to 20% difference depending on usage.

On further reflection, I'd be thinking prop strike - Grummans do not like to be forced on and a prop strike can result if the pilot tries too hard to save a porpoising landing.*

That would show in the logbooks. But after this much time it's just a matter of curiosity.

BTW, I have had several owners loan me planes and I just paid for the fuel. Never, ever occurred to me that that could run afoul of any regs - and I can be a bit of a stickler in these matters!

*The demo Cirrus I bought had a new engine and prop at about 165 hours due to a prop strike while taxiing. I was glad to have zero time components, but was warned it would still be seen as accident damage and could affect resale. I did not really see that effect when I sold the plane 4 years later with about 650 hours on it.

Back