bob_albertson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
I don't remember where the forum post was about the 787, but thanks to a very kind United pilot I met on the red board, I was able to get the grand tour of the sim today:

787Day014.jpg

There is a touchpad that you use to move a mouse pointer through the various MFD's and honestly it seems a bit of a pain.... if they had just made each MFD a touch screen it would be very nice to work with. There is an electronic EFB on the sides, and it is a touch screen... set up so you can scroll across the page like you can with an iPAD. The overhead was sooooo much better than what a Saab has. So much more simple. I thought it was especially cool that whenever you have a problem the required checklist automatically pops up on the MFD. It's a paperless airplane, so no old fashioned QRH's or QRCs to dig through... no more embarrassing moments going.. oh wait that's a loop checklist LOL. It's an all electric airplane too.... no bleed air for the wings and tail or for the packs. I have a feeling that even though the cockpit seems intuitive, knowing the systems and integration of them all is probably a nightmare LOL.

Fantastic time at the Sims today. Hope to get to be in one some time in the future :D

Have you finished your multi rating yet?:D

So is the 787's software Windows 7, or IOS 5?

Nice Bob, that's awesome! Where do they have those sims?

I got to watch the 787 at BFI several months ago. Beautiful plane.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3416.JPG
    IMG_3416.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
The sim in is Houston at the Continental training facility. They just cut a huge hole in the side of the building to fit another 787 sim in there. It's a nice nice plane :yesnod:

You haven't felt small until you have taxi'd past a 787.

Pics taken on the ground at Logan a few weeks ago.

utf-8BZHJlYW1saW5lci5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BZHJlYS5qcGc.jpg

forgive the poor quality of my CrackBerry camera.

You haven't felt small until you have taxi'd past a 787.

Pics taken on the ground at Logan a few weeks ago.

utf-8BZHJlYW1saW5lci5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BZHJlYS5qcGc.jpg

forgive the poor quality of my CrackBerry camera.

What? The 787 is about the same size as a 767, nothing to write home about. Check out a 777, A330, 747 or A380 and prepare to feel tiny, even if you are in a 767.. :)

I thought it was especially cool that whenever you have a problem the required checklist automatically pops up on the MFD. It's a paperless airplane

I saw that kind of thing once. I always wondered what happens if the problem is that the computer or display that displays the checklist is acting up. Black-on-black and black-on-off is pretty difficult to read.

What? The 787 is about the same size as a 767, nothing to write home about. Check out a 777, A330, 747 or A380 and prepare to feel tiny, even if you are in a 767.. :)

utf-8BNzQ3LmpwZw.jpg

We taxi'd right past this 747 on the trip back to the runway. This one was taken prior to parking at Signature. Keep in mind we were in a Baron...everything looks big in a Baron.

Last edited:
So is the 787's software Windows 7, or IOS 5?
I don't see any smilies here so not sure if the question is supposed to be serious one or tongue-in-cheek.
Hope it is tongue-in-cheek but in case it was meant to be a serious question - the answer is neither.

Last edited:
I don't see any smilies here so not sure if the question is supposed to be serious one or tongue-in-cheek.
Hope it is tongue-in-cheek but in case it was meant to be a serious question - the answer is neither.

I don't do smileys.

Back