777 to be discontinued?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I think AOPA made an error in this news brief in last month's issue. Look at the last paragraph in the attached scan.

Although they say "the company has announced", I can't find anything on Boeing's site to support this statement.

Orders look good for the 777: http://active.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.cfm

They just announced the new cargo version of it. It's a relatively new model, excellent safety record (no fatal accidents other than a ground handler who died in a refuelling fire in Denver due to his own error), and I don't think the 787 fits the same usage profile as the 777.

I flew on a British Airways 777 to London in 1999, and got to fly in the cockpit for the descent from cruise and approach into Gatwick... we were way back in coach (near the back of the plane) and it felt like first class in a "normal" plane. Long live the 777!

Attachments

• 777 Discontinued.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
I think the 747-400 was discontinued, not the triple 7.

Yeah, the 747-400 line is shut down. Not discontinued, there are just no more orders for it. They'll still be making the Freighter, and can resume production of the pax version if orders come in.

777 will be going for a while - in fact one of the reasons the 747 line shut down was because customers converted their orders to 777s.

I think what they intended to say was this is the last 77 order for "Continental", not for Boeing's production. After this last 77, COA will use the 78. The 77 seems far too new to eliminate it yet.

Ya that does not sound right. There are no orders currently for the 747-400 and the passenger version is not going to be produced past filling current orders. The line is being converted to the cargo version of the 747.

The 777 is not being replaced by the 787. It is my understanding that the 757 and 767 is being replaced by the 787.

Back