763's into DCA as a scheduled flight...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Apparently DL has added a 763 to their regular schedule into DCA. I don't recall there being any widebodies into DCA since Eastern ran A300-series planes in there back in the early '80s.

Flightaware link

Youtube link

Wow, that's a short field for a 763. If that's a regularly scheduled flight - I'm gonna have to go to Gravelly Point and watch that sucker arrive and depart.
z

Last edited:
I wonder if that's permanent... Delta did that with IAH a few weeks ago. A 763 came in from JAX as a sports charter for the Jaguars and went back to ATL as a revenue flight. It came back in a couple of days later as a revenue flight from ATL and went back out as a sports charter back to JAX. I'm surprised that airlines don't do this more often... it would be a great way to save money on dead-heading aircraft and crews.

EDIT:

It does look like a temporary thing... while FA has it today and tomorrow as a 763, the Delta Flight Schedule (http://www.delta.com/schedules/travel/reservations/flight_sched/index.jsp) has it as a 757. I'm guessing that a 757 is down for maintenance and they're just subbing in a 767 for a couple of days - it makes sense, as they can use the same crew for both, plus a flight attendant or two.

I guess if they keep the pax load down to match 757, then the 76 can make it in and out on those runways.

Don't they still have that 1500nm range limit out of DCA? If so, I think a 767-300 will be relatively light on fuel, and thus require a relatively short runway, coming out of there.

Umm.. I think the Wright amendment got killed a few years back, but I may be mistaken.

Maybe it was just the portion that pertained to DAL.

Or maybe I'm confused, and the DCA restriction wasn't part of the Wright Amendment.

I've heard from other sources that the 767 isn't a permanent thing but it'll back a couple of times in January due to demand (the inauguration).

The rumor I heard was that DL plans to run the 767 on DCA-SLC. Given that they didn't used to fill a 757 on IAD-SLC, that would surprise me, but who knows. It's just a rumor....

Delta has posted the 767-300's for Jan 20 and 21. Inbound to DCA on the 20the as Delta 1978, Inbound on the 21st as Delta 1950, 1954, 1958 and Outbound on the 21st as Delta 1955, 1959, 1963, and 1967.

DCA-ATL is about 600 miles one-way. Ought to be able to take a light fuel load. I guess there's enough gate space to fit the wingspan.

The Wright Amendment, while similar in nature to the DCA restrictions, applied only to Dallas Love Field (KDAL). It has been modified to allow ticketing for flights from DAL anywhere in the country, as long as they touch down on the way in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama (I miss anuthing?).

---

AA used to run a DC-10 from Austin (the old Mueller Field, not Bergstrom) to DFW- that was a lot of airplane for not a lot of runway.

Charters.

Democrats.

There's one set up for MS on those days. Small donations accepted.

U of AL used one to fly the team to ATL for the SEC football championship. Saban flew out beforehand on a bizjet.

Was interesting to see a DL 767 on the ramp at TCL that day. Used about half the rwy on t/o.

Delta has posted the 767-300's for Jan 20 and 21. Inbound to DCA on the 20the as Delta 1978, Inbound on the 21st as Delta 1950, 1954, 1958 and Outbound on the 21st as Delta 1955, 1959, 1963, and 1967.

DCA-ATL is about 600 miles one-way. Ought to be able to take a light fuel load. I guess there's enough gate space to fit the wingspan.

Back