757 evacuation slide deploys in flight

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
A United Airlines flight was forced to return to Portland International Airport shortly after takeoff after an evacuation slide deployed in flight...

Passengers told KGW an emergency slide, designed for evacuation procedures, deployed while the plane was still in the air and they could hear it flapping in the wind as the pilot slowly tried to steer the plane back to the airport.

http://www.ktvz.com/story.cfm?nav=oregon&storyID=11640

I hate when that happens.

I once left the passenger seat belt buckle outside and returned immediately when I heard the racket. Imagine something that big getting hit by 250 knots of wind. At least it's not metal.

Last edited:
This appears to be one of the overwing slides. I thought those were always inside when the doors were closed even for the over wing slides. Just how the heck does that happen?

Frank Browne said:
Scott yer killin me with those avatars! I do like that one though! LOL
Glad you like 'em

I started a thread in Hanger talk about the Da Vinci Cat Code which is why I chaged to this one.

mikea said:
I hate when that happens.

I once left the passenger seat belt buckle outside and returned immediately when I heard the racket. Imagine somethinghat big getting hit by 250 knots. At least it's notmetal.

I'll bet the passengers knew something was amiss. I wonder if that thing was slapping up against the windows? :hairraise:

I can't see how that is possible.

Edit. Never mind. The overwing slide is mounted in the body there somewhere by the emergency exit. I still would like to know how that happened.

Last edited:
Back