750 and published departure hold

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Departing KRNO using the FMG8 departure, there is a published hold. How does one load this into the 750 without having to manually enter the hold parameters?

Departing KRNO using the FMG8 departure, there is a published hold. How does one load this into the 750 without having to manually enter the hold parameters?
You have to build the hold. The FMG8 isn't an RNAV SID, although if it were that hold still would not be in your database. Holding patterns on SIDS and STARS are not in the database.

You have to build the hold. The FMG8 isn't an RNAV SID, although if it were that hold still would not be in your database. Holding patterns on SIDS and STARS are not in the database.
I don't recall seeing a holding pattern on a SID in 'bold' black before. It 'implies' it would be 'loadable.' Jepp charts it in 'thin' line just like an arrival hold.

I don't recall seeing a holding pattern on a SID in 'bold' black before. It 'implies' it would be 'loadable.' Jepp charts it in 'thin' line just like an arrival hold.
Not in bold on the Jepp chart. The line leading to the hold is in bold. And, the hold is not in the database. Arrival and departure holds never are, not even on RNAV STARS and SIDS. The only holds in the database are HILPTs and missed approach holds.

Attachments

• FMG8.jpg
    FMG8.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
Not in bold on the Jepp chart. The line leading to the hold is in bold. And, the hold is not in the database. Arrival and departure holds never are, not even on RNAV STARS and SIDS. The only holds in the database are HILPTs and missed approach holds.
Yeah. Do you have any idea why the GOV wants to chart them in bold?

Shown as bold on the "government" chart. (PS to Wally, not picking your nit, just providing info that it's different than the Jepp chart)

And I echo @luvflyin's question. I'm curious too, and you are always a good source for info on TERPS items.

upload_2017-11-2_11-46-3.png

Yeah. Do you have any idea why the GOV wants to chart them in bold?
They are bound by a very rigorous set of interagency charting specifications. Why they chose to have other than an HILPT in bold escapes me. They don't do it with missed approach holding patterns.

Here are the legends for FAA SID/STAR and IAP charts. It's apparent they want the SID/DP holding pattern to be bold, but not the STAR holding pattern.

Doesn't make sense to me. Apparently not to Jeppesen either.

Attachments

• DB_STAR_Legend.jpg
    DB_STAR_Legend.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IAP Plan View Legend.jpg
    IAP Plan View Legend.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 8
I posed this to the FAA person in charge of charting. Answer:

"I don’t know – they have been this way since long before I took over the specifications & I can’t find a history for the logic behind it. Is this a problem???"

Since the FAA distinction is lost to history let me offer this: The departure holding pattern is bold because it doesn't require an ATC clearance other than for the DP itself. The STAR holding pattern is thin because it requires a separate ATC clearance.

Since the FAA distinction is lost to history let me offer this: The departure holding pattern is bold because it doesn't require an ATC clearance other than for the DP itself. The STAR holding pattern is thin because it requires a separate ATC clearance.
That passes the logic check

That's also the way that I have always understood it...bold course lines are expected to be flown as charted once you are on the a procedure.

That's also the way that I have always understood it...bold course lines are expected to be flown as charted once you are on the a procedure.
If you can cross FMG above the hold isn’t required. I believe it is bold because it doesn’t require an additional ATC clearance.

Back