737 type rating

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
I'm thinking about getting (or trying to get) a 737 type rating next year for Christmas. I don't think I'll ever be able to use it, but I figure it might be a lot of fun to learn more about the 737 and larger turbojets in general. I should have about 700 hours by then, most of them in HP and Complex, but precious little multi and no turbine time.

Assuming that the training facility will take me (I'm looking at Higher Power Aviation in Texas, or PanAm), am I going to make a complete idiot of myself? Is it just too crazy an idea?

Insight or advice appreciated....

Thanks,

-Felix

If you want to get a little taste before you drop all of the cash on a full type-rating, you could come down to Houston and do this: http://www.b737.com

Thanks for the links. The B737 program sounds interesting and it's amazingly cheap, so I might just do that....

-Felix

If you want to get a little taste before you drop all of the cash on a full type-rating, you could come down to Houston and do this: http://www.b737.comhttp://www.b737.comhttp://www.b737.com

I've done this program, and highly recommend it - it's an excellent way to get an experience with the sort of training one would get when going for a type rating or an airline class. I really think it's an incredible value.

Well, let me know when you come and the first beer's on me. I'm sure Ric would be up for joining us too.

If you want to get a little taste before you drop all of the cash on a full type-rating, you could come down to Houston and do this: http://www.b737.com

I'm planning to do that program when (if) I get enough money to afford it and the car/hotel that would be needed too...not to mention getting some time off. I think I "talked "Tony into going with me, whenever I get around to it.

I'm planning to do that program when (if) I get enough money to afford it and the car/hotel that would be needed too...not to mention getting some time off. I think I "talked "Tony into going with me, whenever I get around to it.

huh? 475s not a bad price for that, dont know when i will have 475 just laying around but it'd be cool. maybe ill just come to houston for the beer with PJ. you can do the studying and flying and report back immediately :)

Well, let me know when you come and the first beer's on me. I'm sure Ric would be up for joining us too.
Will do. Maybe you could introduce me to your cheerleader friends :yes::D

I'll cover you in exchange for a ride in the 1900 :)

-Felix

Will do. Maybe you could introduce me to your cheerleader friends :yes::D

I'll cover you in exchange for a ride in the 1900 :)

-Felix

I've got 8 buddy passes (16 on 1 Jan), you're welcome any time. We'll plug you into cockpit audio and hopefully...just hopefully...we'll have an empty leg :).

I've got 8 buddy passes (16 on 1 Jan), you're welcome any time. We'll plug you into cockpit audio and hopefully...just hopefully...we'll have an empty leg :).

on any united flight?

Well, if you get the Continental run, you'll definitely have to let me know any time you're laying over here in H-town. I know Colgan flies Saabs out of Houston too. Aren't the Q's just out of EWR?

Well, if you get the Continental run, you'll definitely have to let me know any time you're laying over here in H-town. I know Colgan flies Saabs out of Houston too. Aren't the Q's just out of EWR?

They just (last week) announced that Norfolk, Baltimore, and Pit would also be crew (Q) bases. I havn't seen yet what the routes are going to be for the Q, but I think they're hoping to expand westward if the East coast flying goes well. We'll have to get the things online first, though.

We do have a handful of Saabs in HOU, but that fleet is isolated from the east coast fleet, so I'd actually have to get based down there if I happen to go to the Saab.

Matt, you could (with time) get accustomed to not paying a state income tax.

Matt, you could (with time) get accustomed to not paying a state income tax.

I'm sure I could if I didn't have to! Unfortunately, we have to pay in whatever state we're based in. In was nice in New Hampshire, not so much so now that I'm in Maine.

I'm sure I could if I didn't have to! Unfortunately, we have to pay in whatever state we're based in. In was nice in New Hampshire, not so much so now that I'm in Maine.

I think he was referring to the fact that Texas does not have a state income tax.

I think he was referring to the fact that Texas does not have a state income tax.

Indeed, I was.

I believe Maine even has a Turd Tax, levied based upon the size and frequency of your evacuations...
:D

I just don't have a come-back for that, Spike. At least not one that's appropriate for a public forum! Ya, I got nothin'.

Well, Matt, if a state presumes to charge aircraft owners a sales and use tax by virtue of having merely visited the state, you can only conclude that there is no practical limit to what they will do to collect revenue. Which is my (inartfully-expressed) point.

Spike, once again, you have succeeded in making me spit my coffee out. I really should learn not to take a drink while reading your posts.

Back