737 Blown into fuel truck

Now both the plane and the fuel truck are United!

Ehh. It'll buff right out.

Where does United fly the ETOPS 737s anyway?

So they can cram as many people into the smallest tube for as long as possible, it seems to be United's new mantra. I just flew Denver to Atlanta crushed into an RJ on United, and when I last flew United TransPac Aus to LA in the back of a 747 they had the seats so close together my knees were pressed into the back of the seat in front of me. Wouldn't surprise me if they were running 737s on Translant routes.:mad2: Although looking at the pics, isn't that a 757?

Where does United fly the ETOPS 737s anyway?

UA1004 LAX to ITO (Hilo, HI) lists 737-800 for the aircraft type. So does UA1671 LAX to OGG (Maui, HI).

UA1004 LAX to ITO (Hilo, HI) lists 737-800 for the aircraft type. So does UA1671 LAX to OGG (Maui, HI).

Uggg, and with United's no leg room policy, that would be miserable. I'd find a better airline for that, heck, I'd rather tanker the 310.

It sure has chocks now!
Ironically, the original chocks are still laying where the nose gear used to be parked. The winds pushed on the tail and rotated the airplane sideways, so the chokes at the nosewheel turned out to be insufficient.

Ironically, the original chocks are still laying where the nose gear used to be parked. The winds pushed on the tail and rotated the airplane sideways, so the chokes at the nosewheel turned out to be insufficient.

Yep. The Navion has a similar issue. There's so much sail area on the tail that a good cross wind with weathervane the aircraft. While most chocks you find at airports are good enough to keep it from rolling, they won't (even on the mains) stop it from weathervaning (found that the hard way). The big squishy tires roll right over them. You gotta use the big rubber jet chocks.

Had a similar event here in JAC about 12 years ago..

Clear night,, dead calm and not a cloud in sight and out of the blue, a 75 mph gust front blows through.. Lasted maybe 2 minutes, then dead calm again... Weird for sure...

There were a couple of 737's and a Brazialla on the commercial ramp in front of the terminal... It blew the Brazilla into the sage brush. One of the 737's jumped the chocks that were on the front tires ONLY, turned it 90 degrees... The cleaning crew was so spooked they literally ran out of the planes open cabin door,,, only to find out the stair truck was 50 feet away... The fall really didn't hurt them..:nonod:,,, The sudden stop hitting the concrete ramp broke a few bones though.:yes::eek:...

The fix was to chock ALL three tires, not just the nose... If the mains cannot rotate then the nose stays still...

Been working perfect ever since...;)

Last edited:
Had a similar event here in JAC about 12 years ago..

Clear night,, dead calm and not a cloud in sight and out of the blue, a 75 mph gust front blows through.. Lasted maybe 2 minutes, then dead calm again... Weird for sure...

There were a couple of 737's and a Brazialla on the commercial ramp in front of the terminal... It blew the Brazilla into the sage brush. One of the 737's jumped the chocks that were on the front tires ONLY, turned it 90 degrees... The cleaning clew was so spooked they literally ran out of the planes open cabin door,,, only to find out the stair truck was 50 feet away... The fall really didn't hurt them..:nonod:,,, The sudden stop hitting the concrete ramp broke a few bones though.:yes::eek:...

The fix was to chock ALL three tires, not just the nose... If the mains cannot rotate then the nose stays still...

Been working perfect ever since...;)

Had an unscheduled stop into Billings, Montana one late afternoon en-route to Yellowstone.

Didn't like the buildup ahead. Just got the Mooney tied down when the gust front hit.

It spun a Caravan up off the chocks and across the ramp, straight towards some large jet parked on the far end.

I've never seen line-boys move so fast. Between the golf cart chasing it and several guys hanging off the struts and/or gear legs trying to drag it to a stop, the wind let down not too far before some serious check writing would have been necessary.

Back