737-500 missing out of Jakarta

If the ADS-B data is accurate, something really hinky was going on.

INDONESIA-CRASH-PONTIANAK.jpg

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...er-take-off-with-62-aboard-idUSKBN29E0EW?il=0

Well the BBC found a way to talk about the MAX https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55601909 somehow comparing a 26 year old pane to the MAX is relevant to the reporting. The below is a quote directly from the article, I just took out the picture.

"
According to registration details, the plane is a 26-year-old Boeing 737-500.
It was in good condition, Sriwijaya Air chief executive Jefferson Irwin Jauwena told reporters. Take-off had been delayed for 30 minutes due to heavy rain, he said.
Sriwijaya Air, founded in 2003, is a local budget airline which flies to Indonesian and other South-East Asian destinations.
The plane went missing about 20km (12 miles) north of the capital Jakarta, not far from where another flight crashed in October 2018.
A total of 189 died when an Indonesian Lion Air flight plunged into the sea about 12 minutes after take-off from the city.
That disaster was blamed on a series of failures in the plane's design, but also faults by the airline and the pilots.
It was one of two crashes that led regulators to pull the Boeing 737 Max from service. The model resumed passenger flights in December after a systems overhaul.
"

Last edited:
I didn’t read the whole article, but I don’t have any issue with the excerpt. Both facts appear to be true, it seem appropriately characterized. Not standing up for journalist, their reporting on pretty much all subjects tend to be pretty biased and incorrect.

I did think it was possibly relevant that heavy rain had passed through. I would wonder about water getting into something critical like static ports, causing confusion. Not sure if the 737 is susceptible to that.

I didn’t read the whole article, but I don’t have any issue with the excerpt. Both facts appear to be true, it seem appropriately characterized. Not standing up for journalist, their reporting on pretty much all subjects tend to be pretty biased and incorrect.

My take was the article implied the "Max" crashes caused the whole 737 fleet to be grounded. It certainly wasn't clearly stated that only one model of the 737 was impacted.

My take was the article implied the "Max" crashes caused the whole 737 fleet to be grounded. It certainly wasn't clearly stated that only one model of the 737 was impacted.

While the article is not incorrect, it is written in a way that can mislead a non-aviation reader into thinking that this is yet another MAX crash, especially since they say at the end that MAX service resumed in December.

Given the publicity around the MAX problems, it would be particularly important for the writer to make it clear that this was not a MAX aircraft. Instead this writer has muddied the distinction.

Hey, I can write like that too! "The driver of a 2018 Ford Explorer lost control of the vehicle Saturday on Highway 27, and struck two trees, a fencepost and a fire hydrant. The driver was arrested for suspected DUI. In 1978 a recall was issued for 1.5 million Ford Pintos because of defective design that caused numerous injuries and fatalities, and resulted in a jury verdict of $2.5 million in compensatory damages and $3.5 million in punitive damages against Ford Motor Company, after the jury found the company had acted in conscious disregard of safety."

How'd I do? Can I get a J-school degree now?

Hey, I can write like that too! "The driver of a 2018 Ford Explorer lost control of the vehicle Saturday on Highway 27, and struck two trees, a fencepost and a fire hydrant. The driver was arrested for suspected DUI. In 1978 a recall was issued for 1.5 million Ford Pintos because of defective design that caused numerous injuries and fatalities, and resulted in a jury verdict of $2.5 million in compensatory damages and $3.5 million in punitive damages against Ford Motor Company, after the jury found the company had acted in conscious disregard of safety."

If you're starting with the Explorer, the correct context would be all the rollover accidents, and then bring Firestone Tire into the mix.

If you're starting with the Explorer, the correct context would be all the rollover accidents, and then bring Firestone Tire into the mix.

Well you could also dovetail in the white Ford Bronco that didn't roll over after an extended low speed chase seen on national TV ... :p

65 passengers and crew possibly died in a new unexplained accident and you guys decide to clown around about journalists. I don’t visit POA very much anymore and I keep being reminded why.

65 passengers and crew possibly died in a new unexplained accident and you guys decide to clown around about journalists. I don’t visit POA very much anymore and I keep being reminded why.

This.

RIP those on board and prayers for their survivors and hope we figure out why.

They didn’t find the memory component from the CVR, however (as of yesterday). Sound’s like ol’ SD card popped right out of the socket. Might be hard to find on the bottom of the ocean, I would think.

Not exactly. The underwater beacon is the size of a toilet paper tube and clamps onto the recorder. They found the beacon. The recorder itself is larger, no way for the memory card to pop out of it.

Not exactly. The underwater beacon is the size of a toilet paper tube and clamps onto the recorder. They found the beacon. The recorder itself is larger, no way for the memory card to pop out of it.
:rolleyes: of course it's not an SD card. Otherwise, I'm relying on Juan Brown as my source rather than this website. Juan generally seems to provide pretty good info on this stuff.

go to 0:27

Back