6Y9er Air to Air

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Since many of us will be headed north to 6Y9er around the same time on Friday lets look for eachother on 122.75

although Barb may not get reception since she will be flying below treetop level:D

This makes me sad, I won't get to talk to y'all this weekend... at least not without some really, really good antennas on the Aztec. :(

I was thinking of doing IFR, just for the practice, but if we're VFR we will monitor!

Not only that, TWO pilots, with split comms!
No split coms on N7111W. It's got a Bendix-King KMA 26 TSO.
And I've messed up once before trying to use it air-to-air while talking to Center. I wound up asking Center about a meteorite instead of asking the other plane! :blush:

No split coms on N7111W. It's got a Bendix-King KMA 26 TSO.
And I've messed up once before trying to use it air-to-air while talking to Center. I wound up asking Center about a meteorite instead of asking the other plane! :blush:
Have you answered a call from center by talking on the air-to-air freq?? I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT ON A 6Y9 RUN ;)

Actually, monitoring the pilot to pilot frequency on the number 2 comm is an excellent idea. Could assist in situational awareness as you approach the airport.

Only when you see that F-16 off your right wingtip....
Nope, but that's certainly when it's most important!

!FDC 4/4386 FDC SPECIAL NOTICE...
NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM INTERCEPT PROCEDURES. AVIATORS SHALL
REVIEW THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION
MANUAL (AIM) FOR INTERCEPTION PROCEDURES, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6,
PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL
AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD
121.5 OR UHF 243.0
IF AN AIRCRAFT IS INTERCEPTED BY U.S. MILITARY
AIRCRAFT AND FLARES ARE DISPENSED, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE TO
BE FOLLOWED: FOLLOW THE INTERCEPT'S VISUAL SIGNALS, CONTACT AIR
TRAFFIC CONTROL IMMEDIATELY ON THE LOCAL FREQUENCY OR ON VHF GUARD
121.5 OR UHF GUARD 243.0, AND COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY
THE INTERCEPTING AIRCRAFT INCLUDING VISUAL SIGNALS IF UNABLE RADIO
CONTACT. BE ADVISED THAT NONCOMPLIANCE MAY RESULT IN THE USE OF
FORCE.

If capable = "Sorry, I don't have 3 COM radios in the plane."

If I am on frequency with center or approach, 121.5 remains silent. Plus for some weird reason sometimes when I try and transmit on the 430 and I have the second COM active, I get this bizarro feedback. Plus, it's AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE. 121.5 is on the bottom of my list of priorities.

I'm not capable when I have other frequencies tuned in. Sorry Nanny state.

I'm not capable when I have other frequencies tuned in. Sorry Nanny state.

It appears that I'm just not "capable" of remembering to put 121.5 on my second comm most of the time. I'm pretty sure that I'd remember this if a F-16 showed up on my wing.

Nope, but that's certainly when it's most important!

!FDC 4/4386 FDC SPECIAL NOTICE...
NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM INTERCEPT PROCEDURES. AVIATORS SHALL
REVIEW THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION
MANUAL (AIM) FOR INTERCEPTION PROCEDURES, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6,
PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL
AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD
121.5 OR UHF 243.0. IF AN AIRCRAFT IS INTERCEPTED BY U.S. MILITARY
AIRCRAFT AND FLARES ARE DISPENSED, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE TO
BE FOLLOWED: FOLLOW THE INTERCEPT'S VISUAL SIGNALS, CONTACT AIR
TRAFFIC CONTROL IMMEDIATELY ON THE LOCAL FREQUENCY OR ON VHF GUARD
121.5 OR UHF GUARD 243.0, AND COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY
THE INTERCEPTING AIRCRAFT INCLUDING VISUAL SIGNALS IF UNABLE RADIO
CONTACT. BE ADVISED THAT NONCOMPLIANCE MAY RESULT IN THE USE OF
FORCE.
If flares are dispensed, doesn't that mean there is a wreck ahead. Watch out, it may be yours.

....looking to arrive around Noon tomorrow.....

Anyone know what the updated runway length is? Airnav and FSS both still say 2000.....I have two aboard this time....

Last edited:
Split COM makes it easy. And yes, thought police, I monitor 121.5 most of the time.

Since I'm generally single pilot, we don't end up doing that much (in fact, I didn't even know about that split COM feature on my Garmin 340 until a month ago), but that would definitely help if we used it. Thing is, when I have multiple pilots we generally both want to talk on the air-to-air. :)

Well, on the flight from OSH to 6Y9 we were a flight of two, so there was no way I was gong to be able to monitor 121.5, converse with the other party to the flight, and handle comms with ATC simultaneously! Guess which lost out! :)

Well, on the flight from OSH to 6Y9 we were a flight of two, so there was no way I was gong to be able to monitor 121.5, converse with the other party to the flight, and handle comms with ATC simultaneously! Guess which lost out! :)

On Friday my friend and I did a flight of two with the Aztec and Travel Air from our cheap fuel stop over to PDK. So, we couldn't monitor 121.5 during that.

Back