6Y9 Snowed In

sourdough44

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
WI Flyer
Sorry I don't gave any pictures. I was just up a bit East of 6Y9, it was very cold with about 20" of snow. It may as well be January. I don't think the snowmobile trails are officially open until the end of deer season, but they could be.

With the way deer season and numbers have been, the snowmobile season is a much larger boost to the local economy.

Sorry I don't gave any pictures. I was just up a bit East of 6Y9, it was very cold with about 20" of snow. It may as well be January. I don't think the snowmobile trails are officially open until the end of deer season, but they could be.

With the way deer season and numbers have been, the snowmobile season is a much larger boost to the local economy.

My brother and the rest of the deer hunting gang are up this week. Big pain to get off the road a half mile back to our uncle's cabin. Can't imagine the deer will move much.
Just bought a 72" snow blower for the back of the tractor up there, looks like we're going to need it this year.

A six foot blower! Gonna open 6Y9 for a New Years fly-in?

Snow_blower_120111-1589.jpg

http://youtu.be/KCqEBdjaXpM?t=30

A six foot blower! Gonna open 6Y9 for a New Years fly-in?

Suppose I could, you coming out, nah, ducks fly south for the winter:)
Really just getting it so we can get into the cabin, just got word that someone in town measured 40" on the level.

Suppose I could, you coming out, nah, ducks fly south for the winter:)
Really just getting it so we can get into the cabin, just got word that someone in town measured 40" on the level.

No way in Hell I'm going to da U.P. fer New Years...

I haven't heard any more on the snowmobiling trip yet but I'll let you know when I do!

I usually try to get up snowmobiling once in the Winter, as able. There is plenty of snow, but the trails usually don't officially open until after deer season. Some land owners don't want machines wizzing by the deer stand.

While I was up there a relative was plowing to get setup for logging between Herman and Nestoria. This was the 14th, he was using a grader in the 35" or so of snow. He came upon a few hapless deer hunters trying to get to their camps, totally outgunned by the snow. He ended up plowing one or two roads to camps.

The other issue is, with all the snow he didn't see one deer track from Herman to Nestoria, as much as he was looking anyway.

I hunted in a fresh logging operation 1.5 miles from the lake. I saw about 12 deer but no horns. The main deer hunt is in IL later this week, hopefully more action there.

I haven't heard any more on the snowmobiling trip yet but I'll let you know when I do!

Joe is right, trails open after gun season is done.
Even with all this snow there is no base yet which means your sled is down on the ground and the snow is up to the upper part of your windshield.
Really good sledding never starts to be really good till Jan.1st even up there.

I usually try to get up snowmobiling once in the Winter, as able. There is plenty of snow, but the trails usually don't officially open until after deer season. Some land owners don't want machines wizzing by the deer stand.

While I was up there a relative was plowing to get setup for logging between Herman and Nestoria. This was the 14th, he was using a grader in the 35" or so of snow. He came upon a few hapless deer hunters trying to get to their camps, totally outgunned by the snow. He ended up plowing one or two roads to camps.

The other issue is, with all the snow he didn't see one deer track from Herman to Nestoria, as much as he was looking anyway.

I hunted in a fresh logging operation 1.5 miles from the lake. I saw about 12 deer but no horns. The main deer hunt is in IL later this week, hopefully more action there.
I know some guys that came back early and some that didn't even go.
I hear Ill. is where there are some really big bucks are. Lotta people dissa pointed with Mi. hunting are going elsewhere.

probably a lot like N. MO and IA...corn fed deer get big!

Bingo. Not many other places (SE Iowa) that you can kill a doe that dresses out around 200#. We ate good that winter.

This little guy was taken at our place this morning. 215 pounds. Scored 155 or so.

Last edited:
Muttley, That is nice indeed. I'm just back from the IL hunt. I saw a fair amount of deer, but only took one adult doe and a coyote. They try QDM rules, though the neighbors don't abide much.

One of our guys shot a nice 10 point, another a smaller buck. I did bring home a 10 point rack. Someone else wounded it during the bow season. The critters ate most of it. The local DNR provided a 'salvage' tag, so all is legal.

I may go down again, most likely for the muzzle-loader season.

Back