6Y9 on the 4th of July

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
Hey
Anybody want to stop by 6Y9 over the 4th we'll be up there.
The field will be mowed,bring your tents,and bug spray.Great Fireworks just down the road.
Ed will be there in my plane(how did he con me into that)?:confused: Somebody find him something cheap and fast-----soon!
Tom and Hoover will be there in the RV-8

Brad

Hmmmmmmm.......

Standby for confirmation....

I'd love to Brad--but I don't have the budget for it. I'm going to try and make it up there for Labor day though.

Kate - fuel still in the sub $5 range at Clintonville? Looks like a fuel stop on the way up - or back.

I have to work early AM on the 4th as well as early AM on the 5th or we would definitely be there! I was looking at EAA and FlyinCalendar and IAwings for places to fly in the evening on the 4th or 5th, but no luck. :(

We'll definitely (Lord willing and the creeks don't rise) see you Labor Day, though!

Thinking about it... This weekend will be the first real chance I've had for a nice x-country since purchasing the Super Yankee™ And, I don't think I'll be able to make it up for Labor day.

I will be walking along a float in the morning. I organized a neighborhood entry into the local July 4 parade. But now I will be joining the mayor and council alongside the city float (they made me a councilman last week). My wife will coordinate the 40 people on our neighborhood float. She was thrilled (not) when I informed her that she was my stand-in.:blueplane:

Kate - fuel still in the sub $5 range at Clintonville? Looks like a fuel stop on the way up - or back.

Ed, it was updated on AirNav yesterday at $4.58. I haven't paid attention but I would bet that's correct. Rumor is always that CLI is one of the cheapest fuel stops around. And it is a steal considering fuel just went up to $6.25 at Brennand Airport where I instruct.

:hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

Edit: Some of the cheapest fuel in the state is at Adams-Friendship (63C) which AirNav has listed at $4.40/gal. Boy now I need to find a way to fly to these outlying airports on every single lesson!

What's the current useable length of the runway for takeoff?

EDIT: Just got a call from Ed answering this question. 2600 useable and there are yellow cones marking the runway.

The weather forecast looks absolutely awesome - totally unbeatable!

Unless something weird happens, I will be there in an ERCOUPE! Not my school's Ercoupe which still has no wings, but my student's.

Last edited:
Well I didn't end up taking the Ercoupe after all, but I did fly the 172 to Sidnaw and had a fun time fishing today. (I watched Brad and Tom haul in a 3-foot-long northern pike and a 10-pound bass.... right guys?) ;)

I did get checked out in the Ercoupe, but discovered a squawk, a potential squawk, and a couple minor annoyances too. Besides, even solo, I decided I was not sure this thing could make it in and out of 6Y9 (whether due to its inherent poor performance, or its pilot--me--not being skilled at getting max performance yet). There was also a whole lotta wilderness between me and where I wanted to go. There were several strikes against me and this flight I eagerly wanted to make. So I sacrificed the coolness factor for safety and common sense, and took my very trusty steed N2881Q, the 172 instead. I'm glad I did that.

Due to my get-there-itis it took a while for this wave of common sense to hit me, and I wasted time with a false start in the Ercoupe. So I didn't have enough time to make it to 6Y9 before dark Friday and missed the fireworks there :(. I did, however, have time to plan out a shorter flight to Crandon, WI and get there before dark. I camped there overnight Friday (got to watch their fireworks) and made the rest of my trip today. I'm back home safe & sound now and will post more on my blog tomorrow.

Thank you to the Fredericks for your hospitality! I had fun!

Well I didn't end up taking the Ercoupe after all, but I did fly the 172 to Sidnaw and had a fun time fishing today. (I watched Brad and Tom haul in a 3-foot-long northern pike and a 10-pound bass.... right guys?) ;)

I did get checked out in the Ercoupe, but discovered a squawk, a potential squawk, and a couple minor annoyances too. Besides, even solo, I decided I was not sure this thing could make it in and out of 6Y9 (whether due to its inherent poor performance, or its pilot--me--not being skilled at getting max performance yet). There was also a whole lotta wilderness between me and where I wanted to go. There were several strikes against me and this flight I eagerly wanted to make. So I sacrificed the coolness factor for safety and common sense, and took my very trusty steed N2881Q, the 172 instead. I'm glad I did that.

Due to my get-there-itis it took a while for this wave of common sense to hit me, and I wasted time with a false start in the Ercoupe. So I didn't have enough time to make it to 6Y9 before dark Friday and missed the fireworks there :(. I did, however, have time to plan out a shorter flight to Crandon, WI and get there before dark. I camped there overnight Friday (got to watch their fireworks) and made the rest of my trip today. I'm back home safe & sound now and will post more on my blog tomorrow.

Sounds like you made the good (i.e. SAFE) decision! Wish we could have been with you guys! Who all made it up?

Awesome, Kate! I'm glad you were able to make it up there. If I hadn't had to work Fri & Sat AM and Rachel worked all day Saturday, we would have made the trip up.

Did you get your Labor Day camping spot staked out? ;) How's the runway looking compared to last year?

Awesome, Kate! I'm glad you were able to make it up there. If I hadn't had to work Fri & Sat AM and Rachel worked all day Saturday, we would have made the trip up.

Did you get your Labor Day camping spot staked out? ;) How's the runway looking compared to last year?

Looks longer. Looks more like a fairway than a landing strip. The new grass is growing in on the east 600' (New 600'!) and within the next 2 months should be fully grown in and 100% usable. I used it for take off this morning when I left and it is a bit spongebobish, but when the roots take hold, we'll have an 866yd fairway.

What Ed said. Brad gave me a tour of the newest section of runway on the east end. I didn't use it, but I greatly appreciated the extra clearing on approach.

Darn it, I should have put caution tape around my desired camping spot for Labor Day yes. Hehe! I guess I will just have to race everyone to get there first!

Well
Diz I drove up with more junk. (I need a Cessna Caravan)
Tom and Hoover,Kate and Ed made it up.
The new actual length is 2575',I measured it with a tape and put temp. orange cones out for now on the new grass area.I squesed the 28 end cones together so the new is easier to use.
When everybody left Sunday I jumped on the dozer and widened out the northeast side. Nice and wide for the 28 approach now. No more threading the needle.
The guy who is doing helicopter rides stopped by ,so all is set on that.
See everybody Aug.29th or 30th at the new and improved 6Y9.:yes:

Back