6Y9 Now open 2015

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
I was up at 6Y9 this weekend, mowed it ,set the runway cones,walked the runway. All is well and the runway is surprisingly dry for this time of year.
Pretty solid and no standing water. Chased off some Canada Geese, so a low pass before landing is probably wise.
The 10th 6Y9 Fly In is already being planned and is Sept.5,6,7 this year,hopefully better weather than last year:yes:

Hello all, I have a trip of sorts planned next week, details are still sketchy. The plan is to fly up if the weather is cooperative, 6Y9 would be great, OGM as backup.

I'm planning to go with the older Son. If the weather is nasty we'll just do the 6 hour drive.

Hello all, I have a trip of sorts planned next week, details are still sketchy. The plan is to fly up if the weather is cooperative, 6Y9 would be great, OGM as backup.

I'm planning to go with the older Son. If the weather is nasty we'll just do the 6 hour drive.

I also will be up there by air or by land if the wx gods do not look down on us pleasantly.

Great, right now I've penciled in Tuesday. It may drift either way a bit due to weather.

Just noticed a hard to get dental appointment for the Son on Wed afternoon. Since this is a high priority trip, the plan is Monday, or even Sunday eve if the storms move through. That 30+ Knot tailwind Sunday eve would be wonderful.

Last edited:
My trip report. We had a tailwind both ways.:)

Up Sunday eve, back this eve, Tuesday. We didn't even stop in Clintonville on the way back to fuel up. The facilities at 6Y9 looked wonderful. The weather was nasty earlier today, but as forecast cleared right up late afternoon.

It was the usual flurry of activities, visiting, camp chores, firearms checkouts and so forth. Every day ended with a good tick check, out in full force until it cooled off.

@The Flied Piper: This sounds great. :thumbsup:

@WI Flyer: Thank you for the report.

I am already looking forward to my first trip to 6Y9. :yes:

Last edited:
I really need to get up there this year, even if it's just a quick restroom break.

Correct. 1D2.

Let me know, if one of you comes to our area. :)

Just got back from 6Y9.
Met with the State Airport inspector.
Passed inspection with some good comments, all is good.
It was mowed May 22nd but will need it soon with the recent rain and warm weather.
New door lock on the pilot shack, the old State supplied mechanical lock was a pain for most everybody. Most out of Stater's did not know the standard Mi. code of 5- 2and 3, then 1 turn the wing knob clockwise standing on one foot ,hanging tongue out of left side of mouth while swatting mosquitoes and black flies.

NEW CODE is: "Squawk VFR" press door handle down and enter.
So simple---- even a buckeye can do it:yes:( ok I'll be nice, a wolverine or spartan too)
If you forget ,we put a reminder card in the window and if you push the top button it even has a lighted keypad for you late Wi. arrivals (Kent/ Pete)

Heh. "Squawk VFR" = "speak friend and enter". I like it. It's popular out here too - though I have to admit I've had reservations about security since the info is available to non-pilots as well. But that's here, which is not *that* far off the beaten track. Hope it works out for you, Brad.

Heh. "Squawk VFR" = "speak friend and enter". I like it. It's popular out here too - though I have to admit I've had reservations about security since the info is available to non-pilots as well. But that's here, which is not *that* far off the beaten track. Hope it works out for you, Brad.

A couple of airports have it here also.
Not much in the building, just trying to keep the bikes from coming up missing.
Most non pilots don't know what "squawk VFR" is. The ones who really want to get in will either kick the door in or throw a rock through the window.
Suppose this day and age of a smart phone you can find out anything ,even the old Mi. mechanical lock code:dunno:

We put one of those in where I used to fly out of. The sign said "CTAF for entry." Worked well.

We put one of those in where I used to fly out of. The sign said "CTAF for entry." Worked well.

I have that programmed in as well,room for 18 more entry codes.

18?

In that case, the codes should be:

Life
Is
A
Penis
When
Its
Soft
You
Cant
Beat
It
When
Its
Hard
You
Get
F*****

That's 18!

Then the hint on the door can be:

Go to Hoppy's. Order a beer. Stare at the ceiling. Ponder life. Then come back and gain entry.

:goofy:

18?

In that case, the codes should be:

Life
Is
A
Penis
When
Its
Soft
You
Cant
Beat
It
When
Its
Hard
You
Get
F*****

That's 18!

Then the hint on the door can be:

:goofy:

Meh----- for now I'll stick with the two we have:)

Back