6Y9 Just a thought

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
This is just a thought and would like input.
For 2010:
Would anyone be interested in changing 6Y9 er Fly-In to July 4th weekend.
Pro's:
Already established
Long day's 4;30 am to 11:00 pm est.
Potentially better weather ( we have been blessed the last 3 yrs,----but!)
Does not interfere with kids going to school
Lakes for swimming close by(warm water)
4th Fireworks in Covington (township that made 6Y9 happen)beer, food music.
greener grass
Open's up early fall for another flyin farther south(cooler)

Con's:
Already established (Labor Day Tradition)(hard to change??)
Maybe a few more bugs
Hotter weather,but not bad
Too close to Air Venture????

The same:
Hoppys
Major holiday
hayride
camping on field
community support

This is just a thought and would like input.
For 2010:
Would anyone be interested in changing 6Y9 er Fly-In to July 4th weekend.
Pro's:
Already established
Long day's 4;30 am to 11:00 pm est.
Potentially better weather ( we have been blessed the last 3 yrs,----but!)
Does not interfere with kids going to school
Lakes for swimming close by(warm water)
4th Fireworks in Covington (township that made 6Y9 happen)beer, food music.
greener grass
Open's up early fall for another flyin farther south(cooler)

Con's:
Already established (Labor Day Tradition)(hard to change??)
Maybe a few more bugs
Hotter weather,but not bad
Too close to Air Venture????

The same:
Hoppys
Major holiday
hayride
camping on field
community support

Additional con: 4th of July is not always a weekend.

I like it on Labor Day, it is a good way to end the year. Lots of people are traveling elsewhere on 4th of July and may not be able to attend.

Seeing as we brave the Arkansas heat and humidity in mid June for Gaston's, the heat I don't think would be an issue for 6Y9 on the 4th of July.

I like the idea, but in the spirit of keeping things spaced out would also like to see Gaston's moved to earlier in the year (or later). Sometime when the weather is a bit more hospitable. I do also like having a fly-in during Labor Day weekend.

Maybe we could all agree on a general rearrangement of fly-in dates to make for something that'd get more hospitable weather while still giving good spacing between events and not eliminating any fly-ins that we so enjoy.

weather is always going to be an issue. i kinda like the labor day thing. that doesnt mean that you can't have a 4th of july fly in, just means I probably won't be there.

I prefer Labor Day. It's nice to have a destination that time of year, and the WX up there usually is pretty decent then.

Weather around Labor day is more dependable than July 4.

Not in the UP. I've walked the bridge in snow one labor day and cold rain more than a few times and just cold more often than anything else. Warm >50 mild weather are not a given tat time of year.

Personally, we usually have more family stuff going on around the 4th than on Labor Day.

I like the July 4th idea! I bet it'd be plenty warm at night to camp. That would open up the fall for the possible WV fly-in that it sounds like Adam is working on. :yes:

While some people have "stuff" going on July 4th, others have "stuff" going on for Labor Day too. You'll lose a few, and gain a few.

It sounds to me like moving it to July 4th weekend would lose more people. Plus, I don't want to see "making room" for another fly-in, I'd like to see more added throughout the year. Remember how fun it was to see everyone in November at Tony's party? Having more fly-ins throughout the year is a good thing. :)

There you go have one on July 4th another on Labor day.

While your at it there is always the Canadian August Holiday too, eh.

Sorry I coiuldn't help myself:D

It sounds to me like moving it to July 4th weekend would lose more people. Plus, I don't want to see "making room" for another fly-in, I'd like to see more added throughout the year. Remember how fun it was to see everyone in November at Tony's party? Having more fly-ins throughout the year is a good thing. :)

Looks like Labor Day this year has lost us a lot of people.

I suspect any weekend will gain and loose people, its just the nature of the beast. My guess is you'll still have quite the party, and I'm missing out. My thinking is that any time you show such tremendous hospitality is good, and you should do so at your own convenience.

Quite honestly, I'd come for either day, if I could just catch a break and actually have both vacation time, money, and a plane available on the same weekend.

But I like the 4th better, personally.

IMHO has nothing to do with it being Labor day weekend. Its not because of labor day that folks can't make it just other obligations. And those with rides that have other obligations.

IMHO has nothing to do with it being Labor day weekend. Its not because of labor day that folks can't make it just other obligations. And those with rides that have other obligations.

Adam: What is the nearest commercial stop you could get into this weekend? I'd be willing to come pick you up as I will probably have the most 'efficient' plane there (based on speed/fuel - although Ed is pushing that recently). We're planning on being up there early Friday afternoon. Once I drop Rachel off, I could be in GRB in <1hr, Milwaukee or Minneapolis in about 1.5hr.

No pressure - just saying if you find a cheap airfare and want to try to swing it, I'll offer a ride for the last leg.

Heck.. DakotaDriver is coming from Colorado and has been offering rides - he could probably either pick-up inbound or drop-off outbound.

Chris I'm working on it. Rates have gotten pretty high but MKE may work I'll let ya know. I'm still trying for GRR though

If you can make Milwaukee or Madison by friday, Kent and I ought to have room in the 182 for 'ya

MKE is a possiblity and I've emailed signature there to find out their prices. I have heard that they charge outrageous fees that negate any decent fare you can get. I'll keep you guys posted.

MKE is a possiblity and I've emailed signature there to find out their prices. I have heard that they charge outrageous fees that negate any decent fare you can get. I'll keep you guys posted.
A commercial flight into MKE and a taxi to KUES can be a lot cheaper than Signature fees. I'm just saying.

Chicago would be another option. I don't think W&B will work for all three of us with full fuel, even in the 182, but we could pick you up via car at ORD or MDW and one of us could fly you up to MSN or something and then head back for the other. And we might even find that it hasn't been topped off, in which case we could be good to go all in one shot.

Chris I'm working on it. Rates have gotten pretty high but MKE may work I'll let ya know. I'm still trying for GRR though

Adam -
If you can get to Flint (FNT), Detroit Metro (DTW), or even Lansing (LAN)
AND
you're small and light, I could get you there in the Sooper Yankee.

Looks like Labor Day this year has lost us a lot of people.

On the other hand 4th of July weather this year was cool and wet.
So go figure, it was good we didn't change it, at least this year.

Ok Brad, tell Diz she can smile again! I'll be there I found a way to get to MKE and Ed's picking me up on the way. It took some doing but I got it done. So tighten up yer panty hose Mr. 24 Cause Zucker's on his way:cornut:. And that entitles me to the big glass at hoppys :cheerswine:

Alright Adam!!!
You Lawyers must be silver tougued devils to pull off all that:yes::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.
See Ya there ,I'm leaving this morning.

Awesome! Adam, I'm glad you're going to be able to make it!

Looks like I've got 24+ animals on this trip, so my time's not being wasted.

Ok Brad, tell Diz she can smile again! I'll be there I found a way to get to MKE and Ed's picking me up on the way. It took some doing but I got it done. So tighten up yer panty hose Mr. 24 Cause Zucker's on his way:cornut:. And that entitles me to the big glass at hoppys :cheerswine:

Awesome!! I'm gonna need help to put away Tony AND Ted's share of the Crown!

Awesome!! I'm gonna need help to put away Tony AND Ted's share of the Crown!

Ahem! Some of us were drinkin' Crown before you pups even knew what a barstool was. Of course we know better now...so...nevermind. You're on your own with the booze.:D

On another topic, it looks like I get a late start on Friday which means an overnight stop somewhere along the way. Any good suggestions for a stop somewhere in northwest Iowa or southern Minnesota?

Oh - forgot. Dunno - it was supposed to be closed for August.
Still seems to be down. Just got this from DUATS:
Iowa City IA [IOW]: August NOTAM #1
Runway 25 precision approach path indicator out of service effective from August 03rd, 2009 at 04:00 PM CDT (0908032100) - September 08th, 2009 at 11:00 AM CDT (0909081600)
Iowa City IA [IOW]: July NOTAM #13
Runway 7/25 closed effective from August 03rd, 2009 at 06:00 AM CDT (0908031100)
Iowa City IA [IOW]: June NOTAM #3
Runway 12/30 closed effective from June 08th, 2009 at 07:00 AM CDT (0906081200)
Iowa City IA [IOW]:
June NOTAM #10
Runway 7/25 intersection with runway 12/30 personel and equipment working VCNTY effective from June 24th, 2009 at 07:00 AM CDT (0906241200)
Iowa City IA [IOW]: August NOTAM #2
Runway 7 precision approach path indicator out of service effective from August 03rd, 2009 at 04:00 PM CDT (0908032100) - September 08th, 2009 at 11:00 AM CDT (0909081600)

A commercial flight into MKE and a taxi to KUES can be a lot cheaper than Signature fees. I'm just saying.

The last time I went in there it was 46 bucks, and the service sucked. I won't be back. :no:

Any good suggestions for a stop somewhere in northwest Iowa or southern Minnesota?
Just noticed this one...

Clark, you can always stop at KFRM, and I'll service your plane. Yes, I'm working the line at the airport to bring in some cash. :D (Well, it started out as apprentice mechanic to work towards an A&P ticket...)

Wish I could make it to 6Y9, but there's just no way I can afford it.

Last edited:
Just noticed this one...

Clark, you can always stop at KFRM, and I'll service your plane. Yes, I'm working the line at the airport to bring in some cash. :D (Well, it started out as apprentice mechanic to work towards an A&P ticket...)

We'll miss you and Paul. Leslie decided not to bring the telescope this year. At least your extra(?) job is aviation related!

Just noticed this one...

I'm headed for the airport now. I'm going to try POH for cheap gas but I may stop by FRM, thanks.

Back