6y9 Fly In 2019

School renovation.

Maybe you should come back and check it out. ;)

Ahh. Cool. Last time I was there, the school renovation had made it to a shower that, if you stood just right, might get you arrested for indecent exposure. :D

We would love to make it back up there. Our family has somehow stumbled into an annual tradition of "Labor Day at the lake", so it will be difficult for us to get up there until my sister drops the ball and breaks the tradition for us. :)

One year we were there, we woke up to a light frost on the tail of the plane. The next year, it was so warm, we were wishing we had brought the battery powered fan for the tent. Just never can tell up there...

But where is this 'inside' that you speak of? The only 'inside' the last time I was there was the FBO building or the two small cabins that had questionable availability.
I slept inside the little schoolhouse on the second floor. It was quiet and warm, and I slept very well indeed. I moved my cot, Thermarest mattress, and sleeping bag in, and struck the tent and its accessories. That way I didn't have to put a wet tent away inside my aircraft.

This was the first year since 2009 I've had both the availability and the weather to make it up there. I hope I don't have to wait another ten years.

I slept inside the little schoolhouse on the second floor. It was quiet and warm, and I slept very well indeed. I moved my cot, Thermarest mattress, and sleeping bag in, and struck the tent and its accessories. That way I didn't have to put a wet tent away inside my aircraft.

This was the first year since 2009 I've had both the availability and the weather to make it up there. I hope I don't have to wait another ten years.

But, you did make it on a motorcycle once between then and now. However 10 year gaps are not the way to go.

But, you did make it on a motorcycle once between then and now. However 10 year gaps are not the way to go.
I did indeed. I do hope to get up there again in the Mooney some day. The Goldwing is long gone.

I did indeed. I do hope to get up there again in the Mooney some day. The Goldwing is long gone.
What, you don't want to ride the sport bike all the up there?!?!?! :eek:

You got off the runway really good in the Mooney. Was off about 300' earlier than I anticipated.

The night time temperatures plunged into the 30's despite forecasts of 20 degrees warmer. One needs some pretty heaving duty gear to camp in it. Otherwise, one should move indoors, as I did.
I was fine with a summer tent, 40 degree sleeping bag draped over me, and a couple layers on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What, you don't want to ride the sport bike all the up there?!?!?! :eek:

You got off the runway really good in the Mooney. Was off about 300' earlier than I anticipated.

I could probably do the trip on Il Negrini, but by bike it takes most of two days, whereas by aircraft it takes some of one. Also, the trip prices are similar, since I need meals and a hotel (or camping) on the bike both ways, whereas I need neither for the aircraft. I totaled up all the costs that it incurred on the wing, and it matched what I would have spent on avgas.

I don't know what I did wrong on that first approach, I swear I was being as careful as I could be. But I'll take whatever compliment I can get. Sure felt like the most horrible bouncy landing I ever did, but of course it was a turf strip. I promise I will land no other, except perhaps Gaston's some day.

I was fine with a summer tent, 40 degree sleeping bag draped over me, and a couple layers on.
I had my cot, camping mattress, sleeping bag, and just about every stitch of clothing I had brought on my person and I still froze so hard I didn't get one wink of sleep. When I got up in the morning to take a whiz my pee steamed. It was cold.

I had my cot, camping mattress, sleeping bag, and just about every stitch of clothing I had brought on my person and I still froze so hard I didn't get one wink of sleep. When I got up in the morning to take a whiz my pee steamed. It was cold.
Glad you made it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I could probably do the trip on Il Negrini, but by bike it takes most of two days, whereas by aircraft it takes some of one. Also, the trip prices are similar, since I need meals and a hotel (or camping) on the bike both ways, whereas I need neither for the aircraft. I totaled up all the costs that it incurred on the wing, and it matched what I would have spent on avgas.

I don't know what I did wrong on that first approach, I swear I was being as careful as I could be. But I'll take whatever compliment I can get. Sure felt like the most horrible bouncy landing I ever did, but of course it was a turf strip. I promise I will land no other, except perhaps Gaston's some day.

That first approach, to me, looked like you were still 4-5kts fast and tried to get it down before it wanted to come down. That is what I said to whoever I was standing next to at the time. You did say you were pretty light, and remember 15% under gross you need to drop your V-speeds about 7% below book numbers. 7% x 60kts ~ 4kts. But as I wasn't in the plane, I can't say for sure.

That first approach, to me, looked like you were still 4-5kts fast and tried to get it down before it wanted to come down. That is what I said to whoever I was standing next to at the time. You did say you were pretty light, and remember 15% under gross you need to drop your V-speeds about 7% below book numbers. 7% x 60kts ~ 4kts. But as I wasn't in the plane, I can't say for sure.
Hard to know. Coming over the trees I was 75 mph, my usual approach speed. Once I pointed the nose down I know I picked up some speed, but there’s little avoiding that. I think what happened was I was a bit fast when I hit that bump in the runway and got launched in the air with little directional control. That’s what someone on the ground said in slightly emphatic terms. I could tell it was wrong and hit the gas. I came down in a slip the second time, and that seemed to do the trick. I did get launched in the air again and it felt bad, but I rode it out. Only after I came to a stop did it dawn on me that the turf strip had a significant effect on how the aircraft landed. That was my first Mooney landing on turf. I’ve had the aircraft 5 years. Let that sink in.

I couldn’t tell you my speed coming down or in ground effect. I don’t look at the airspeed at all, I just watch out the aircraft and feel what’s going on.

I read an article in a local U.P. paper, L’Anse Sentinel about the fly-in. They mentioned talk about making the runway longer? Is that in the works, if so how much longer? Thanks.

Just saw the mention in the paper, may be incorrect.

Last edited:
Runway is plenty long. Heck, if I can make it in a Mooney...

You can make it in *your* Mooney. Mine is about 800 pounds heavier but has the same wing, so my airspeeds are a lot faster and it's really pretty marginal if the performance charts are to be believed. I'm planning on trying it really light sometime, and then progressively heavier, before taking my family there in the Mooney. If it gets longer, I'd be much happier about it.

You can make it in *your* Mooney. Mine is about 800 pounds heavier but has the same wing, so my airspeeds are a lot faster and it's really pretty marginal if the performance charts are to be believed. I'm planning on trying it really light sometime, and then progressively heavier, before taking my family there in the Mooney. If it gets longer, I'd be much happier about it.
What's your landing distance over an obstacle?

Someone mentioned starting a thread for the fly in.

Done.

Same place, same weekend. Same "rules." ( NO discussion of weather permitted) For other information, seek out the advice from regular attendees.

Or you can ask me. I think I have a good handle on most of what goes on. El Con also knows. Ed Fred also may have a couple of things to say. Funny how that works.:D
I almost made it this year! But alas, I did not get home from Europe until Sunday!

I read an article in a local U.P. paper, L’Anse Sentinel about the fly-in. They mentioned talk about making the runway longer? Is that in the works, if so how much longer? Thanks.

Just saw the mention in the paper, may be incorrect.

Another 300' on the west end is the goal.

Another 300' on the west end is the goal.

I thought there was a road or trail or power line or something on the west end that had y'all blocked in that direction?

Wow, a Mooney can get in and out of North Fox? Hmmm

Why not?

North Fox is 3,000 ft long, my wife was in the air after only around 1,000 ft, even though we were two adults and still had all the camping gear from the 6Y9 fly-in in the plane. The tanks were half full and it was pretty warm. By the time we were at the end of the runway, we were already going over 100 mph! :D

Particularly the M20E with the 200hp Lycoming is a very versatile aircraft. Search YouTube for "Piperpainter". He even used to explore backcountry airstrips with his 180 hp M20C.

What's your landing distance over an obstacle?

At 6Y9's elevation, grass surface, OAT 68ºF at max landing weight with no wind, 3,100 feet.

Best case, landing at 3100 pounds, standard temp, 10 knots headwind gets it down to about 2,800.

Taking off again, best case conditions 2,300 and realistic conditions about 2,650.

That's not a lot of margin for error/long grass/etc with a 2600 foot runway. Yes, the ground rolls are shorter than the 50-foot obstacle distances, but nobody told the trees to stop growing at 50 feet either.

The other key difference between my plane and yours, besides the significant weight difference, is that I have electric gear, which takes a lot longer to cycle than the manual gear. I also have the inner doors that open up, increasing drag during the gear cycle. So, the specified procedure is to leave the gear down until all obstacles are cleared... That's a bit different than @German guy's video. ;)

Yeah, your Mooney doesn't belong on that strip. Mine does, but only just barely. Seeing that video of Oliver's landing reminded me that the nose was bobbing dangerously up and down, my worries about a prop strike were far from unfounded. And you are going to be a lot dragger than me taking off, since my gear retraction is both early (has to be) and fast. But, your Mooney is a good 30 knots faster than mine, so there is that.

At 6Y9- working on adding 50-75 ft on the east of 28 for takeoff and adding Approx.300 ft for rollout on landing.

On Rwy 10 adding approx. 300ft for takeoff and adding 50-75ft for rollout.
Total length will be 2,950 -2,975 ft give or take.
Summary- very slight takeoff and large rollout advantage for rwy 28
very large takeoff and slight rollout advantage for rwy 10
The displaced thresholds will remain where they are- touch down points will not change as of now or when extensions are complete. The electric pole will remain in the same spot on the west end.
I hope we can cut some more trees but no guarantees on that. ( not our property off either end)
We should have more drain tile installed on the anticipated 300 ft on the west end Spring of 2020.

Hopefully this answers any questions.

Back